Melbourne memorial ride to honour the memory of ALL Cyclists killed whilst riding their bicycle.

Date : Saturday May 20, 2006

Assembly: Federation Square Footpath Cnr Flinders St & St Kilda Rd, Facing Flinders Street Station

Assembly Time : 10am

Departure: (estimate) 10:15am

Destination: approx 11-30am Footpath Parliament House Spring Street

Route: City CBD streets approx 5-8klms time permitting , several loops Swanston, Collins, Elizabeth Street

Bourke Street.

Protocol: Two abreast, stop at red lights, obey all traffic laws, no corking, move slowly at speed of funeral procession, wear black armbands, wear any signage you think appropriate to stop carnage against cyclists.

Invite: friends, family, to attend and speak at finish, we aim to have media, celebrities and cycling advocates address at beginning and conclusion.

Authorities are advised this is an apolitical, peaceful memorial occasion.

An initiative of Melbourne Wheels of Justice, Melbourne Ride or Silence and various BUGs of Melbourne

(note: The worldwide Ride of Silence will take place from 6pm on 17th May in the USA, this time is not appropriate for Melbourne, in winter in the dark on a weeknight, and thus for safety and visibility concerns the Melbourne Ride of Silence will take place on Saturday May 20 at 10am as above)

Other cities feel free to join us in this moving tribute to the memories of our cycling kin

Russel Mockeridge, Amy Gillett, Maddy Cole, Ken Kifer, and too many thousands of others in our communities and across the world have died whilst riding their bikes, it is a sad and poignant thing that too many have died doing what they love and celebrate in their life.

We shall not forget them, be there, bring friends!!

goodwun.

perhaps (dependent on numbers?)
expand the 'loop' to go up to Lonsdale, and hence get more exposure shoppers?
Perhaps also Bizcard-sized cards/paper to handout to quizzical onlookers to explain and spread the word?

I can design/print em if you want...

rooman wrote:

[chomp]

> (note: The worldwide Ride of Silence will take place from 6pm on 17th
> May in the USA, this time is not appropriate for Melbourne, in winter
> in the dark on a weeknight, and thus for safety and visibility concerns
> the
> _Melbourne_Ride_of_Silence_will_take_place_on_Saturday_May_20_at_10am_
> as above)

Hooray! Sanity prevails :)

Good luck with this, Rooman. I hope it goes well for you.

flyingdutch said:
goodwun.

perhaps (dependent on numbers?)
expand the 'loop' to go up to Lonsdale, and hence get more exposure shoppers?
Perhaps also Bizcard-sized cards/paper to handout to quizzical onlookers to explain and spread the word?

I can design/print em if you want...

Currently doing a leaflet, need some *black skivvie* advice in about half a hour or so .... :eek:

flyingdutch said:
goodwun.

perhaps (dependent on numbers?)
expand the 'loop' to go up to Lonsdale, and hence get more exposure shoppers?
Perhaps also Bizcard-sized cards/paper to handout to quizzical onlookers to explain and spread the word?

I can design/print em if you want...
yep that's the plan, numbers dependant , certainly Lonsdale and any shopper exposure is for us. Route will be clearly expounded on 20th at assembly, but we have dynamics on our side.

As for promo material and handouts, please feel free to paraphrase the outline or develop and print cards, all activity and contributions of work, help and promo items greatfully welcomed, we are all part of the cycling family and invite one and all to particpate in whatever positive way helps bring awareness to cycling and the memories of cycling kin.

Last year at the Melb ROS, we had one rider hand out small coloured cards for Maddy Cole double sided with a message and a photo, beautifully done and I still have mine, so cheers and thanks

cfsmtb said:
Currently doing a leaflet, need some *black skivvie* advice in about half a hour or so .... :eek:
Which Wiggle is that?

rooman said:

(note: The worldwide Ride of Silence will take place from 6pm on 17th May in the USA, this time is not appropriate for Melbourne, in winter in the dark on a weeknight, and thus for safety and visibility concerns the Melbourne Ride of Silence will take place on Saturday May 20 at 10am as above)

Excellent... great work.. I will be there for sure.

MikeyOz said:
Excellent... great work.. I will be there for sure.
bring buddies,

can we build list of names to read out? ,
even list some here so we can add to the list, and beats getting too many duplications or a full inbox on woj's email account..

I'm happy to scribe them down as they come in pref in format:-

name, date, place -any info on person (will help with the ghost bike project too)

Hey guys,

Great idea. Unfortunately I can't participate.

Not wanting to be a nark, but would you please correct the spelling of
Russell Mockridge before too many of these are printed off.

He was my first cycling idol as a kid and I clearly remember the shock
of his death at the time.

I hope your ride is s great success.

Stewart.

Stewart said:
Not wanting to be a nark, but would you please correct the spelling of
Russell Mockridge before too many of these are printed off.

He was my first cycling idol as a kid and I clearly remember the shock
of his death at the time.[/color]

Many thanks for spotting that Stewart, we'll try to get that fixed ASAP.

cfsmtb said:
Many thanks for spotting that Stewart, we'll try to get that fixed ASAP.

Spelling cow notified and fault now fixed. :D

Looks as if Sydney and Brisbane are organising RoS rides, will post details as they come to hand.

On 2006-05-03, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

> cfsmtb Wrote:
>> Many thanks for spotting that Stewart, we'll try to get that fixed ASAP.

> Spelling cow notified and fault now fixed. :D

As an added bonus, the cow was finally found to be able to produce
milk again. Who would've known it was the same problem?

> Looks as if Sydney and Brisbane are organising RoS rides, will post
> details as they come to hand.

Excellent. No Adelaide?

--
TimC
I've told them and told them: Temporal anomalies are different from

cfsmtb wrote:
> Looks as if Sydney and Brisbane are organising RoS rides, will post
> details as they come to hand.

QLD has the very sad circumstances of the death of Allan Scott
coinciding with this RoS (see other thread on Hit and Run death on the
Gold Coast). We are looking into options. Allan's funeral is being held
in Bundaberg, date unknown. That is several hours drive/train away or a
couple of days ride, so probably not an option. Another possibility is
riding to the Gold Coast (100km), meeting at the train station for the
less hardy, meeting up with GC riders, and proceeding to the crash site
to pay our respects. Train back to Briz. We also need to consider the
family and friends and whether this would be unduly upsetting for them.

Donga

fyi - Online Cycling News has announced the ROS for Melb in last night's second edition.

www.cyclingnews.com : news 2nd May, 2006

"Memorial Ride of Silence announced
A memorial ride to honour the memory of all cyclists killed whilst riding their bicycle will take in Melbourne on May 20, beginning at 10am, riding from Federation Square to Parliament House. The ride aims to gather media, celebrities and cycling advocates to raise awareness and respect of cyclists, and as a result, ride protocol is that riders should ride two abreast, stop at red lights, obey all traffic laws, with no corking and to move slowly at the speed of a funeral procession.

The ride is held as part of The worldwide Ride of Silence, which takes place in the US on May 17. Riders should meet at Federation Square footpath on the corner of Flinders St and St Kilda Rd, facing the Flinders Street Station for a 10am departure, with the ride taking in approximately 5-8km of CBD streets, plus several loops of Swanston, Collins, Elizabeth Street and Bourke Street."

Request:

great if all could copy The ROS ride info pamphlet and paste on notice boards at work, bike shops, supermarkets, any place that is watched or viewed.
Carry a few spares, hand out, spread the message, we would like as many cyclists from across all our cycling community, pro riders, club riders, commuters, families, MTBers, Rec., Shifterbikes, SSers, fixies, downhillers, crossers, BMX, Randonneurs, Trackies, shoppers, school groups, LOL's and bag ladies, all count, all have a voice to be heard and all are our family.

http://www.yarrabug.org/wp-content/RoSLeafletx3-3.pdf

cheers

Roo
Bicycle...Bicycle...Bicycle