[Melb] Southbank bicycle radar!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

  2. Vintage

    Vintage Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > 29/10 - Constabulary are down there now, two bicycle patrol members &
    > one senior looking copper. Now play nice & say hi!
    >
    > HS: Police target cyclists on Southbank Promenade
    > http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22664611-661,00.html
    >
    > Ch 10 are down there filming. Also 'here's audio of Nick McCallum on
    > 3AW' (http://www.mith.com.au/images/3YawN_nm_yarra.mp3) from this
    > morning - discussing both sides of 'bicycle safety' issues. Rather
    > lengthy audio, hopefully can edit it down soon.
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    They say its only a matter of time before someone is hurt and killed on
    Southbank.

    Well I say looking at the Flinders st station intersection and fed sq
    crosswalk, its only a matter of hours till someone else is injured and
    taken to hospital. Based on what i see and the stats. Just because
    pedestrians don't travel at speed it doesn't make them not dangerous.

    And I actually had one jaywalker take a swing at me today.

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I was wondering where you were going there. Then it all made sense.

    One update today from Our People on the Spot:

    In one half hour (this afternoon) at the Queensbridge x-ing:

    - 12 drivers talking on mobiles (photos taken)
    - 3 southbound cyclists given 'advisory' warnings and possibly some freebie light giveaways from the police.