[melb]man hit & killed by cyclist

warrwych

New Member
Jun 7, 2004
1,009
http://tinyurl.com/sxmvq

And for once the scenario changes, and the cyclist "only" gets a traffic infringement notice. Of course, it's another vague account of what happened with usual assortement of assumptions (ie cyclist ran a red ped light, man dies as a direct consequence of being hit). It will be interesting to see what becomes of this one ie will the cyclist concerned get more than just a traffic infringement notice?

warrwych said:
http://tinyurl.com/sxmvq

And for once the scenario changes, and the cyclist "only" gets a traffic infringement notice. Of course, it's another vague account of what happened with usual assortement of assumptions (ie cyclist ran a red ped light, man dies as a direct consequence of being hit). It will be interesting to see what becomes of this one ie will the cyclist concerned get more than just a traffic infringement notice?

http://tinyurl.com/sy5x9

hmmm, right place and time for the Hell Ride too.

warrwych wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/sxmvq
>
> And for once the scenario changes, and the cyclist "only" gets a
> traffic infringement notice. Of course, it's another vague account of
> what happened with usual assortement of assumptions (ie cyclist ran a
> red ped light, man dies as a direct consequence of being hit). It will
> be interesting to see what becomes of this one ie will the cyclist
> concerned get more than just a traffic infringement notice?
>

> --
> warrwych

Good point. The Eugene McGee matter pales into comparison - at least
he faced more than a worthless traffic infringement notice. BTW - I
thought traffic infringement notices were reserved for car drivers, not
cyclists who run red lights? Is that what the man's life is worth - a
flimsy traffic infringement notice???

What a joke. I guess it would be ironic if the cyclist was "McGee".

I can already see the defenders of the
traffic-infringement-notice-cyclist typing "troll". Typical.

> Good point. The Eugene McGee matter pales into comparison - at least
> he faced more than a worthless traffic infringement notice. BTW - I
> thought traffic infringement notices were reserved for car drivers, not
> cyclists who run red lights? Is that what the man's life is worth - a
> flimsy traffic infringement notice???
>
> What a joke. I guess it would be ironic if the cyclist was "McGee".

Sad about the bloke killed, but what do they mean "he signalled he was going
to cross the road"?

Lucky(?) for cyclists that Dangerous Driving, Furious Driving, Predatory
Driving and Failure to Stop apply to drivers of motor vehicles or horse
drawn carriages but not to bicycles. (Crimes Act 1900 NSW).

They might have charged the rider with Negligent, Furious or Reckless
bicycle riding, under ARR 96A. 20 penalty units, the same as Drunk Driving.

Ideally you would want WOJ or some cycling body to be at the Coroners
inquest to find out what happened, or assist in finding out and making sure
relevant findings were made.

fb
in Sydnee

Fractal said:
Ideally you would want WOJ or some cycling body to be at the Coroners
inquest to find out what happened, or assist in finding out and making sure
relevant findings were made.

We'll try to make adequate arrangements to be there.

BTW for Melb bike folk, our "friend" Neil on 3AW was stirring the possum hard this morning by all accounts.

Stay calm, don't react to any silly provocations and enjoy your legal right to cycle on the roads. ;)

cfsmtb said:
We'll try to make adequate arrangements to be there.

BTW for Melb bike folk, our "friend" Neil on 3AW was stirring the possum hard this morning by all accounts.

Stay calm, don't react to any silly provocations and enjoy your legal right to cycle on the roads. ;)

A couple of quotes from the piece on 3AW up here: http://www.3aw.com.au/morning/audio/mitchell.mp3

nothing profound...

What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....

eddiec said:
What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....

Pantani had a crack at that, from memory there were still some denim-print knicks down at Uno ...

"eddiec" wrote:

> What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we
> cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....

Ahah! Maybe that's why I've had such reasonable behaviour from motorists on
my commute, I don't ride in lycra, just a shirt and Ground Effect
Ranchsliders - not immediately obvious as hardcore cycling gear. :)

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

eddiec wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:
>
>>We'll try to make adequate arrangements to be there.
>>
>>BTW for Melb bike folk, our "friend" Neil on 3AW was stirring the
>>possum hard this morning by all accounts.
>>
>>Stay calm, don't react to any silly provocations and enjoy your legal
>>right to cycle on the roads. ;)

> A couple of quotes from the piece on 3AW up here:
> http://www.3aw.com.au/morning/audio/mitchell.mp3
>
> nothing profound...
>
> What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we
> cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....

How about a leather jacket with a club patch?

Friday

eddiec said:
A couple of quotes from the piece on 3AW up here: http://www.3aw.com.au/morning/audio/mitchell.mp3

nothing profound...

What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....

I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger to curb their attraction.

Pat

vaudegiant wrote:

> I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes
> are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of
> shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger
> to curb their attraction.

You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:
> vaudegiant wrote:
>
>> I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes
>> are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of
>> shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger
>> to curb their attraction.

> You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!

No, but what they are jealous of is a trim fit body that can happily wear
lycra without embarrassing lumps of lard.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:26:09 +1000
cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>>
>> You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!

> Correct. Cyclists are Hot.

Up themselves mostly.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone said:
Up themselves mostly.

Pfffff, not as much as those moto posers. That leather gear is far more gahay than lycra could ever be. :D

Just a quick update, went to the SKCC/North Road "Ride of Respect"at Mentone this morn.

Plenty of media, choppers in the sky etc, but a well ordered and solemn group of around 100+ riders observed a respectful moment to reflect on the death of Mr Gould at 6:40 am today at Beach Rd Mentone

Melinda Jacobsen (SKCC/Amy Gillett Foundation) made an address and asked all present who ride to raise a hand and declare a committment to a code of conduct of safe riding, consideration and laws observance .

My camera packed it in, and the mobile phone shots are a bit small, so no effective pics...sorry...will be plenty in the press.

All bystanders were very respectful too, no eggs and cat calls as Hun Journalist Ferguson indicated (incited?) in yesterdays Hun.

rooman wrote:
> Just a quick update, went to the SKCC/North Road "Ride of Respect"at
> Mentone this morn.
>
> Plenty of media, choppers in the sky etc, but a well ordered and solemn
> group of around 100+ riders observed a respectful moment to reflect on
> the death of Mr Gould at 6:40 am today at Beach Rd Mentone
>
> Melinda Jacobsen (SKCC/Amy Gillett Foundation) made an address and
> asked all present who ride to raise a hand and declare a committment to
> a code of conduct of safe riding, consideration and laws observance .
>
> My camera packed it in, and the mobile phone shots are a bit small, so
> no effective pics...sorry...will be plenty in the press.
>
> All bystanders were very respectful too, no eggs and cat calls as Hun
> Journalist Ferguson indicated (incited?) in yesterdays Hun.
>

> --
> rooman

Was a little annoyed with the media cars driving parallel to the bunch
for so long, they were lucky not to get run up the back of a couple of
times, after a while they finally turned on their hazards, helped a
little but really how much just riding along footage did they need.

Every intersection had a photographer looking to get a red light shot.

PiledHigher said:
Was a little annoyed with the media cars driving parallel to the bunch
for so long, they were lucky not to get run up the back of a couple of
times, after a while they finally turned on their hazards, helped a
little but really how much just riding along footage did they need.

Every intersection had a photographer looking to get a red light shot.

sounds like they were waiting for the naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the office.

warrwych said:
sounds like they were waiting for the naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the office.
And you can bet that they will be out in force this weekend attempting to get the same photo opprtunities, and not just of the hell ride. I think overall it could be a very interesting weekend on the roads. Lets be careful out there.

warrwych wrote:

> sounds like they were waiting for the
> naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty
> again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those
> conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the
> office.

Or come back tomorrow?

Theo