[Melb] Kew Boulevard Ride this Sunday

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Euan

    Euan Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> writes:

    > So? who went?

    Me, few of the usual suspects; most importantly my wife :-D

    > How was it?

    It was good. Bikesoiler showed me a clean pair of heels on the second
    lap, guess I need to get out on some hills ;-) It's a road I've not
    ridden before, I've no reason to head out that way and the only reason I
    was there was for the event.

    It was nice to see all shapes and sizes, both of people and bikes, out
    and about. The atmosphere was great and I got some nice riding in.

    The free coffee was a great idea, it gave riders a place to congregate
    and mingle. While I was getting coffee I heard a couple talking about
    getting a new saddle for the woman's bike so I pointed Suzie in here
    direction who's just been down that route. Wouldn't have happened
    without the coffee :)

    > Suggestions/criticisms/constructive comments for next time???

    The road access to the lake was signed quite poorly. For that stretch
    of road cyclists were going two way on one side of the road and there
    was no signage to that effect. the road narrowing should have made that
    obvious but it could have been done better.

    Other than that all good :)
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Lake? huh? where was this bit??

  3. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    Did a quick dash in from Vermont and jumped onto the Boulevard from Johnston Street at about 11.30am. Briefly chatted to a friend coming the other way who said their was not much of a turnout because BV didn't let people know it was on until the last moment. I found out through the BV magazine but saw the signs on Chandler Hwy a few weeks prior, assuming that it was being closed for a race. At the coffee stand people were chatting in front of me saying that quiet a few of their friends would of come along if they had more notice. The coffee and hot chocolate was a winner.

  4. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Hmmm, looking at the map I am probably even more confused but there was a section under the bridge that runs over Yarra Bvd which could be Johnston St or Studley Park Rd (Melways map 44, H5) that was blocked off to limit bike access to one side of the road so that cars could use the other side. I think they were accessing Boathouse Rd looking at the map. It was the only spot where the road was narrowed to one lane for bike use. Not the end of the world but maybe a sign saying "Road narrows, stay left" would have been useful.

  5. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Dancier wrote:
    > Did a quick dash in from Vermont and jumped onto the Boulevard from
    > Johnston Street at about 11.30am. Briefly chatted to a friend coming
    > the other way who said their was not much of a turnout because BV
    > didn't let people know it was on until the last moment. I found out
    > through the BV magazine but saw the signs on Chandler Hwy a few weeks
    > prior, assuming that it was being closed for a race. At the coffee
    > stand people were chatting in front of me saying that quiet a few of
    > their friends would of come along if they had more notice. The coffee
    > and hot chocolate was a winner.

    How much notice do you need though? It's not like you need 6 months of
    training to ride the boulevard!

    I always bunnyhop the end of the split lane at the roundabout - the
    traffic on the Boule is so low at almost any time of the day that
    traffic is almost never an issue.

  6. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    I was thinking the same thing when riding it Friday night.. sun was shining, lots of people around getting fit.. and only a few (+- 1) cars around... I likes the boulie..

    I think I saw someone wearing ABOC kit in Ballarat yesterday.. I could have been mistaken though.. at the time I was getting a little dizzy riding around the lake..

    cheers,
    GPL

  7. roshea

    roshea Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    Messages:
    2,306
    I saw someone pushing a female friend up the hill ahead of me - of course I have no idea which of you that was, and can't remember if I passed you or not!

    Seemed like a reasonable turnout at 9:00 or so when I arrived, and the free coffee was very much appreciated.

    Overall it was a fun ride (not having cars / motorbikes there makes quite a difference to line to take for cornering!)

    There was certainly the full range of ages, sizes, abilities and bikes - great to see so many kinds of cyclists interested in this sort of event.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Wearing a Amys Ride jersey? Big bloke alongside on a ti road bike?

    ***Waves back***

    :)

  9. roshea

    roshea Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    Messages:
    2,306
    There were a few people wearing Amys Ride jerseys, so probably you were one of the ones I saw. A guy in one of these jerseys (on an older Giant Cadex/CFM?) kept passing me on the downhills and slowing down up hill.

    Anyway, belated hi to you too.