Melbourne rides, 10am each Sunday

rek

Aug 31, 2002
A few friends and I have been going on regular Sunday rides around Melbourne for a few years now, and decided to move the thread to a place where cycling is very much on topic :D

The rides go for a couple of hours, sometimes road riding, sometimes MTBing, but always a relaxed atmosphere where everyone's welcome. None of us are pro racer types, we just ride for fitness and fun. Think of it as the peloton equivalent of "Cheers", where everybody knows your name. :)

Depending on whether we go roadie-ing or MTB-ing theres a couple of usual routes (Melways ref in braces) but we're always thinking of new ones to try out.

Road
Albert Park -- endless loops counter-clockwise on the Grand Prix circuit (57 J6 is the start/finish line)
Beach Rd -- meeting from Station Pier (57 A3) or Bay St, Brighton (67 C8) depending on where we live, out through to Mordialloc and Frankston

MTB
Lysterfield -- enough said ;) Singletrack map available from Lysterfield trail group
Yarra Trails -- singletrack riding, starting from Eaglemont Tennis Club (Melways 31 K10) out to Westerfolds Park and beyond. Incomplete and out of date home made map here

I know there's a couple of routes there I've missed. What's on for this Sunday?

rek said:
Road
Albert Park -- endless loops counter-clockwise on the Grand Prix circuit (57 J6 is the start/finish line)
Beach Rd -- meeting from Station Pier (57 A3) or Bay St, Brighton (67 C8) depending on where we live, out through to Mordialloc and Frankston

MTB
Lysterfield -- enough said ;) Singletrack map available from Lysterfield trail group
Yarra Trails -- singletrack riding, starting from Eaglemont Tennis Club (Melways 31 K10) out to Westerfolds Park and beyond. Incomplete and out of date home made map here

I know there's a couple of routes there I've missed. What's on for this Sunday?
Rek you make it sound like you have bike options this week at last!
I put in a vote for the yarra trail, as much as I like Lysterfield ( a lot ) those hills are winning the battle at the moment and I need a rest from them.
Cheers

cycleski said:
Rek you make it sound like you have bike options this week at last!
I put in a vote for the yarra trail, as much as I like Lysterfield ( a lot ) those hills are winning the battle at the moment and I need a rest from them.
Yep Gavin, finally got the MTB back today and it's a blast. As I'll end up parting out my road bike rather than selling it wholesale it means I'm not shy of riding it anymore. Though it's tempting to just not bother with the road until the new bike comes :D

Yarra Trail sounds good to me too. Went to Lysterfield today with Warwick and Justin, good ride, Justin had a bit of a high speed coming off though, but luckily the end result was only some cuts and scratches.

Well I'd love to come on the Yarra trails ride on Sunday, but like I was dreading work discovered I had a weekend off, so I'm doing fuggin support this weekend. I don't mind really though, the cash is good :).

I really wanted to go riding though and stretch out my poor stressed body.

rek said:
Yarra Trail sounds good to me too. Went to Lysterfield today with Warwick and Justin, good ride, Justin had a bit of a high speed coming off though, but luckily the end result was only some cuts and scratches.

I was built Volvo tough, I tell ya :D I'm doing well now though.

Our old AF thread is still available. 15,181 hits and 1,257 posts, I'll miss it, a record holder on AF in its own right.

Started back on the 4th of March 2004.

In regards to paths, I'm not too fussed, although in the future it would be good to try new ones.

PS: Lagom means "just right" in Swedish. Not too fast, not too slow, not too hard, not too easy, not too much, not too little, etc ;)

Lagom said:
I was built Volvo tough, I tell ya :D I'm doing well now though.

Our old AF thread is still available. 15,181 hits and 1,257 posts, I'll miss it, a record holder on AF in its own right.

Started back on the 4th of March 2004.

In regards to paths, I'm not too fussed, although in the future it would be good to try new ones.

PS: Lagom means "just right" in Swedish. Not too fast, not too slow, not too hard, not too easy, not too much, not too little, etc ;)
Good to hear your back in the saddle Justin, the steeps at Lysterfield can do some damage ( my experiance :eek: ) . As for new tracks, the Yarra ones are yet to be revealed from what Ive seen, not talking about the paved or gravel.
As for AF thread, Warwick posted the start in mid Jan 04 and a system crash early March wiped it out, take your point though, see you all sunday.
Cheers

Where?..........
Yarra trail? I'll probably go and muck around in the muck up the hills. My bike is too bouncy to ride to Ivanhoe and back on the road.

Volvo's are designed to crumple in a safe sort of way. They will not get out of a big hit unscathed... They will deform. Just as you did Justin.

If you keep on riding Lysterfield there'll be no mud left for the rest of us! Do you still have the wagon from work?

Went for a ride around the Yarra Trail singletrack today; it's surprisingly dry, and muddy, all at the same time. Some trails are completely different now, a much better test of technical skills than what it used to be. Also happened to join up with two groups of MTBer's on the way out and back again.. we're looking at organising some sort of regular weekly ride one weeknight.

The MTB has been back for less than 36 hours, and it's already seen duty for 6 of them :cool:

Yeah, got the X5. What's the thinking there Peter?
P.S. What's the Yarra trail singletrack? Where is it from and to etc etc?

Warwick2x said:
Yeah, got the X5. What's the thinking there Peter?
P.S. What's the Yarra trail singletrack? Where is it from and to etc etc?
Gavin is keen on Yarra Trail (or at least not Lysterfield ;) ) and they're about all I can handle right now, given that tomorrow will be my third long ride in as many days.

The Yarra Trail singletrack goes along the Yarra from about Burke Rd to Westerfolds Park. Starts at the Eaglemont tennis club as usual. We've done it a couple of times before, aages ago. The tracks have since changed twice due to storms and such, and are a lot more technical and fun than what they were before. No hills, but twisty. I'd give it about a 0.5-0.9 on the "Lysterfield-Blair Witch Scale" depending on the track section. (where 1.0 LBWS = that really cool twisty part of Lysterfield we do about 73 times each time we're there)

Yarra single track sounds fine to me Rek, exercise without the altitude, easier on the gut :eek: . See you there, cmon Warwick you can still get muddy if you wish at Yarra.
Has this thread been moved from the index? had to go thru the PM to find it, weird.
cheers all

ps. ahh connections to the world section, wtf , that should limit the new members :confused: Florida where are you!! :D

Gavin. I need harder on the gut, not easier!
I love the thrills of Lysterfield. Tight turns, the jumps, the almost out-of-control bits, and there's a hospital on the way home!
One day, I will need it. That kinda gives me the horn too.

Ripper day for it guys. Perfect. I managed a couple of Lysterfield laps , plus the games track... which is damn HARD! How'd you go?
I was starting to feel uncomfortable riding the MTB, like it's time to go flat out on the roadie now. We gotta go round the bay next month!!!!

Warwick2x said:
I was starting to feel uncomfortable riding the MTB, like it's time to go flat out on the roadie now. We gotta go round the bay next month!!!!
My thoughts too :D next weeks session on the road, rek should haver his carbon job by then as long as that Fox man is not involved :rolleyes:. Time to do the kms, looking forward to it.

Today's ride was very relaxed on the Yarra Trail. I was mentally not really quite up to concentrating on singletrack for multiple hours on end, nor were my legs all that interested in it either after two days hard slog. Still, a nice 2 1/2 hours and 55-odd km of low intensity fat burning so the day was not at all wasted.

And yes, very keen for a road ride. All the bits are at the shop already so not even an army of Fox men can stop this one. The Cannondale man was very good and shipped the frame to us weeks ago.

I sure hope the wind is like that next Sunday, tempted for another Frankston venture ;)

Does anyone want to go for a ride on a day other than Sunday this week? I'm heading westward on Sunday.