[Melb] Main Yarra Trail closure next week - Floating Pontoons Section

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    FYI - News just send to us from Bicycle Victoria

    **********

    Main Yarra Trail closure next week - Floating Pontoons Section

    Hi All,

    For your information:

    Our Yarra Trail website has details of the imminent closure of the Main Yarra Trail. As expressed on the site we are very disappointed with the consultation undertaken by Parks Victoria (Burnley office) and the alternative route.

    http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=174&c=1087

    I hope those of you who ride this route are not too inconvenienced and stay safe. I have been told that the trail will not be closed between Macrob Bridge and the Burnley Wharf boomgates – therefore the alternative route under the freeway bridge, past the Parks office and onto the back streets is an option although you will have to stay on back streets right through to Hoddle Street.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark Dixon
    Cycling Development - Trails

    Bicycle Victoria

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > FYI - News just send to us from Bicycle Victoria
    >
    > **********
    >
    > Main Yarra Trail closure next week - Floating Pontoons Section

    Thankyou for posting this.

  3. Friday

    Friday Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > FYI - News just send to us from Bicycle Victoria
    >
    > **********
    >
    > Main Yarra Trail closure next week - Floating Pontoons Section
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > For your information:
    >
    > Our Yarra Trail website has details of the imminent closure of the Main
    > Yarra Trail. As expressed on the site we are very disappointed with the
    > consultation undertaken by Parks Victoria (Burnley office) and the
    > alternative route.
    >
    > http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=174&c=1087
    >
    > I hope those of you who ride this route are not too inconvenienced and
    > stay safe. I have been told that the trail will not be closed between
    > Macrob Bridge and the Burnley Wharf boomgates – therefore the
    > alternative route under the freeway bridge, past the Parks office and
    > onto the back streets is an option although you will have to stay on
    > back streets right through to Hoddle Street.
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > Mark Dixon
    > Cycling Development - Trails
    >
    > Bicycle Victoria

    A trail with floating pontoons!
    Bloody hell you city people are spoiled. We country people have to swim
    across our rivers, which isn't easy with a steel framed bike!

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Friday wrote:

    > A trail with floating pontoons!
    > Bloody hell you city people are spoiled. We country people have to swim
    > across our rivers, which isn't easy with a steel framed bike!

    Ha! The pontoons are made of steel!

  5. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    and slippery to boot !

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    norh for mooch longer, according to PV personage. resurfacing the lot with diff stuff. According to the explanatn i gots on phonz they couldnt do it within a 24hr turnaround, hence the 1week turnaround. Things ripped up, repalced and left to cure for 24-48hrs
    Small price to pay for what is a easily taken for granted solution alongs thee rivarr.

    Then again citystink was suppoed to do same/similar solution bikebits along Bolte Bridge in their contract but Bracks rolled over and took it far too easily :(

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    You mean *on the Bolte Bridge*. The original specs included bikelane designs but it proved all too problematic, according to the *authorities*.