Melbourne bicycle shopping?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Yuri Budilov, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    there was recently a thread re: best Sydney bicycle shops so I thought I would ask about best
    Melbourne bicycle shops.....

    ?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    •In article <[email protected]>, yuri budilov wrote:

    > there was recently a thread re: best Sydney bicycle shops so I thought I would ask about best
    > Melbourne bicycle shops.....
    >
    > ?

    I really like Hillman Cycles in Brunswick, but am also quite fond of Walkers Wheels in Montmerency,
    I'm sure Cecil Walker's will appear in a lot of people list of best shops too

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    > I really like Hillman Cycles in Brunswick, but am also quite fond of Walkers Wheels in
    > Montmerency, I'm sure Cecil Walker's will appear in a lot of people list of best shops too

    Walkers is a really nice place, although limited brands are on offer. I buy anything there I can
    simply cause he is such a nice bloke.

  4. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    •In article <[email protected]>, John Smith wrote:

    >> I really like Hillman Cycles in Brunswick, but am also quite fond of Walkers Wheels in
    >> Montmerency, I'm sure Cecil Walker's will appear in a lot of people list of best shops too
    >
    > Walkers is a really nice place, although limited brands are on offer. I buy anything there I can
    > simply cause he is such a nice bloke.

    Yeah, Marcus is always good for a joke or a funny story from his last ride :), I still go there on
    occasion even though I now live in Brunswick.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  5. Fahel

    Fahel Guest

    Check these out...

    http://www.cbdcycles.com.au/

    http://www.jub.com.au/cycling/

    <http://www.bikenow.com.au/>

    <http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/shops.html>

    <http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/>

    <http://www.freedommachine.com.au/frame_welcome.htm>

    <http://www.deanwoods.com.au/main.html>

    '

    <http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/>

    Regards,

    Joseph Nehme

    __o

    -\<,

    ( ) / ( )

    "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    reader.news.telstra.net...
    > > I really like Hillman Cycles in Brunswick, but am also quite fond of Walkers Wheels in
    > > Montmerency, I'm sure Cecil Walker's will appear in a lot of people list of best shops too
    >
    > Walkers is a really nice place, although limited brands are on offer. I buy anything there I can
    > simply cause he is such a nice bloke.

    ---

  6. Drs

    Drs Guest

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Agree with above, Walkers Wheels, plus Abbotsford Cycles & Spoke(n). The LBS you prefer tends to align with what you actually need. Components ? New Bike? Friendly chat? etc.

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "yuri budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > there was recently a thread re: best Sydney bicycle shops so I thought I would ask about best
    > Melbourne bicycle shops.....

    I used and recommend: Cecil Walker Cycles, CBD BikeLife, Hawthorn Croydon Cycleworks, Croydon
    Phantom Cycles, online and a few others I can't remember.

    hippy

  9. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks guys, that’s all well and good. But here in sleepy hollow (Geelong), we have one particular store that does not want to know you, if your budget is under $3k.

    Here our local dealers and I try to support them when I can.

    1. Campone, a lovely couple runs the place. Stocks Trek, Merida and one Cannondale, but I think it was sold last time I was in.
    2. Hendry's, out at Ocaen Grove and is a nice ride to get to. Stocks Trek and Trek/Lamond.
    3.Bikepower in Belmont, stocks Shogun.
    4. Marshalls, in Nth Geelong have two nice guys run this place and stocks Specialized, Avanti and GT.
    5.Geelong City Cycles does not stock road bikes. X-mas and birthday presents only.
    6.DeGrandi's, $500,000 worth of stock and $1,000,000 worth or attitude.

    powinc

  10. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    powinc <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... [snip]

    > 6.DeGrandi's, $500,000 worth of stock and $1,000,000 worth or attitude.

    ah, Man , I love that. Spot on

    RMan

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Cecil Walker

    up until recently I would have said the same but recent experience has burnt me somewhat. Apart from some truly appalling mechanical work done there, the attitude of some staff is getting very "you are here for me, Im not here for you"

    If Leigh from CW opened up his own place (watch this space) he would make a killing.
    Sadly the current owner of CW doesnt appear to give a stuff anymore. He recently lamented out loud in the shop "I should close this place and just rent it out. I'd make more money and could do something I enjoy".
    Sad really...

    My favourite ride was built by CW but recently I looked at upgrading to Chorus but ended up going to Cycleworks-Box Hill
    Not too big (probably growing tho...) and excellent, no bull advice and service. Having purchased 2 bikes, 2.5k worth of groupset/wheels, and mechanical work over the last 6 months there, I'll go back.
    Good service costs nothing. Having your heart in it is another matter that some just dont get...

  12. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Forgive the typo, I'd had a couple Sat night before typing this reply. It should read:

    6.DeGrandi's, $500,000 worth of stock and $1,000,000 worth of attitude.

  13. Stu

    Stu Guest

    "powinc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Forgive the typo, I'd had a couple Sat night before typing this reply. It
    should read:

    >6.DeGrandi's, $500,000 worth of stock and $1,000,000 worth of attitude.
    Did you have a couple on Monday night before typing this one???? Coz to me they are the same. Or
    have I missed something?(wouldnt be the first time) stu

  14. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    > Forgive the typo, I'd had a couple Sat night before typing this reply. It
    should read:

    >6.DeGrandi's, $500,000 worth of stock and $1,000,000 worth of attitude.
    Did you have a couple on Monday night before typing this one???? Coz to me they are the same. Or
    have I missed something?(wouldnt be the first time) stu [/B][/QUOTE]

    'of' instead of 'or'.

    powinc

  15. Stu

    Stu Guest

    > 'of' instead of 'or'.
    hmmmmmm I even copy and pasted one below the other and I still didnt see it lol Poof reading is not
    a job for me is seems. Wish I could say I had been drinking but I hadn't, maybe it was before my
    morning coffee. stu

  16. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    um, freudian slip detected above.:D
    or just a simple spelling error, have another cuppa Stu....
    ;)

  17. Stu

    Stu Guest

    really wish that I could say I meant that. but I prove my own point lol stu

  18. powinc

    powinc New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Is Vern Smith's shop still open in Maidstone? I drove past recently and it's hard to tell whether it's open or not.

    If it is, he must be getting on a bit, because he was old back in the late 70's, when I used my BMX stuff off him.

    powinc