[Melb] race up the Templestowe HCC course?

Bleve

Guest
During a beery (ok, cab-sav ... we are roadies at heart at aboc HQ)
night, my housemate & I discussed the possibility of running a race
(maybe a TT?) up the Templestowe Hillclimb course. We're trying to
think of a way to make it a race rather than a TT (yuk ...) but even a
TT would be considerably more interesting than a normal TT given the
nature of the course.

So, who'd be interested? It'd be a 'run what you brung' sort of thing
I suspect, the only limit being human power (ie: 'bents can try it
too ...). Maybe as an annual event? The 'Vertical Kilo' maybe? Maybe
we could have a weight based handicap or similar (combined weight of
HPV & rider)

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> During a beery (ok, cab-sav ... we are roadies at heart at aboc HQ)
> night, my housemate & I discussed the possibility of running a race
> (maybe a TT?) up the Templestowe Hillclimb course. We're trying to
> think of a way to make it a race rather than a TT (yuk ...) but even a
> TT would be considerably more interesting than a normal TT given the
> nature of the course.
>
> So, who'd be interested? It'd be a 'run what you brung' sort of thing
> I suspect, the only limit being human power (ie: 'bents can try it
> too ...). Maybe as an annual event? The 'Vertical Kilo' maybe? Maybe
> we could have a weight based handicap or similar (combined weight of
> HPV & rider)

It would certainly make for an interesting race....especially when everyone
starts drifting to the left with the camber of the road on the steepest
part!!! The best bit would be that the "sprint finish" would take place at
about 5km/h or so - you would definitely have to have someone with a video
camera at the top!! I would definately be keen to have a crack at that for
a laugh, especially if I get some sort of advantage for weighing a lot - let
us know if you manage to get it up and running!!!

Maybe you could do it one evening and then have a second race once it got
dark - that would be hilarious!!!!

You might want to have someone medically trained standing by - I normally
hit about 195 bpm or so at the top of that climb!!

Gags

On Dec 17, 11:30 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> During a beery (ok, cab-sav ... we are roadies at heart at aboc HQ)
> night, my housemate & I discussed the possibility of running a race
> (maybe a TT?) up the Templestowe Hillclimb course. We're trying to
> think of a way to make it a race rather than a TT (yuk ...) but even a
> TT would be considerably more interesting than a normal TT given the
> nature of the course.
>
> So, who'd be interested? It'd be a 'run what you brung' sort of thing
> I suspect, the only limit being human power (ie: 'bents can try it
> too ...). Maybe as an annual event? The 'Vertical Kilo' maybe? Maybe
> we could have a weight based handicap or similar (combined weight of
> HPV & rider)

What about having a combined time for both directions?

phillip brown

On Dec 18, 12:08 pm, phillip brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 11:30 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > During a beery (ok, cab-sav ... we are roadies at heart at aboc HQ)
> > night, my housemate & I discussed the possibility of running a race
> > (maybe a TT?) up the Templestowe Hillclimb course. We're trying to
> > think of a way to make it a race rather than a TT (yuk ...) but even a
> > TT would be considerably more interesting than a normal TT given the
> > nature of the course.

> > So, who'd be interested? It'd be a 'run what you brung' sort of thing
> > I suspect, the only limit being human power (ie: 'bents can try it
> > too ...). Maybe as an annual event? The 'Vertical Kilo' maybe? Maybe
> > we could have a weight based handicap or similar (combined weight of
> > HPV & rider)

> What about having a combined time for both directions?

Will you pay for the liability insurance and 1st aid people? :)

On Dec 19, 2:42 pm, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 12:08 pm, phillip brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 17, 11:30 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > During a beery (ok, cab-sav ... we are roadies at heart at aboc HQ)
> > > night, my housemate & I discussed the possibility of running a race
> > > (maybe a TT?) up the Templestowe Hillclimb course. We're trying to
> > > think of a way to make it a race rather than a TT (yuk ...) but even a
> > > TT would be considerably more interesting than a normal TT given the
> > > nature of the course.

> > > So, who'd be interested? It'd be a 'run what you brung' sort of thing
> > > I suspect, the only limit being human power (ie: 'bents can try it
> > > too ...). Maybe as an annual event? The 'Vertical Kilo' maybe? Maybe
> > > we could have a weight based handicap or similar (combined weight of
> > > HPV & rider)

> > What about having a combined time for both directions?

> Will you pay for the liability insurance and 1st aid people? :)

What, you think a few hay bales at the bottom won't cut it?

phillip brown