Melbourne cycling

LeDomestique

Dec 7, 2006
Hi there. I currently live in Perth, but I'm moving to Melbourne early next year. I quite enjoy the cycling here in Perth and was wondering if cycling in Melbourne is big / very popular as it is here.

Also, are there any hills close to Melb that can be used to train? Anyone know a list of rides around Melb?

thanks

cheers

it's massive here. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of riders on riding along the beach-side roads (eastern bayside) on Sat and Sun mornings, and there are heaps of other groups around the other regular routes.

It depends what you call 'hills'. There are plenty of short, steep hills in the outer 'burbs, but for real hills, you've gotta go at least 25 to 40km out of the city

531Aussie said:
it's massive here. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of riders on riding along the beach-side roads (eastern bayside) on Sat and Sun mornings, and there are heaps of other groups around the other regular routes.

It depends what you call 'hills'. There are plenty of short, steep hills in the outer 'burbs, but for real hills, you've gotta go at least 25 to 40km out of the city
Thanks, so looks like I'm not going to be short of a ride in Melb then.

"Hills" I mean...well...hills, you know.. a 3+ Km, 6+% gradient road up ...and then down. repeat.

cheers

For hills try the Dandenongs to get a feel for things (7-9kms) before going out to Healsville for 7-15 kms climbs and Warburton for the 18km Donna Buang and long runs to Maryborough and Lake Mountain (1482m) via the Reefton Spur or Black Spur. Ah....yes there are hills. Enjoy :D

Wow, are you in for a pleasant surprise.

Perth pales in comparison to Perth rider numbers wise

Come and try Beach Rd on a Saturday or Sunday morning where bikes outnumber cars literally 3 to 1!

There's hills, but a bit further out
1 in 20, Kinglake to name a couple

enjoy