[melb]man hit & killed by cyclist

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by warrwych, Aug 27, 2006.

  1. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Likes Received:
    0
    http://tinyurl.com/sxmvq

    And for once the scenario changes, and the cyclist "only" gets a traffic infringement notice. Of course, it's another vague account of what happened with usual assortement of assumptions (ie cyclist ran a red ped light, man dies as a direct consequence of being hit). It will be interesting to see what becomes of this one ie will the cyclist concerned get more than just a traffic infringement notice?
     
    Tags:


  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Likes Received:
    189
    http://tinyurl.com/sy5x9

    hmmm, right place and time for the Hell Ride too.
     
  3. warrwych wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/sxmvq
    >
    > And for once the scenario changes, and the cyclist "only" gets a
    > traffic infringement notice. Of course, it's another vague account of
    > what happened with usual assortement of assumptions (ie cyclist ran a
    > red ped light, man dies as a direct consequence of being hit). It will
    > be interesting to see what becomes of this one ie will the cyclist
    > concerned get more than just a traffic infringement notice?
    >
    >
    > --
    > warrwych


    Good point. The Eugene McGee matter pales into comparison - at least
    he faced more than a worthless traffic infringement notice. BTW - I
    thought traffic infringement notices were reserved for car drivers, not
    cyclists who run red lights? Is that what the man's life is worth - a
    flimsy traffic infringement notice???

    What a joke. I guess it would be ironic if the cyclist was "McGee".

    I can already see the defenders of the
    traffic-infringement-notice-cyclist typing "troll". Typical.
     
  4. Fractal

    Fractal Guest


    >
    > Good point. The Eugene McGee matter pales into comparison - at least
    > he faced more than a worthless traffic infringement notice. BTW - I
    > thought traffic infringement notices were reserved for car drivers, not
    > cyclists who run red lights? Is that what the man's life is worth - a
    > flimsy traffic infringement notice???
    >
    > What a joke. I guess it would be ironic if the cyclist was "McGee".


    Sad about the bloke killed, but what do they mean "he signalled he was going
    to cross the road"?

    Lucky(?) for cyclists that Dangerous Driving, Furious Driving, Predatory
    Driving and Failure to Stop apply to drivers of motor vehicles or horse
    drawn carriages but not to bicycles. (Crimes Act 1900 NSW).

    They might have charged the rider with Negligent, Furious or Reckless
    bicycle riding, under ARR 96A. 20 penalty units, the same as Drunk Driving.

    Ideally you would want WOJ or some cycling body to be at the Coroners
    inquest to find out what happened, or assist in finding out and making sure
    relevant findings were made.


    fb
    in Sydnee
     
  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    We'll try to make adequate arrangements to be there.

    BTW for Melb bike folk, our "friend" Neil on 3AW was stirring the possum hard this morning by all accounts.

    Stay calm, don't react to any silly provocations and enjoy your legal right to cycle on the roads. ;)
     
  6. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    Messages:
    423
    Likes Received:
    0
    A couple of quotes from the piece on 3AW up here: http://www.3aw.com.au/morning/audio/mitchell.mp3

    nothing profound...

    What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....
     
  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    Pantani had a crack at that, from memory there were still some denim-print knicks down at Uno ...
     
  8. "eddiec" wrote:
    >
    > What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we
    > cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....


    Ahah! Maybe that's why I've had such reasonable behaviour from motorists on
    my commute, I don't ride in lycra, just a shirt and Ground Effect
    Ranchsliders - not immediately obvious as hardcore cycling gear. :)

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ [email protected]
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)
     
  9. Friday

    Friday Guest

    eddiec wrote:
    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    >
    >>We'll try to make adequate arrangements to be there.
    >>
    >>BTW for Melb bike folk, our "friend" Neil on 3AW was stirring the
    >>possum hard this morning by all accounts.
    >>
    >>Stay calm, don't react to any silly provocations and enjoy your legal
    >>right to cycle on the roads. ;)

    >
    >
    > A couple of quotes from the piece on 3AW up here:
    > http://www.3aw.com.au/morning/audio/mitchell.mp3
    >
    > nothing profound...
    >
    > What is it about lycra that seems to offend so many people? If we
    > cycled in denim shorts would our reputation be much improved?? hmm....
    >
    >


    How about a leather jacket with a club patch?

    Friday
     
  10. vaudegiant

    vaudegiant New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger to curb their attraction.


    Pat
     
  11. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    vaudegiant wrote:

    > I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes
    > are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of
    > shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger
    > to curb their attraction.


    You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!

    Theo
     
  12. "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
    > vaudegiant wrote:
    >
    >> I think it is a bit like homophobia, where the most rapid homophobes
    >> are often closet poofs, and overcompensate because of their sense of
    >> shame. Many car drivers get off on lycra (who wouldn't), but use anger
    >> to curb their attraction.

    >
    > You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!


    No, but what they are jealous of is a trim fit body that can happily wear
    lycra without embarrassing lumps of lard.

    --
    Cheers
    Peter

    ~~~ ~ [email protected]
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*)
     
  13. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    Correct. Cyclists are Hot.
     
  14. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:26:09 +1000
    cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >>
    >> You think car drivers are jealous of your lycra? ROTFL!

    >
    > Correct. Cyclists are Hot.


    Up themselves mostly.


    Zebee
     
  15. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    Pfffff, not as much as those moto posers. That leather gear is far more gahay than lycra could ever be. :D
     
  16. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just a quick update, went to the SKCC/North Road "Ride of Respect"at Mentone this morn.

    Plenty of media, choppers in the sky etc, but a well ordered and solemn group of around 100+ riders observed a respectful moment to reflect on the death of Mr Gould at 6:40 am today at Beach Rd Mentone

    Melinda Jacobsen (SKCC/Amy Gillett Foundation) made an address and asked all present who ride to raise a hand and declare a committment to a code of conduct of safe riding, consideration and laws observance .

    My camera packed it in, and the mobile phone shots are a bit small, so no effective pics...sorry...will be plenty in the press.

    All bystanders were very respectful too, no eggs and cat calls as Hun Journalist Ferguson indicated (incited?) in yesterdays Hun.
     
  17. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    rooman wrote:
    > Just a quick update, went to the SKCC/North Road "Ride of Respect"at
    > Mentone this morn.
    >
    > Plenty of media, choppers in the sky etc, but a well ordered and solemn
    > group of around 100+ riders observed a respectful moment to reflect on
    > the death of Mr Gould at 6:40 am today at Beach Rd Mentone
    >
    > Melinda Jacobsen (SKCC/Amy Gillett Foundation) made an address and
    > asked all present who ride to raise a hand and declare a committment to
    > a code of conduct of safe riding, consideration and laws observance .
    >
    > My camera packed it in, and the mobile phone shots are a bit small, so
    > no effective pics...sorry...will be plenty in the press.
    >
    > All bystanders were very respectful too, no eggs and cat calls as Hun
    > Journalist Ferguson indicated (incited?) in yesterdays Hun.
    >
    >
    > --
    > rooman


    Was a little annoyed with the media cars driving parallel to the bunch
    for so long, they were lucky not to get run up the back of a couple of
    times, after a while they finally turned on their hazards, helped a
    little but really how much just riding along footage did they need.

    Every intersection had a photographer looking to get a red light shot.
     
  18. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Likes Received:
    0
    sounds like they were waiting for the naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the office.
     
  19. MalP

    MalP New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2006
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    And you can bet that they will be out in force this weekend attempting to get the same photo opprtunities, and not just of the hell ride. I think overall it could be a very interesting weekend on the roads. Lets be careful out there.
     
  20. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    warrwych wrote:

    > sounds like they were waiting for the
    > naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty
    > again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those
    > conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the
    > office.


    Or come back tomorrow?

    Theo
     
Loading...
Loading...