{Melb}So - who got a caution this morning?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    From BV's Lights surveys:
    http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=259&c=2123

    "............. Shortest Day 2006: Police check riders on Canning St

    Police cautioned 17 riders on Canning St before sunrise (7.35am) of the shortest day (Wednesday 21 June 2006). 13 riders had no lights, 2 had front only and 2 had rear only. 48 Riders had working lights front and rear. Some working lights were not visible at the required distance of 200m and some working lights were obscured by clothing or backpack flaps. These proportions are the same as the average of the six lead in surveys to the shortest day reported below.

    The police reminded riders that lights are necessary after sunrise in conditions of poor visibility such as fog or rain. .............."

    Tags:

  2. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > From BV's Lights surveys:
    > http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=259&c=2123
    >
    > "............. Shortest Day 2006: Police check riders on Canning St
    >
    > Police cautioned 17 riders on Canning St before sunrise (7.35am) of the
    > shortest day (Wednesday 21 June 2006). 13 riders had no lights, 2 had
    > front only and 2 had rear only. 48 Riders had working lights front and
    > rear. Some working lights were not visible at the required distance of
    > 200m and some working lights were obscured by clothing or backpack
    > flaps. These proportions are the same as the average of the six lead in
    > surveys to the shortest day reported below.
    >
    > The police reminded riders that lights are necessary after sunrise in
    > conditions of poor visibility such as fog or rain. .............."
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    Good to see, too many people think bike safety = wear a h*lm*t#

    #(including dangling off the handlebars)

  3. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > From BV's Lights surveys:
    > http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=259&c=2123
    >
    > "............. Shortest Day 2006: Police check riders on Canning St
    >
    > Police cautioned 17 riders on Canning St before sunrise (7.35am) of the
    > shortest day (Wednesday 21 June 2006). 13 riders had no lights, 2 had
    > front only and 2 had rear only. 48 Riders had working lights front and
    > rear. Some working lights were not visible at the required distance of
    > 200m and some working lights were obscured by clothing or backpack
    > flaps. These proportions are the same as the average of the six lead in
    > surveys to the shortest day reported below.
    >
    > The police reminded riders that lights are necessary after sunrise in
    > conditions of poor visibility such as fog or rain. ............

    Meanwhile.. 10% of motorists drove past with illegal foglights
    illuminated and another 10% with no lights on.

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Also was the % of unroadworthies that drove past? Or unlicensed...?

  5. In aus.bicycle on 20 Jun 2006 19:02:36 -0700
    PiledHigher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Good to see, too many people think bike safety = wear a h*lm*t#
    >
    > #(including dangling off the handlebars)

    If they can see, then everyone else can, right?

    I do note that in low light conditions if I have my lights on so I can
    see well, I can only see what the light shows. If I turn it off and
    let the eyes adjust I can see a fair bit.

    Zebee

  6. Jules

    Jules Guest

    > Good to see, too many people think bike safety = wear a h*lm*t#
    >
    > #(including dangling off the handlebars)

    Exactly! And we all know that a helmet does SFA ;-)

  7. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    And in similar news, a cyclist has been terrorising pedestrians on the Eastern Freeway trail who are quietly enjoying their nightly "I'm a stealth ninja" walks - IN THE DARK.. The cyclist has been known to almost hit them without warning, then yell "LIGHTS"... and sometimes "LIGHTS - I HAVE THEM, WHAT ABOUT YOU!??"..

    ... though it does amuse me most of them will 'protect' their dogs by sticking a flasher on their collar... that at least gives me something to aim for..

  8. On 2006-06-21, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I do note that in low light conditions if I have my lights on so I can
    > see well, I can only see what the light shows. If I turn it off and
    > let the eyes adjust I can see a fair bit.

    I think it's fair to say that the point of lights is not about *you*
    seeing -- it's about *others* seeing you.

    Which means that, with all these SMIDSYs we see every day, they're
    utterly useless.

  9. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > .. though it does amuse me most of them will 'protect' their dogs by
    > sticking a flasher on their collar... that at least gives me something
    > to aim for..

    Then you have to guess where the lead (if there is one) is. I like the
    dog walkers who can't see a problem with them on one side of the path,
    dog on other side, and lead stretched across the path. :(

    DaveB

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-21, gplama (aka Bruce)
    > .. though it does amuse me most of them will 'protect' their dogs by
    > sticking a flasher on their collar... that at least gives me something
    > to aim for..

    I saw that for the first time lastnight, coming home from Tuesday
    Torture along the path. A dog, off leash, just off the edge of the
    path, with flasher. Hu-mans 20m up the path, completely not in
    control of their mutt.

    --
    TimC
    I am not afraid of heights, nor am I scared of falling. Height and

  11. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 04:33:35 GMT
    Stuart Lamble <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 2006-06-21, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I do note that in low light conditions if I have my lights on so I can
    >> see well, I can only see what the light shows. If I turn it off and
    >> let the eyes adjust I can see a fair bit.

    > I think it's fair to say that the point of lights is not about *you*
    > seeing -- it's about *others* seeing you.

    depends where you ride. There are places on my commute where I can't
    see well enough without them.

    But mostly I think the people who don't have them think they can see
    you so why can't you see them? Not realising that those who have
    lights have light-adjusted eyes.

    > Which means that, with all these SMIDSYs we see every day, they're
    > utterly useless.

    Well yes, in the day. Now the SMIDSYs you see (or don't...) every
    night, that might be different.

    Zebee

  12. treadly&me

    treadly&me New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006

    That's always puzzled me. Surely the easiest place to carry a helmet is -- on yer noggin? I reckon having it rattling around on the handlebars would just be a hassle.

  13. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    is that what those really bloody bright blue/white things are? Crikey!!

  14. treadly&me

    treadly&me New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2006
    Agreed - it's both. Especially on the trails and even in some side-streets you need lights just to see where you're going. On the other hand I don't care if others have got owl-vision, I can't bloody well see them if they haven't got lights.

    I have too many very scary near-head-on encounters with lightless riders.

  15. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:27:59 +1000
    treadly&amp me <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have too many very scary near-head-on encounters with lightless
    > riders.

    The Harbour Bridge is horrible for it. Always one or two. I am
    sometimes tempted to turn my lights off so the first time they realise
    there isn't enough light is when there is buzzsaw/leg contact....

    Zebee

  16. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-06-21, 531Aussie (aka Bruce)

    > Duncan Wrote:
    >> Meanwhile.. 10% of motorists drove past with illegal foglights
    >> illuminated and another 10% with no lights on.

    > is that what those really bloody bright blue/white things are? Crikey!!

    The bright ones on top are just HID lamps.

    The ones low down to the ground, are nominally fog lamps, but are
    usually very much the wrong colour to be actually useful during fog,
    and probably far too bright from same (real fog lamps are yellow,
    IIRC; and *ONLY* used during fog).

    I'm guessing the legislations for lighting is horribly outdated.

    I know that the legislation sets limits for how blue a light can be --
    in some cases, "blue" lights are merely HIDs which are really white,
    but because your colour balance is off in the dark, appear blue. But
    some blue lights truly are blue -- they are cheap imported halogen
    bulbs from Taiwan with glass that is dyed blue to make them look
    expensive. They actually cut the performance of the bulb, because you
    remove useful light from the spectrum (and convert it to heat, yay!).

    And I believe the regs set limits for how bright (as well as how dim),
    headlights can be.

    But HIDs, as we all know, are about 3 or 4 times brighter than
    halogens for a given input power. I'm not sure whether the
    legislation deals with input power to the light, or with output
    luminence.

    --
    TimC
    "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc

  17. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    i see. Thanks. I bet 80% of drivers don't know they can't adjust their headlights up, down, etc

    Also, has anyone noticed a lot of the new cars have a part of the left headlight that points right into the gutter? So, when they come up behind me when I'm riding, it looks as if they're right up my arse!!. It's a bit frightening :)

  18. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Might be frightening for them too - especially if you've got threadbare knicks. :D

    Actually this maybe a positive unintended side effect - motorists will give you more space...

  19. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    So in the name of safety, I should "prepare" my knicks with 240 grit before using them. Good tip.

  20. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Stuart Lamble wrote:
    > On 2006-06-21, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I do note that in low light conditions if I have my lights on so I can
    >> see well, I can only see what the light shows. If I turn it off and
    >> let the eyes adjust I can see a fair bit.

    > I think it's fair to say that the point of lights is not about *you*
    > seeing -- it's about *others* seeing you.
    >
    > Which means that, with all these SMIDSYs we see every day, they're
    > utterly useless.

    Case in point fifteen minutes ago, went to cash point to get folding
    stuff and was riding through the car park as any other vehicle would
    when a car starts revering out in to me.

    My rather loud remonstration caused a cessation of movement from the
    aforementioned vehicle. I pulled forward and gestured around me.

    Three rear lights, one on the rack, one on the saddlebag and one on the
    helmet. Batteries fresh as of yesterday.

    One ten watt Halogen, one five LED flasher on the handlebars and one
    front flasher on the helmet. Pretty loud cycling top too.

    Window rolls down, ``I'm sorry mate, I didn't see you.''

    Suggestion that she should try using her eyes results in a ``Get
    f&^ked'' response, maybe it's the volume with which I made the
    suggestion that caused that.

    My theory, a lot of ambient light which makes flashers pretty much
    useless. I far prefer riding on roads with no lights than roads with
    for that reason.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan