Melanie Phillips Backing Repubs?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Melanie Phillips may well have a point here. She's currently in the U.S.A. discussing politics e.t.c. with Republicans and Democrats. Her feeling is the defeat of Bush within Iraq will be seen as the first sign of weakness within the U.S. itself (setting aside the rights or wrongs of the particular policy).
These aren't necessarily my views but she comments:
"To vote in a bunch of people who have no stomach at all for fighting for the country’s defence, simply through impatience that the country hasn’t fought for it effectively enough, betrays serious confusion and lack of resolve. And it is precisely that which will now give such heart to our enemies. Have they not said, over and over again, that the west no longer has the determination or staying power to fight for its beliefs?" I think what she means is extremist Jihadists may see these elections in the same way as the abandonment by Israel of the settlements which seemed to have thje opposite effect and actually triggered more attacks against Israel.
There is probably a fine line between abandoning a flawed policy and showing signs of defeat so, yes, the U.S. is now in unchartered waters.
"The American public, by contrast, does not by and large seem to think the war was illegitimate. President Bush’s crime was simply not to have won it. The Americans never expected a fight in Iraq; now they’ve got one, and it’s messy and bloody and mistakes have been made and there seems to be no end to it, they want to cut their losses and get out." MP

Carrera said:
Melanie Phillips may well have a point here. She's currently in the U.S.A. discussing politics e.t.c. with Republicans and Democrats. Her feeling is the defeat of Bush within Iraq will be seen as the first sign of weakness within the U.S. itself (setting aside the rights or wrongs of the particular policy).

Repubs have been talking about bailing from Iraq in Public for the last two years, and in a bizarre twist Democrats have backed Republican policies on Iraq pretty consistently in terms of actual votes cast.

What's new ? Nothing.

The violence in Iraq was inevitable (because there was zero planning for post-war and even less preparation), having the war hit the US in where it hurts (in the wallet) was inevitable and the US bailing from Iraq *is* inevitable - whether it be tomorrow or fifty years from now.

The problem with Mel is that she is mortally afraid of reality. You can't expect a hysterical racist to make any kind of rational reasoned assessment of world events.

I think Melanie Phillips is very well informed indeed and she knows her subject. That doesn't mean I agree with everything she says. I disagree with her view on the Iraq War and I think she's ignoring some pretty basic points we need to be aware of:
Firstly, I believe Junior and his associates simply exploited 9/11 and they must have known from day one this had nothing to do with Iraq.
Secondly, Melanie isn't being realistic about American power. That is, no matter how big an army you may have, democracy and freedom simply cannot be forced on other countries. You can drag the mule to the trough but you can't force the mule to drink.
There has to be some understanding of the fabrics of these remote societies, what makes them different e.t.c.

darkboong said:
Repubs have been talking about bailing from Iraq in Public for the last two years, and in a bizarre twist Democrats have backed Republican policies on Iraq pretty consistently in terms of actual votes cast.

What's new ? Nothing.

The violence in Iraq was inevitable (because there was zero planning for post-war and even less preparation), having the war hit the US in where it hurts (in the wallet) was inevitable and the US bailing from Iraq *is* inevitable - whether it be tomorrow or fifty years from now.

The problem with Mel is that she is mortally afraid of reality. You can't expect a hysterical racist to make any kind of rational reasoned assessment of world events.

Where I do agree with her is the current situation now seems to have weakened the U.S. All of a sudden you have Bush scratching his head and saying he's open to any suggestions as to what to do. Meantime the Democrats are talking about cutting and running.
So, if and when the troops are pulled out, there will be all sort of implications. The Sunni Moslems may well be targeted by Shia and Kurds as a minority group with death squads running wild all over the country. Terrorist bases may become established within Iraq now the Bath Party has been removed.
The most radical extremists may well also conclude their tactics are working and, as MP has warned, may attack America directly in the coming months, i.e. a major city.
One last word of warning to all: Let's not forget another Al Quaida attack could totally transform Bush's current situation within the U.S.
If no attack happens, the Democrats will sweep into office. If an attack does happen, however, Bush could become stronger and more influential than ever and Americans could also lose much of their freedoms.

darkboong said:

What's new ? Nothing.