[Melb] Kew Boulevard Ride this Sunday

flyingdutch <[email protected]> writes:

> So? who went?

Me, few of the usual suspects; most importantly my wife :-D

> How was it?

It was good. Bikesoiler showed me a clean pair of heels on the second
lap, guess I need to get out on some hills ;-) It's a road I've not
ridden before, I've no reason to head out that way and the only reason I
was there was for the event.

It was nice to see all shapes and sizes, both of people and bikes, out
and about. The atmosphere was great and I got some nice riding in.

The free coffee was a great idea, it gave riders a place to congregate
and mingle. While I was getting coffee I heard a couple talking about
getting a new saddle for the woman's bike so I pointed Suzie in here
direction who's just been down that route. Wouldn't have happened
without the coffee :)

> Suggestions/criticisms/constructive comments for next time???

The road access to the lake was signed quite poorly. For that stretch
of road cyclists were going two way on one side of the road and there
was no signage to that effect. the road narrowing should have made that
obvious but it could have been done better.

Other than that all good :)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan said:
The road access to the lake was signed quite poorly. For that stretch
of road cyclists were going two way on one side of the road and there
was no signage to that effect. the road narrowing should have made that
obvious but it could have been done better.

Lake? huh? where was this bit??

Did a quick dash in from Vermont and jumped onto the Boulevard from Johnston Street at about 11.30am. Briefly chatted to a friend coming the other way who said their was not much of a turnout because BV didn't let people know it was on until the last moment. I found out through the BV magazine but saw the signs on Chandler Hwy a few weeks prior, assuming that it was being closed for a race. At the coffee stand people were chatting in front of me saying that quiet a few of their friends would of come along if they had more notice. The coffee and hot chocolate was a winner.

flyingdutch said:
Lake? huh? where was this bit??
Hmmm, looking at the map I am probably even more confused but there was a section under the bridge that runs over Yarra Bvd which could be Johnston St or Studley Park Rd (Melways map 44, H5) that was blocked off to limit bike access to one side of the road so that cars could use the other side. I think they were accessing Boathouse Rd looking at the map. It was the only spot where the road was narrowed to one lane for bike use. Not the end of the world but maybe a sign saying "Road narrows, stay left" would have been useful.

Dancier wrote:
> Did a quick dash in from Vermont and jumped onto the Boulevard from
> Johnston Street at about 11.30am. Briefly chatted to a friend coming
> the other way who said their was not much of a turnout because BV
> didn't let people know it was on until the last moment. I found out
> through the BV magazine but saw the signs on Chandler Hwy a few weeks
> prior, assuming that it was being closed for a race. At the coffee
> stand people were chatting in front of me saying that quiet a few of
> their friends would of come along if they had more notice. The coffee
> and hot chocolate was a winner.

How much notice do you need though? It's not like you need 6 months of
training to ride the boulevard!

I always bunnyhop the end of the split lane at the roundabout - the
traffic on the Boule is so low at almost any time of the day that
traffic is almost never an issue.

Bleve said:
I always bunnyhop the end of the split lane at the roundabout - the
traffic on the Boule is so low at almost any time of the day that
traffic is almost never an issue.

I was thinking the same thing when riding it Friday night.. sun was shining, lots of people around getting fit.. and only a few (+- 1) cars around... I likes the boulie..

I think I saw someone wearing ABOC kit in Ballarat yesterday.. I could have been mistaken though.. at the time I was getting a little dizzy riding around the lake..

cheers,
GPL

SuzieB said:
Bikesoiler and cfsmtb went by me with Bikesoiler pushing cfsmtb up the hill. I yelled at Euan to come back and push me. He put his hand on my back and immediately I felt the difference. Euan was really suprised as he was hardly touching me. We had no idea that pushing someone up the hill would be that easy.
I saw someone pushing a female friend up the hill ahead of me - of course I have no idea which of you that was, and can't remember if I passed you or not!

Seemed like a reasonable turnout at 9:00 or so when I arrived, and the free coffee was very much appreciated.

Overall it was a fun ride (not having cars / motorbikes there makes quite a difference to line to take for cornering!)

Euan said:
It was nice to see all shapes and sizes, both of people and bikes, out and about.
There was certainly the full range of ages, sizes, abilities and bikes - great to see so many kinds of cyclists interested in this sort of event.

roshea said:
I saw someone pushing a female friend up the hill ahead of me - of course I have no idea which of you that was, and can't remember if I passed you or not!

Wearing a Amys Ride jersey? Big bloke alongside on a ti road bike?

***Waves back***

:)

cfsmtb said:
Wearing a Amys Ride jersey? Big bloke alongside on a ti road bike?
There were a few people wearing Amys Ride jerseys, so probably you were one of the ones I saw. A guy in one of these jerseys (on an older Giant Cadex/CFM?) kept passing me on the downhills and slowing down up hill.

Anyway, belated hi to you too.