[melb]man hit & killed by cyclist

warrwych wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
>>
>> Was a little annoyed with the media cars driving parallel to the bunch
>> for so long, they were lucky not to get run up the back of a couple of
>> times, after a while they finally turned on their hazards, helped a
>> little but really how much just riding along footage did they need.
>>
>> Every intersection had a photographer looking to get a red light shot.

> sounds like they were waiting for the
> naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty
> again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those
> conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the
> office.

I thought they might get a journo to ride through one.

Dave"cynical"B

cfsmtb said:
Pfffff, not as much as those moto posers. That leather gear is far more gahay than lycra could ever be. :D
Gee I wonder what I would prefer to crash in. :rolleyes:

I did find that commuting to uni in shorts and shirt got far less aggressive behavour than roadie and lycra.

warrwych said:
sounds like they were waiting for the naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the office.

Was listening to ABC 774 yesterday, re; Jon Faines interview with Harry Barber. "Naughty" was a word HB was using a lot. Rather condescending?

cfsmtb said:
Was listening to ABC 774 yesterday, re; Jon Faines interview with Harry Barber. "Naughty" was a word HB was using a lot. Rather condescending?

For a person leading a peak cycling group, his key quotes represented in the media are not helpful to the cause at all. Methinks he has been puffing on his car's exhaust fumes a bit too long this week.

warrwych said:
For a person leading a peak cycling group, his key quotes represented in the media are not helpful to the cause at all. Methinks he has been puffing on his car's exhaust fumes a bit too long this week.

Nah, he's probably considering that BV have 40,000 members who probably like these kind of statements. Whether the cycling community concur or or not is probably not a concern. That's a disconnect that should be challenged.

On 2006-09-01, warrwych (aka Bruce)

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Was listening to ABC 774 yesterday, re; Jon Faines interview with Harry
>> Barber. "Naughty" was a word HB was using -a lot-. Rather
>> condescending?

> For a person leading a peak cycling group, his key quotes represented
> in the media are not helpful to the cause at all. Methinks he has been
> puffing on his car's exhaust fumes a bit too long this week.

It was mentioned somewhere a day or two ago that Harry represents
recreational cyclists and commuters, and certainly not training
roadies or MTBers (he wants to put a bike lane on beach road, FFS,
making it completely impractical to use the road legally for bunches
of any size). But I've never really seen him represent commuters
either. He seems rather biased towards segregation (witness his love
of the copenhagen model), instead of *practical* bike lanes. I don't
think he would have any problem at all if a law was introduced that
required us to use paths instead of the road if one was nearby.

I really wish someone would hurry up and usurp the stupid bugger.
Being the head of a peak cycling organisation, with such a narrow view
of what cyclists are, is rather deficient.

--
TimC
"Application encountered an error while failing. Error recovered

TimC wrote:
> I really wish someone would hurry up and usurp the stupid bugger.
> Being the head of a peak cycling organisation, with such a narrow view
> of what cyclists are, is rather deficient.

Yeah come on Dutchy, what's the next move toward world domination? :)

DaveB

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:20:30 +1000
Paulie-AU <[email protected]> wrote:

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Pfffff, not as much as those moto posers. That leather gear is far more
>> gahay than lycra could ever be. :D

> Gee I wonder what I would prefer to crash in. :rolleyes:
>
> I did find that commuting to uni in shorts and shirt got far less
> aggressive behavour than roadie and lycra.

Today I was passed by a guy in rolled up jeans and t shirt and
backpack.

On what looked, to my inexperienced eyes, like a fairly swish
roadracer type bicycle - very thin coloured tyres, low drop bars, what
I could see of it looked high end.

He passed me on the Harbour Bridge, neatly went round the chicane-like
gates at the end, rode at a reasonable speed down the ramp you are
supposed to wheel your bike down, and headed off into North Sydney.

I figured he could wear what he liked :)

Zebee

TimC wrote:

> It was mentioned somewhere a day or two ago that Harry represents
> recreational cyclists and commuters, and certainly not training
> roadies or MTBers (he wants to put a bike lane on beach road, FFS,
> making it completely impractical to use the road legally for bunches
> of any size).

News to me. I thought BV was keen on having a clearway on weekends, so
the left lane was available for roadies, et al.

But I've never really seen him represent commuters
> either. He seems rather biased towards segregation (witness his love
> of the copenhagen model), instead of *practical* bike lanes.

More news to me. I don't believe he is up for "segregation" at all.
Copenhagen is being tried in one location, to see how it goes. There
are lots of other ideas being considered, none of them intended, as far
as I can see, to do anything but enhance facilities.

I don't
> think he would have any problem at all if a law was introduced that
> required us to use paths instead of the road if one was nearby.

Guess away! I think you're not even warm. Why not ring up and ask the
guy?

> I really wish someone would hurry up and usurp the stupid bugger.
> Being the head of a peak cycling organisation, with such a narrow view
> of what cyclists are, is rather deficient.

Well you've defined your *opinion* of what his view is, with no
supporting evidence whatsoever.

By the way, ever done any actual work to improve cycling? Or do you
just sneer from the sidelines?

Persia

> --
> TimC
> "Application encountered an error while failing. Error recovered
> successfully, proceeding to fail"

"MalP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> warrwych Wrote:
>> sounds like they were waiting for the
>> naughty-children-trying-hard-to-be-good to lose control and be naughty
>> again. Re: the red light shot. vain hope of that, under those
>> conditions! They will just have to photoshop something back in the
>> office.And you can bet that they will be out in force this weekend
>> attempting

> to get the same photo opprtunities, and not just of the hell ride. I
> think overall it could be a very -interesting -weekend on the roads.
> Lets be careful out there.

They won't have to try too hard to get their cyclist through a red light
shot. I saw several today.