Melbourne MTB tracks

luke1972

Apr 21, 2003
Hi I am a roadie/trackie. My club has a 250m velodrome surrounded by parkland. I was wondering if there is any purpose built MTB circuits in Melbourne? Would be good to have one at the park where we are situated as at the moment there is a soccer field which is rarely used next to our velodrome/clubrooms.

We are thinking of running a MTB race around the park and finishing in the velodrome Roubaix style.

Apologies if this sounds silly as I do not have a clue about MTB other than you also race with two wheels.

Originally posted by luke1972
Hi I am a roadie/trackie. My club has a 250m velodrome surrounded by parkland. I was wondering if there is any purpose built MTB circuits in Melbourne? Would be good to have one at the park where we are situated as at the moment there is a soccer field which is rarely used next to our velodrome/clubrooms.

We are thinking of running a MTB race around the park and finishing in the velodrome Roubaix style.

Apologies if this sounds silly as I do not have a clue about MTB other than you also race with two wheels.

Are you talking about the track near Glenferrie Rd?

There are some purpose built tracks near Melbourne but they are generally for 4X-style racing (basically a big BMX track). Theres one at Bacchus Marsh near the racecourse that i think is accessible to the public?

There are also criterium races here and there but not sure about locations... anyone else know?

Who are you targeting as potential competitors? If its roadies then fine but if its mtb'ers as well you will want more than just (flat) parkland... interesting idea though.

Originally posted by troyq
Are you talking about the track near Glenferrie Rd?

There are some purpose built tracks near Melbourne but they are generally for 4X-style racing (basically a big BMX track). Theres one at Bacchus Marsh near the racecourse that i think is accessible to the public?

There are also criterium races here and there but not sure about locations... anyone else know?

Who are you targeting as potential competitors? If its roadies then fine but if its mtb'ers as well you will want more than just (flat) parkland... interesting idea though.

Hi,

No it is in Richards Reserve, Charles Street Coburg. The area comprises a 250 velodrome with a steep grass supporting bank on the southern side which could be utilised (would have about a 12% incline). There would be about a 1.5km circuit around the parkland which contains steep banking approximately 10m high. So conceivably you could race around the park with a few short technical climbs thrown in and finish in the velodrome, via the tunnel.