    An informal game of touch football and BBQ has been organised at Hawthorn’s homeland (The Mellow-drome). The idea is to have a small game followed by a few Beers and a BBQ to talk crap about bike related stuff. If you have not played Touch Football before, don’t worry. The rules are very simple and it is a non-contact sport.

    Date: Sunday 12th November
    Time: 4:30pm (BBQ @ 6:00pm)

    Please see attached flyer for full details:
    http://hawthorncycling.org/documents/hcc_touch_football.pdf

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > As the title duly suggests; combining ball sports & cycling. Hmmm it
    > should appeal to the populace. :p
    >
    > *******
    >
    > HCC touch football and BBQ
    > An informal game of touch football and BBQ has been organised at
    > Hawthorn's homeland (The Mellow-drome). The idea is to have a small
    > game followed by a few Beers and a BBQ to talk crap about bike related
    > stuff. If you have not played Touch Football before, don't worry. The
    > rules are very simple and it is a non-contact sport.

    Touch "rugby" is actually a contact sport, but it's a non-tackle sport.
    The difference is sometimes blurry between contact (ie: touch) and
    tackle (ie: kill!). But yes, the rules are simple, it's rugby league
    without tackling.

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    So that answers a few fears, ie: no thumb up the bum in the scrum.

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > >
    > > Touch "rugby" is actually a contact sport, but it's a non-tackle
    > > sport.
    > > The difference is sometimes blurry between contact (ie: touch) and
    > > tackle (ie: kill!). But yes, the rules are simple, it's rugby league
    > > without tackling.

    > So that answers a few fears, ie: no thumb up the bum in the scrum.

    One would hope not, unless that's your thing :)

  5. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    They should combine real football (aka soccer) and bikes. Would be heaps of fun.

    Have played a version that used a go-kart tyre and was more of a brandy. Was great fun as foot was only method of projecting tyre. Ended when there was a blood nose due to tyre in face incident. Also a couple of pretty funny crashes on Bitumen. :D

  6. Paulie-AU wrote:
    > They should combine real football (aka soccer) and bikes. Would be
    > heaps of fun.
    >
    > Have played a version that used a go-kart tyre and was more of a
    > brandy. Was great fun as foot was only method of projecting tyre.
    > Ended when there was a blood nose due to tyre in face incident. Also a
    > couple of pretty funny crashes on Bitumen. :D

    I did once witness a two a side soccer game played with Land Rovers (provided by
    the L/R factory). It was ... short. Surviving vehicles were winched apart &
    limped off the field. Ball was approx 2 metres tall.

    --
    Karen

    "Reverse the polarity and invert the particle flux!"
    "You mean put the batteries in the other way?"
    "...yes."
    -Star Trek (any of them)

  7. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Duracell Bunny wrote:
    > Paulie-AU wrote:
    >
    >> They should combine real football (aka soccer) and bikes. Would be
    >> heaps of fun.
    >>
    >> Have played a version that used a go-kart tyre and was more of a
    >> brandy. Was great fun as foot was only method of projecting tyre.
    >> Ended when there was a blood nose due to tyre in face incident. Also a
    >> couple of pretty funny crashes on Bitumen. :D
    >>

    > I did once witness a two a side soccer game played with Land Rovers
    > (provided by the L/R factory). It was ... short. Surviving vehicles were
    > winched apart & limped off the field. Ball was approx 2 metres tall.

    In Arles (Southern France) they have two teams plus a full size bull in
    some matches. gives a new meaning to offside

    --
    Remove norubbish to reply

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Or you can be truly hardcore & try bike polo:
    http://www.polo-velo.net/english/index.htm

    Melbourne site, although I'm not sure if this is still happening. Hippy was involved at one point. Cooo-eeee Hippy!
    http://bikepolo.larrymite.com.au/

    "Bike Polo is 100% Fistworthy and provides a glimmer of self-respecting hope in the otherwise ever-expanding gaseous envelope of sniveling, weak dogs (aka society)." - Steve Foxx

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    posted to club's yahoo group :D:D:D you gotta larf...

    "What's the HCC Velofest?
    It's and excuse for loose talk and foolish behaviour;
    It's the annual 2006 HCC awards day;
    It's a BBQ
    It's an afternoon of novelty races and events;
    It's a family outing;
    It's all of the above and more;
    But above all, it's NOT to be missed!

    Where: The Hawthorn Mellowdrome (Melways Ref 59E3)
    When: 1pm, Sunday 26 November
    What to bring: Pretty much everything: something to incinerate,
    something to wash down your throat and something to put your bottom
    on (e.g. bike saddle or seat)....and a bike if you'd like to take
    part in the tomfoolery....which is:

    Eggceptional bike handler: the 1/2 lap egg and spoon race
    Piece de resistance: roll 'race' (who can roll the furtherst after a 1/2 lap wind up)
    Courier Comp: longest track stand
    Super Domestique: how many bidons can you stuff down your jersey and
    still complete a lap?
    Big Foot: establish a new land-speed record through the radar trap
    on Stew's scooter"