Melb-GardinersCk-SolwaySt Pedestrian Bridge Closure

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Apr 12, 2006.

1. flyingdutch

flyingdutch New Member

"12 April 2006

To the Resident

Dear Resident

Solway Street Pedestrian Bridge Closure

The Solway Street Pedestrian Bridge will be closed indefinitely.

The Solway Street Pedestrian Bridge has been assessed as potentially unsafe following erosion of the northern creek embankment during the recent storms.

Both Boroondara and Stonnington Councils have been planning to replace this pedestrian bridge and have allocated funding for a new bridge to be built 10m upstream of the existing bridge. Unfortunately, the current bridge has deteriorated at a rapid rate. Work on the new bridge is expected to commence in the second half of 2006.

Residents are advised that an interim alternate crossing of the creek is available downstream of the Solway Street pedestrian bridge and can be accessed from Winton Road.

Boroondara and Stonnington Councils apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

If you have any queries regarding the above please contact the Boroondara Traffic and Drainage section on 9278 4549.

Yours sincerely

Steven White

Manager Engineering and Traffic"

There was already moves afoot to build said replacement. looks like it'll now become a priority. more later...

Tags:

2. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

How much ped/cyclist usage does this get? Worth nipping down there with a clipboard & pen and asking peoples POV about it?

3. rooman

rooman New Member

easy to get around...but it is a feeder to the GC trail for many commuters...I used to walk my poochies up there in more sendentary days

4. persia

persia Guest

Sigh. I grew up mucking around on & under that bridge. It's a dog, but
    I'll miss it anyway....

Robin

5. peterlip

peterlip New Member

D'oh, this bridge is on my commute, joining Gardiners creek (or whatever the path that joins Scotchman's creek path with Gardiners creek trail is called??) with Anniversary trail.

6. flyingdutch

flyingdutch New Member

Aye. basically you can get 'back on track a couple of blocks west of the brdge' at Winton Rd

BBUG have been in discussions with council about the new one which was to be done basically this calendar year anyhoo. Have been pushing for something less steep/angled and leading more toward Sth end of Anniversary trail. Sounds like (more to find out today...) that the '10m upstream' comment they mention is along the lines we requested.
    PS new bridge will be wider. Plans were for 2.35m...

7. ghostgum

ghostgum New Member

After your first posting my first thought was "it needs to be wider". Riding up it with a tag-a-long or childseat is currently challenging. I got off and walked. Also, request rails that are horizontal rather than vertical which catch handlebars.

Perhaps they should also think about how it fits in with plans to link up to Gardiners Ck path east of Warrigal Rd.

8. flyingdutch

flyingdutch New Member

that's currently being scoped/designed by BCC/StonniCC/Monash
    ($30k grant this FY).
    This will presumably include the continuation of GCrk path to, and hopefully under the bridge to link up to path/s on east side

BCC+Vicroads are jointly doing a 'MissingLink' between Anniversary trail >> MarkhamReserve>>Warrigal/creek bridge (have council docs on this if you wann'em!)

So these 2 elements should combine to really open up the area to commuters etc :D stay tuned