Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb



powinc

New Member
Nov 2, 2003
85
0
0
58
The tabloid tv coverage of is event is laughable. It was like the end of the world was near and cyclists ruled the roads. Come to think of it, wasn't Armageddon on tonight??

powinc
 
G

GPLama

Guest
fair enough.. its nice to get a tour of the city from viewpoints I've never seen before on a bike..

"Fullers Hit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bunch of wankers. Next bunch of idiot pushie riders I see will be fair game... "GPLama"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
>
http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/calendar/event_display_detail.php?event_i
> d=289
> >
> > 100th so it'll be a biggy...
> >
> > see you there....
> >
> >
> >
> > GPL
> >
> >
>
 

gescom

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
65
0
0
43
It was the first story on the 9 news btw. I liked Denis Napthine's "get a hair cut" line especially, straight out of the 1960's that one. You could see the guy from cm they interviewed was chosen because of how he looked. Talk about biased reporting, ended up watching the Simpsons instead.
 

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
0
0
Originally posted by Peter Cremasco

Well, there goes the newsgroup for the next week.


Sighted nothing on aus.cars yet.
Listening to 3AW was funny, Mitchell trying to crank up the issue and failing miserably.
Ride fun, but long. 500+ cyclists/skaters, plus one guy who RAN the entire distance. wow.
 
D

Drs

Guest
cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote in message QkH%[email protected]
> Peter Cremasco wrote:
> > Well, there goes the newsgroup for the next week.
>
> Sighted nothing on aus.cars yet. Listening to 3AW was funny, Mitchell trying to crank up the issue
> and failing miserably. Ride fun, but long. 500+ cyclists/skaters, plus one guy who RAN the entire
> distance. wow.

What was the point?

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it involves an assumption that
the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'." Bob Hawke
 
G

GPLama

Guest
yeah, running man did a great job... and everyone loved his work...

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:QkH%[email protected]...
> Peter Cremasco wrote:
> > Well, there goes the newsgroup for the next week.
>
>
>
>
> Sighted nothing on aus.cars yet. Listening to 3AW was funny, Mitchell trying to crank up the issue
> and failing miserably. Ride fun, but long. 500+ cyclists/skaters, plus one guy who RAN the entire
> distance. wow.
>
>
>
> --
 
P

Peter Cremasco

Guest
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:28:02 +1100, "Fullers Hit"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bunch of wankers. Next bunch of idiot pushie riders I see will be fair game...

It's started already. What DOES surprise me is that that post wasn't cross-posted to aus.cars. lol

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]
 

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
0
0
Originally posted by Peter Cremasco
It's started already. What DOES surprise me is that that post wasn't cross-posted to aus.cars. lol

Blahblahblah, usual crud. Ignore it, they'll be back to discussing dropping the clutch on the WRX next week. If anti CM chatter was constructive or even mildly humorous, I could be interested. Big thanks to Neil Mitchell, you can't buy publicity like that!
More here:
http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2004/02/63423.php
 
D

Duncan

Guest
"GPLama" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/calendar/event_display_detail.php?event_i d=289
>
> 100th so it'll be a biggy...
>
> see you there....

I didn't miss a single CM for three years until it eventualy became overun with arseholes. If they
stuck to a respectable speed, never spent more than a block or two on any road and avoided
irrelevant political tangents it may still have some value. CM should be out there showing how
practical cycling can be, not reinforcing peoples attitudes on how annoying cyclists can be.

As it stands today CM is a liability to cyclists. I've been on CM about every two years since and
each time I've been frustrated to the point of abandoning it. I seriously doubt any of the
'organisers' could give a stuff about real cyclist issues.

PS. My pushie is my primary transport and I'm pretty left wing.
 
T

Trollwatcher

Guest
> From: "Duncan" <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb
>
> I didn't miss a single CM for three years until it eventualy became overun with arseholes.

Out of the 530 people there yesterday, which ones were the "arseholes"? I'd be interested to know if
they are anyone that I know ;)

> If they stuck to a respectable speed, never spent more than a block or two on any road and avoided
> irrelevant political tangents

What tangents? Oh, I guess you mean silly things like bikes are fun, sustainable cities, people-
friendly streets and reducing our dependence on oil. I feel ashamed for having ridden in CM now.

> it may still have some value. CM should be out there showing how practical cycling can be,

It does.

> As it stands today CM is a liability to cyclists. I've been on CM about every two years since and
> each time I've been frustrated to the point of abandoning it. I seriously doubt any of the
> 'organisers' could give a stuff about real cyclist issues.

CM doesn't have "organisers". Shows how out of touch you are.

> PS. My pushie is my primary transport and I'm pretty left wing.

Defensive, huh? Sounds a bit like the "some-of-my-best-friends-are-cyclists" defence.
 
D

Duncan

Guest
"Trollwatcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC66B446.BDCC%[email protected]...
> > From: "Duncan" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb
> >
> > I didn't miss a single CM for three years until it eventualy became
overun
> > with arseholes.
>
> Out of the 530 people there yesterday, which ones were the "arseholes"?
I'd
> be interested to know if they are anyone that I know ;)

The ones that go as slow as they can, the ones that block the car that could've otherwise escaped,
the ones that are abusive to people just because they're in cars, the ones that decide to occupy the
lights through several changes just because they can.

>
> > If they stuck to a respectable speed, never spent more than a block or
two
> > on any road and avoided irrelevant political tangents
>
> What tangents? Oh, I guess you mean silly things like bikes are fun, sustainable cities, people-
> friendly streets and reducing our dependence on oil. I feel ashamed for having ridden in CM now.

They're all well and good, it's a pity they're given such bad publicity by being associated with CM.
I've seen people carrying banners for all sorts of political groups. I have nothing against these
groups, but it really dilutes any supposed effect CM is supposed to have.

> > it may still have some value. CM should be out there showing how practical cycling can be,
>
> It does.

It doesn't. It shows cycling as being extremely slow and disruptive. I prefer to think of cycling as
an extremely practical form of transport, not an opportunity to inconvenience people.

> > As it stands today CM is a liability to cyclists. I've been on CM about every two years since
> > and each time I've been frustrated to the point of abandoning it. I seriously doubt any of the
> > 'organisers' could give a
stuff
> > about real cyclist issues.
>
> CM doesn't have "organisers". Shows how out of touch you are.

I've met a lot of the people who arrange meetings and maps for CM. It's far more organised than they
care to admit. Like I said, I used to be a CM regular.

> > PS. My pushie is my primary transport and I'm pretty left wing.
>
> Defensive, huh? Sounds a bit like the
"some-of-my-best-friends-are-cyclists"
> defence.

Would you not speak out if you thought people were making your own cause look stupid?
 

prang

New Member
Jan 4, 2004
2
0
0
Duncan reads like a figment of someone elses imagination.

Duncan does not really exist.
 
T

Trollwatcher

Guest
> From: "Duncan" <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb
>
> "Trollwatcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC66B446.BDCC%[email protected]...

>>> If they stuck to a respectable speed, never spent more than a block or
> two
>>> on any road and avoided irrelevant political tangents
>>
>> What tangents? Oh, I guess you mean silly things like bikes are fun, sustainable cities, people-
>> friendly streets and reducing our dependence on oil. I feel ashamed for having ridden in CM now.
>
> They're all well and good, it's a pity they're given such bad publicity by being associated with
> CM. I've seen people carrying banners for all sorts of political groups. I have nothing against
> these groups, but it really dilutes any supposed effect CM is supposed to have.

You're talking absolute rubbish, or (to be charitable) you're talking about events that happened
years & years ago. I've been at every CM for the past 2 years and the only "political" banner that
I've seen was during the Nov 02 ride, which just happened to be the day before the Vic State
Election. The banner was from The Greens party & it said "Vote Green" -- nothing more, nothing less.

>>> it may still have some value. CM should be out there showing how practical cycling can be,
>>
>> It does.
>
> It doesn't. It shows cycling as being extremely slow and disruptive.

Because motor traffic is never slow or disruptive...

> I prefer to think of cycling as an extremely practical form of transport, not an opportunity to
> inconvenience people.

Are you sure you're not Harry Barber from BV in disguise?

>>> As it stands today CM is a liability to cyclists. I've been on CM about every two years since
>>> and each time I've been frustrated to the point of abandoning it. I seriously doubt any of the
>>> 'organisers' could give a
> stuff
>>> about real cyclist issues.
>>
>> CM doesn't have "organisers". Shows how out of touch you are.
>
> I've met a lot of the people who arrange meetings and maps for CM. It's far more organised than
> they care to admit. Like I said, I used to be a CM regular.

You admitted earlier that you went to CM for the first 3 years, and that you've been maybe twice
since then. Yet you claim to know a lot about CM and its inner machinations. So pray tell us who
"they" are, these shadowy "organisers"?! Name names if you can, but I bet you can't because you're
clutching at straws to prop up your specious argument. CM doesn't have meetings... unlike a few
years ago, when there were "monthly meetings" at the Sahara, these days no-one ever turns up. I know
this because when I first started riding CM in 2002, I went along to Sahara at the advertised
meeting time and I was the only person there! (Good coffee at Sahara though...)
 

wassupdawg

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
68
0
0
Hi all

firstly a few qualifications (or disqualifications, perhaps)

I have been on only one CM ride (the Burnley tunnel). I have always wanted to check it out but inevitably some BBQ or other thing (family) usually diverts me.
I was commuting home on Friday night and passed the Library but the sirens of BBQ called again...

I ride almost every day (commuting, wit de kids, or the sunday cruise or audax)

I guess my angle/query is after seeing the ensuing media coverage (which was amazingly altho embarrassingly high level on Fri pm!) do you think CM are going about it the right way???

The 'disorganisation' versus 'Organisation' angle just makes CM so easy to dismiss.
The press say "but its impossible to get a comment or negotiate without there being a spokesperson" so of course they just make whatever they want up and/or grab the stupidest looking git (Ch9 had a skanky looking guy who couldnt put 2 words together).

We all dream of less cars, sustainable public transport, less car use, etc but do we really think using CM's current methods is working in the right direction?

I cant help thinking that its like one step forward, 42 steps back!
We are never going to get instant gratification on this from public/govt, etc
The boring truth is this is going to take a long, slow generational change involving lobbying at grass root and higher levels but IMHO in a far more coordinated manner than CM Melb currently deploy.
Having a good spokesperson would be a first and huge step

thoughts/comments people?

as i say, i aint in the trenches as you guys/gals are but Im on the same side of no-mans'-land as you...
 
P

Peter Signorini

Guest
"wassupdawg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The 'disorganisation' versus 'Organisation' angle just makes CM so easy to dismiss. The press say
> "but its impossible to get a comment or negotiate without there being a spokesperson" so of course
> they just make whatever they want up....

> ..change involving lobbying at grass root and higher levels but IMHO in a far more coordinated
> manner than CM Melb currently deploy. Having a good spokesperson would be a first and huge step
>
> thoughts/comments people?

You do realise why there's no spokesperson don't you? J. Bloggs gets on the radio/TV as Critical
Mass' official spokesperson spellling out in a concise fashion the reasons for 1500 cyclists
occupying the Bolte Bridge (I reckon the press est. of 300 was patently ridiculous). Transurban
claims they have lost $5 million in toll fees. J.Bloggs gets the bill.

Public disobedience and mild anarchy don't work with a formal organisation. But Critical Mass
doesn't need that. It just happens - last Friday of every month at 5.30pm.

Cheers Peter
 
D

Duncan

Guest
"Trollwatcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC66DC22.BDD6%[email protected]...
> > From: "Duncan" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb
> >
> > "Trollwatcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC66B446.BDCC%[email protected]...
>
> >>> If they stuck to a respectable speed, never spent more than a block or
> > two
> >>> on any road and avoided irrelevant political tangents
> >>
> >> What tangents? Oh, I guess you mean silly things like bikes are fun, sustainable cities, people-
> >> friendly streets and reducing our dependence
on
> >> oil. I feel ashamed for having ridden in CM now.
> >
> > They're all well and good, it's a pity they're given such bad publicity
by
> > being associated with CM. I've seen people carrying banners for all sorts of political groups. I
have
> > nothing against these groups, but it really dilutes any supposed effect
CM
> > is supposed to have.
>
> You're talking absolute rubbish, or (to be charitable) you're talking
about
> events that happened years & years ago. I've been at every CM for the past
2
> years and the only "political" banner that I've seen was during the Nov 02 ride, which just
> happened to be the day before the Vic State Election. The banner was from The Greens party & it
> said "Vote Green" -- nothing more, nothing less.

I'll admit I can't comment on the politcal content in the last two years. The last CM I went on was
the previous Bolte bridge crossing.

> >>> it may still have some value. CM should be out there showing how practical cycling can be,
> >>
> >> It does.
> >
> > It doesn't. It shows cycling as being extremely slow and disruptive.
>
> Because motor traffic is never slow or disruptive...

It makes a huge difference if somone is doing it deliberatly.

> > I prefer to think of cycling as an extremely practical form of
transport, not
> > an opportunity to inconvenience people.
>
> Are you sure you're not Harry Barber from BV in disguise?

Quite sure, as Hippy and Peter Signorini can attest. (Pete, I'm the guy from Bikery with the long
red hair).

> >>> As it stands today CM is a liability to cyclists. I've been on CM
about
> >>> every two years since and each time I've been frustrated to the point
of
> >>> abandoning it. I seriously doubt any of the 'organisers' could give a
> > stuff
> >>> about real cyclist issues.
> >>
> >> CM doesn't have "organisers". Shows how out of touch you are.
> >
> > I've met a lot of the people who arrange meetings and maps for CM. It's
far
> > more organised than they care to admit. Like I said, I used to be a CM regular.
>
> You admitted earlier that you went to CM for the first 3 years, and that you've been maybe twice
> since then. Yet you claim to know a lot about CM
and
> its inner machinations. So pray tell us who "they" are, these shadowy "organisers"?! Name names if
> you can, but I bet you can't because you're clutching at straws to prop up your specious argument.
> CM doesn't have meetings... unlike a few years ago, when there were "monthly meetings" at the
> Sahara, these days no-one ever turns up. I know this because when I first started riding CM in
> 2002, I went along to Sahara at the advertised meeting time and I was the only person there! (Good
> coffee at Sahara though...)

I remember the publicised meeting point was a decoy for the real one. I knew several people who were
very vocal in CMs early days, but these were the days when I thought CM was handled a lot more
sensibly. I won't name them as I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it.

I am all for cyclists making a stand and being noticed. I liked the original CM how it would hold
people up just long enough for them to read the handouts the corks would pass around, by the time
they'd read it they were free to go again.

I decided never to do another CM after the previous Bolte Bridge crossing where they thought camping
at the top for 10-15 minutes was a good idea. That was pure power tripping and self indulgence in my
opinion. Seems like I wasn't the only one as I lead a breakaway group off the bridge with other
people who'd spat the dummy.