{Melb} Comms Games - Bike Parking problems?

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Been hearing on ABC 774 this morning about problems with bike parking for the Comms Games. It seems *if you lock up* outside a designated area that there is a chance your bike *could be confiscated*. So please be aware of this! Further stuff via BV website:

Riding around during the Commonwealth Games
http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=259&c=1292

The good news about the Games is that many people will have a good time and, when the event is over, we will have two new places to ride:

* the mountain bike course out at Lysterfield
* a handy bridge from the MCG to the Yarra

Over the period of the Games, however, you may find that it will be more inconvenient to ride your bike. The organisers have asked you to be patient with the disruption and cooperative those managing the traffic and security during the Games. We support this request as we make the same request of others when we run a bike ride. (more information in link)

cfsmtb wrote:
> Been hearing on ABC 774 this morning about problems with bike parking
> for the Comms Games. It seems *if you lock up* outside a designated
> area that is a chance your bike *could be confiscated*. So please be
> aware of this! Further stuff via BV website:
>
> -Riding around during the Commonwealth Games
> http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=259&c=1292
>
> The good news about the Games is that many people will have a good time
> and, when the event is over, we will have two new places to ride:
>
> * the mountain bike course out at Lysterfield
> * a handy bridge from the MCG to the Yarra
>
> Over the period of the Games, however, you may find that it will be
> more inconvenient to ride your bike. The organisers have asked you to
> be patient with the disruption and cooperative those managing the
> traffic and security during the Games. We support this request as we
> make the same request of others when we run a bike ride. (more
> information in link)-

I'm not in the city much, the new course at Lysterfield is fine, but you
have to GET to Lysterfield first. And the approach roads are downright
bloody awful, so therefore you become yet another cager driving there
and thus become part of the problem, not the solution.
This is typical of the politicians and engineers, they think we'll be
happy with that. I for one am not.

ray said:
I'm not in the city much, the new course at Lysterfield is fine, but you have to GET to Lysterfield first. And the approach roads are downright
bloody awful, so therefore you become yet another cager driving there and thus become part of the problem, not the solution. This is typical of the politicians and engineers, they think we'll be happy with that. I for one am not.

You can catch the train to Lysterfield though. There is a shuttle bus from Hallam station.

ray said:
become yet another cager driving there
and thus become part of the problem, not the solution.
This is typical of the politicians and engineers, they think we'll be
happy with that. I for one am not.
I don't think the politicians were trying to solve traffic congestion when they built the track in Lysterfield...
Where would you have put the course?

SomeGuy said:
You can catch the train to Lysterfield though. There is a shuttle bus from Hallam station.
There is? Do you have any more details on this?

Shabby said:
Botanic Gardens, close to the city and PT, plenty of undiscovered trails...
Yeah, an MTB downhill course in the botanic gardens would be world class :D

Walrus wrote:
> Shabby Wrote:
> > Botanic Gardens, close to the city and PT, plenty of undiscovered
> > trails...Yeah, an MTB downhill course in teh botanic gardens would be world class

> :D
>

> --
> Walrus

Well I believe that they held either a world cup or Australian
Championship there in the past so I guess yes it could be a world class
circuit.

A world class road cycling venue would have taken them to the
dandenongs or similar. The standard for the worlds is usually a minimum
of one 300m climb on a 15km circuit.

PiledHigher said:
Well I believe that they held either a world cup or Australian
Championship there in the past so I guess yes it could be a world class
circuit.
Seriously, in the gardens? Did they destroy the terrain? I must have missed that one. :eek:

Walrus wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> >
> > Well I believe that they held either a world cup or Australian
> > Championship there in the past so I guess yes it could be a world class
> > circuit.Seriously, in the gardens? Did they destroy the terrain? I must have

> missed that one. :eek:
>

> --
> Walrus

I think it was 1998, not sure whether they ran a downhill?

There is no downhill in the comm games.

PiledHigher said:
I think it was 1998, not sure whether they ran a downhill?

There is no downhill in the comm games.
I think I'm demonstarting my lack of knowledge in Mountain Biking. I just had visions of MTB'ers tearing up the Botanical Gardens into a muddy mess, but I shall bow to the superior knowledge of the forum. Thanks for the lesson lads/ladies.

PiledHigher said:
I think it was 1998, not sure whether they ran a downhill?

There is no downhill in the comm games.

wasnt it a roadrace, basically a raod version of the 'TAN' run????

Cyclocross?

But aren't MTB trails pretty low impact. I reckon there could be singletrack in amounst the bushes & it would only be a problem when a pedestrain gets bowled over.

cfsmtb said:
[...]

Interesting how many riders are on Beach Road any given day or commute to the CBD and with that aforethought and knowledge the CG Authority in its wisdom say they have "640 Bike parking spaces at ALL venues (meaning 640 in TOTAL)"...really shows they want you to ride there huh?

Not much detail on where the magic and rare 640 are, just that they exist spread across the State...I gather most of them are at the Basketball stadium in Leongatha...good luck finding themanywhere else ! :eek:

640...sheesh

rooman said:
Interesting how many riders are on Beach Road any given day or commute to the CBD and with that aforethought and knowledge the CG Authority in its wisdom say they have "640 Bike parking spaces at ALL venues (meaning 640 in TOTAL)"...really shows they want you to ride there huh?

Not much detail on where the magic and rare 640 are, just that they exist spread across the State...I gather most of them are at the Basketball stadium in Leongatha...good luck finding themanywhere else ! :eek:

640...sheesh

i think that number is missing a digit?
CG bought 6400 bikeparking bits off BV...

rooman wrote:

> Not much detail on where the magic and rare 640 are, just that they
> exist spread across the State...I gather most of them are at the
> Basketball stadium in Leongatha...good luck finding themanywhere else !
> :eek:
>
> 640...sheesh

Yep, no "official" bike parking at St Kilda for the Triathlon or TT. I
need to be down there at 6:30am for the Tri and buses don't start early
enough for me so was going to ride but don't want my bike "removed".

DaveB

flyingdutch said:
i think that number is missing a digit?
CG bought 6400 bikeparking bits off BV...
That makes more sense, just that this week the AGE mentioned 640 as the figure...( but then , should know not to believe the rAge anyway eh?)

any idea where they intend to put the "bits" they splashed out on?

rooman said:
That makes more sense, just that this week the AGE mentioned 640 as the figure...( but then , should know not to believe the rAge anyway eh?)

any idea where they intend to put the "bits" they splashed out on?

nope, but if previous Games org's are anything to go by i 'imagine' they'll be flogged off afterwards at keen prices???

A mate of mine, an ex SAS officer and bomb disposal expert, was talking about going to Melb to be part of the security effort. I haven't seen him for a while so I'm not sure if he went. I must call him and give him a list of bikes to confiscate for me. :D

SteveA

"ray" wrote:

> I'm not in the city much, the new course at Lysterfield is fine, but you
> have to GET to Lysterfield first. And the approach roads are downright
> bloody awful, so therefore you become yet another cager driving there and
> thus become part of the problem, not the solution.

Hey Ray, there's a good bush track route to Lysty. From your place take the
train to Tecoma. Ride out on Mc Nicol Rd to Birds Land then go through this
reserve's quiet trails to connect with Dargon Track near the Monbulk
Retarding Basin. Follow Dargon (a fair gravel track) through to Wellington
Rd, cross this onto Logan Park Rd, go down to Lamberts Track on the right,
follow this to Glen Track, turn left and go up to the MTB race centre.
Almost all on vehicle free tracks. Leave the car at home!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@