{MELB} Memorial RIDE OF SILENCE 20thMAY, 2006

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by rooman, May 1, 2006.

1. rooman

rooman New Member

Melbourne memorial ride to honour the memory of ALL Cyclists killed whilst riding their bicycle.

Date : Saturday May 20, 2006

Assembly: Federation Square Footpath Cnr Flinders St & St Kilda Rd, Facing Flinders Street Station

Assembly Time : 10am

Departure: (estimate) 10:15am

Destination: approx 11-30am Footpath Parliament House Spring Street

Route: City CBD streets approx 5-8klms time permitting , several loops Swanston, Collins, Elizabeth Street

Bourke Street.

Protocol: Two abreast, stop at red lights, obey all traffic laws, no corking, move slowly at speed of funeral procession, wear black armbands, wear any signage you think appropriate to stop carnage against cyclists.

Invite: friends, family, to attend and speak at finish, we aim to have media, celebrities and cycling advocates address at beginning and conclusion.

Authorities are advised this is an apolitical, peaceful memorial occasion.

An initiative of Melbourne Wheels of Justice, Melbourne Ride or Silence and various BUGs of Melbourne

(note: The worldwide Ride of Silence will take place from 6pm on 17th May in the USA, this time is not appropriate for Melbourne, in winter in the dark on a weeknight, and thus for safety and visibility concerns the Melbourne Ride of Silence will take place on Saturday May 20 at 10am as above)

Other cities feel free to join us in this moving tribute to the memories of our cycling kin

Russel Mockeridge, Amy Gillett, Maddy Cole, Ken Kifer, and too many thousands of others in our communities and across the world have died whilst riding their bikes, it is a sad and poignant thing that too many have died doing what they love and celebrate in their life.

We shall not forget them, be there, bring friends!!

Tags:

2. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

3. piero

piero New Member

4. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Just emailed you. :)

5. piero

piero New Member

Thanks mate!

Is it my hotmail account? I can't login to hotmail at work, I will get it out tonight and thanks for your information!

6. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

I emailed your addy via cyclingforums, possibly hotmail? I'll send a pm too.

7. piero

piero New Member

Thanks mate!

I will try to contact the guy tonight!

Thanks again for da info.

8. rooman

rooman New Member

Piero, I sent you a PM, mainly relates to Bne, not Syd, had a crossed wire, but you know what I mean.....plus we need Donga to contact us for Qld update and ROS co-ordinator details up there that we have in train already...

9. super dog

super dog New Member

i will come along and bring some friends too.

10. charliechops

charliechops New Member

11. rooman

rooman New Member

Yes there is a coordinator for Brisbane

contact him via www.rideofsilence.org look at international rides and the email link to Bne.

Thanks for the interest, maybe you could help him with prep up there.

cheers

12. markpedal

markpedal New Member

Thanks for coming on board Melbourne, and the support you're giving to the Ride of Silence.

Mark Hagar
    Ride of Silence, Michigan Director, USA
    Ride of Silence, 2005-06 Grand Rapids Michigan Organizer

(Michigan has 25 confirmed Rides of Silence

13. rooman

rooman New Member

I know it may be a bit difficult for Adelaide to run an ROS in light of the debacle in SA over the DPP and its case against McGee, so if they can get one together great, use our Melb, Syd pamphlets as a guide and ask us here for any info etc...

Other cities, towns its not too late...in Michigan in the US they have 25 separate rides...it doesnt have to be a huge mega crowd for it to be successful, just let us know, set up the ride, your locals will get the drift and join you...5, 10, 25, 55, 100 + whatever you do will be a worthwhile contribution to the world wide spirit of the Ride of Silence...

there is good material at www.rideofsilence.org, press release pro formas, protocol for the ride...

your call on doing it on 17th( with USA) , or the 20th with us (Melb Syd, Bne)

what matters is that we have as many rides as possible, lets document them and encourage as wide a community response as possible,

every ROS we do is a positive step to raise awareness and remember the sad fact that too many cyclists have died and continue to die and suffer injury on our roads...

Black armband in memorium...plus RED armband if you have been injured whilst cycling from a motor vehicle incident.

Ride in memory, ride safely...but by all means RIDE

14. markpedal

markpedal New Member

Here's a link to an article that ran in yesterday's Grand Rapids Press, (Michigan USA), on the GR Ride of Silence and the Ride as a whole. (This will be online for 13 more days)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1D03111D

Mark Hagar
    Ride of Silence, Michigan Director,
    Ride of Silence, 2005-06 Grand Rapids Organizer
    www.rideofsilence.org

15. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Update from Jeff in BrisVegas:

Hello to you all.
    Just wanted to let you know the details of the upcoming Ride of Silence to be held in Brisbane.

When: Saturday 20th May. Ready for a 10.00am Departure. We will be leaving at 10.00am so make sure you are there before then please!
    Where: King George Square
    Distance: Approx. 5 - 10km. (Slow Ride approx 13-18km per hour)
    Route: King George Square riding the Streets of Brisbane (proposed route will be promulgated)
    Destination: Parliament House

Rules: Ride in formation (2 abreast). To obey all road rules. Ride as quietly as possible. A time to reflect on all our cycling buddies who have been killed or seriously injured whilst riding their bicycle.

Those who have been injured in a ride due to an altercation with motorists or due to inadequate cycling facilites (eg. poor road surfaces or poorly designed infrastructure etc) should wear a red arm band on the right arm (electrical tape will suffice) & those who have lost a cycling buddy in a serious road accident should wear a black arm band. This is purely symbolic & will raise awareness by all those people we pass as we ride.

Letters will be written & addressed to the Premier of Qld Peter Beattie, Qld Minister of Transport Paul Lucas & Lord Mayor of Brisbane Campbell Newman highlighting the daily plight of cyclists who travel on the roads of Brisbane & Qld & what steps need to be considered & implemented to ensure that safe cycling routes (on road & off road) are seriously considered to minimise fatalaties & serious injuries on our roads.

Please pass this onto any one you know who rides a bike or who would
    ride a bike if they felt it was safer to do so. Your support for the event will be greatly appreciated. Given the number of km's we all ride & the number of near misses we have all experienced on the roads due to poor planning. I ask that you spare some time to assist those of us who are attempting to make your lives safer on our roads. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

regards
    Jeff Isles
    jrislesAToptusnetDOTcomDOTau

16. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

*****Brisbane RoS: There's problems with the start location at King George Square & will be changed shortly. Update soon ;) *****

17. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Message from Jeff in Brisbane, please assist if you can. ;)
    Email: jrislesAToptusnetDOTcomDOTau

RoS Brisbane details:
    http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations.php#international
    Notes: Saturday 20th May. Assemble at Botanical Gardens (Edward St. End) in time for a 10.00am departure. After riding through several streets of Brisbane City we will arrive at Parliament House on George St.

Hi Guys,
    I have just been committed to a project at work that i can't get away from which will see me out of Brisbane on the day of the weekend i had organised the Ride of Silence ride. Is there anyone on here who might be interested in taking over the running of this event on Saturday May 20th? Not a lot to do .. all the docos have been filled in. Just turn up lead people on a ride & finish up at Parliament House. The ride itself should take no longer than an hour. I could assist with getting out the Media Alerts to get more publicitiy etc.

If there are no takers then i will need to cancel the event.

Happy & Safe Cycling
    Jeff Isles

18. markpedal

markpedal New Member

Hi Everyone,

Please someone step in for Jeff and and help make the Brisbane Ride a success. It looks like he has most of it already set up, and just needs someone the be the Leader out at the Ride it itself.

I had the same thing happen at one of the locations here in Michigan, USA, (our biggest, just outside of Detroit) new job and travel requirements for him wouldn't let the organizer be there on the 17th. A couple of individuals volunteered to step in.

Let's keep the Brisbane Ride going, as it benefits all of us, globally.

Thanks
    markpedal
    Ride of Silence, Michigan USA Director
    Ride of Silence, 2005-06 Grand Rapids MI Organizer
    Ride of Silence, General PR Guy

ps. Had a great phone conversation with Chris Phelan, the Ride's founder today. He confirmed that OLN (Outdoor Life Network - US cable channel, which has covered the Tour de France for the US the past two years) will be out at the Dallas Texas US ride (original Ride) and film it this year, giving it national TV exposure.

19. rooman

rooman New Member

BRISBANE ....

Melbourne is fine, on track and no hassles,

Brisbane needs some Gold Coast , and/or Brisbane locals to help out...OK guys, spread the word....think about the recent loss of Allan Scott and find the time to do this.

Sydney and Melbourne are AOK, we are expecting huge numbers in Melbourne.

20. rooman

rooman New Member

[​IMG] Re: {melb} Memorial Ride Of Silence 20thmay,2006
    well...'tis getting close for the ROS on Saturday 20th in Syd, Bne, & Melb.

The International rides in the Nthn Hem. are tomorrow night, and OLN are televising the ride in Dallas Texas...it should find it's way onto the wire services and flow back here, as there are now over 240 ROS's happening across the globe.....so it is now or never everyone...

tell your friends , workmates, clubbies, worst enemies, anyone but tell them of the ride and to make a difference by being there and joining in.

come along and ride, offer to help out if you can and be an ambassador for cycling....

There is great detail on the website www.rideofsilence.org and the Melb Brochure is available to copy, print and distribute by all here:

http://www.yarrabug.org/wp-content/RoSLeafletx3-3.pdf

RIDE OF SILENCE SATURDAY MAY 20 AT 10AM.. it is a moment in history...don't miss it!