Melb - Critical Mass tonight 27th/Feb

Andrew Swan

Guest
prang wrote:
> Duncan reads like a figment of someone elses imagination.
>
> Duncan does not really exist.

Duncan sounds like a very real and sensible person to me.

&roo

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Public disobedience and mild anarchy don't work...
Cheers Peter [/B]

Your probably right about the liablility, etc
altho some may say that only gets you better coverage

apologies for highlighting the above sentence but it did rather stick.

Hitchy

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,876
Originally posted by Andrew Swan
prang wrote:
> Duncan reads like a figment of someone elses imagination.
>
> Duncan does not really exist.

Duncan sounds like a very real and sensible person to me.

&roo

G'day,

I agree with Andrew, Duncan is the only sane person making comment on this thread!. CM has added nothing positive to the whole cycling debate & has, (once again), managed to generate more negative publicity for ALL cyclists. Whilst we all agree with the sentiment, CM's execution leaves much to be desired,

cheers,

Hitchy

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,

I agree with Andrew, Duncan is the only sane person making comment on this thread!. CM has added nothing positive to the whole cycling debate & has, (once again), managed to generate more negative publicity for ALL cyclists. Whilst we all agree with the sentiment, CM's execution leaves much to be desired,

cheers,

Hitchy

Here, here!

sentiment, not sediment...

SteveDel

New Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,

I agree with Andrew, Duncan is the only sane person making comment on this thread!. CM has added nothing positive to the whole cycling debate & has, (once again), managed to generate more negative publicity for ALL cyclists. Whilst we all agree with the sentiment, CM's execution leaves much to be desired,

cheers,

Hitchy

Totally agree from the Sydney perspective as well. CM has great ideals but has totally lost it somewhere in the performance.

But as cyclists, what are our options? We definitely need to get a public profile for all the benefits of cycling both for us and the environment, and rubbing people's faces in it, is not the best way to go about it. All you will get is the reaction that our Melbourne mates got with the additional coverage of the Hell Ride on Sunday which was once again highlighting the negatives. Remember, it's media for the masses.

Maybe our respective Govt sponsored Bike Organisations are the way to go if we want to start changing attitudes, that and analyse our own riding styles, to ensure that we are not adding to the problem.

regards

Steve

"I ride to work, but I work to ride".

wassupdawg

New Member
Feb 28, 2004
See the letter in the Age this morning re the CM ride.
Now that's how to represent cycling and get a result!

SteveDel

New Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by wassupdawg
See the letter in the Age this morning re the CM ride.
Now that's how to represent cycling and get a result!

For those of you who are interested, I have cut and pasted it below. I agree with the "dawg", a good succinct response to a negative reporting campaign being conducted by media, which however, will still report the public perception and not the idealistic and long term aims of the participants.

Steve

Cyclists perform a valuable service

The 530 cyclists who rode over the Bolte Bridge on Friday night were performing a public service. Australians are getting fatter and fatter and less fit. It is time to persuade people that you don't need a car to get around.

If we made our roads more bicycle-friendly and persuaded people to use a bicycle for 5 per cent of their trips, we could cut millions of dollars off the health and transport budgets. The Critical Mass bicycle ride is a monthly reminder of the efficiency and joy of bicycle riding.

Roads are regularly closed for the Grand Prix, the Moomba Parade, the Great Melbourne Bike Ride and numerous festivals and street parties. The disruption to traffic was minimal, most delays being caused by other cars.

Let 's be glad we have citizens with the independence and imagination to get out there and make a point.
Helen Lee,
Brunswick

Letters to the Editor "The Age" 2 Mar 04.

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
thanks Steve
didnt have time earlier to find and cut-n-paste it

Is there a trick to getting a letter printed in the 'letters' section?

I have written a few but never get published...

coppershark

New Member
Feb 19, 2004
The best thing that the media could do would be to give no coverage whatever to CM.

All they need do would be to tell motorists that Vic Police/ CityLink advise that (name of roadway) will be blocked from .... to ...

I can only dream!