Melbourne Roadie Gear Ratios?

Stanners77

Aug 3, 2004
I just wanted to do a bit of a poll to see what gear combos people are riding these days. I guess I'm most interested in comments from other Melbourne roadies but those in other states - feel free to post your two cents!

Like most, I do plenty of Beach Rd with some climbing trips to Olinda/Montrose/Sassafras, etc. I ride a 10spd Ultegra bike with a 39/53 on the front and an 11/23 on the back (certainly fine for anything on Beach Rd).

My real question is: do many people opt for either a compact crankset or say a 12-25 cassette for their climbing? Most of my mates reckon unless you're doing Buffalo, Buller or Donna Buang, you shouldn't need anything easier than an 11/23 - just get fitter and stronger and work harder!!!

Let the comments roll...

I did Donna Buang just this Sunday, and there was one short section where I was in my triple's granny gear and 26 in the back.

My favorite TT climb is Montrose-Kalorama, most of the way I'm in 42x23, so 39x21 would be the same.

As I understand it, the compact cranks are to allow a wider range of gears while still having a corn cob cassette.

Stanners77 said:
I just wanted to do a bit of a poll to see what gear combos people are riding these days. I guess I'm most interested in comments from other Melbourne roadies but those in other states - feel free to post your two cents!

Like most, I do plenty of Beach Rd with some climbing trips to Olinda/Montrose/Sassafras, etc. I ride a 10spd Ultegra bike with a 39/53 on the front and an 11/23 on the back (certainly fine for anything on Beach Rd).

My real question is: do many people opt for either a compact crankset or say a 12-25 cassette for their climbing? Most of my mates reckon unless you're doing Buffalo, Buller or Donna Buang, you shouldn't need anything easier than an 11/23 - just get fitter and stronger and work harder!!!

Let the comments roll...
Great question !!! i have always wondered what most use. I just put a 12-27 ultegra cassette on with the intention of doing the baw Baw race on 1st April after some great advice from "those" in the know. Well I tested it out on the infamous terry ave in the dandenongs and it did save my knees.( apparently this is similiar to the last bit of baw baw )

Must admit that most other climbs around melbourne (Kinglake, Donna Buang and dandenongs) i havent actually used those last three cogs. So i think your mates are right

Everyone I ride with use the 11/23 but then again they never get off beach rd hehehhe

federal said:
Great question !!! i have always wondered what most use. I just put a 12-27 ultegra cassette on with the intention of doing the baw Baw race on 1st April after some great advice from "those" in the know. Well I tested it out on the infamous terry ave in the dandenongs and it did save my knees.( apparently this is similiar to the last bit of baw baw )

Must admit that most other climbs around melbourne (Kinglake, Donna Buang and dandenongs) i havent actually used those last three cogs. So i think your mates are right

Everyone I ride with use the 11/23 but then again they never get off beach rd hehehhe
What is the Baw Baw race you refer to?

for the track, 48x16 for the warm up and cooldown, 48x14 for scratch and points races and 49x14 for the motorpace.

and for the road, 53x39 on the front and 11x21 for flat racing and 11x23 for the training wheels. i do use an 12x25 for hill work ie devils elbow etc but then i am more of a sprinter than a climber.

as for baw baw, a friend of mine did it and said they kept looking at their computor coz when it got to 3kph she knew it would be quicker to walk :) :)

I have 9 speed, 11/21, 42/53

Melbourne's obviously pretty flat, but there is the odd occasion that I'd like a 23 :)

I live in the Dandenongs and ride 90% of the time up here. 39/53 12-25 suits me fine.

flipper said:
I live in the Dandenongs and ride 90% of the time up here. 39/53 12-25 suits me fine.
All interesting replies so far...

I don't get out the the Dandenongs as often as I like (I'm in St Kilda) but this is going to change in the coming weeks... Not being in super shape (about 3 or 4 kgs over my 'fit' weight) I'll probably struggle a bit with the 39/23 combo but I guess it will do me good to suffer a bit and build up some leg strength!

Also, I am (finally) going to extract some digits and do the Audax Alpine Classic next January ( I entered and did SOME training the year of the bushfires - probably a lucky break for me in the end :) ). Any gearing suggestions from those who've done the event???

Stanners77 said:
All interesting replies so far...

I don't get out the the Dandenongs as often as I like (I'm in St Kilda) but this is going to change in the coming weeks... Not being in super shape (about 3 or 4 kgs over my 'fit' weight) I'll probably struggle a bit with the 39/23 combo but I guess it will do me good to suffer a bit and build up some leg strength!

Also, I am (finally) going to extract some digits and do the Audax Alpine Classic next January ( I entered and did SOME training the year of the bushfires - probably a lucky break for me in the end :) ). Any gearing suggestions from those who've done the event???
i run a 36/50 compact with a 12-25 on the rear, yeah i am a wuss

but try my mtb... 22/32/44 on the front and 11-34 on the rear!

Not from Melbourne but gearing is such an objective question.
Factors include:-
How long your rides are
Hills....steep,long, into the wind
..... at the end
.....the begining
Recovery rides
Weight & fitness
Your age

Just to mention a few,& for the record 50/39/30...12/25... and loving it. Not in lower gears very often but they are appreciated when my 50 y.o. body begins to waver.
Anyone out there been up Bumble Hill near Wyong NSW or know the average gradiant? My old hybrid & I have been to the top (second try)with 48/38/28...11/32 & that is after a 33k ride to the bottom @ 30kph.
I do not think my new bike would make it even with 30..25 gearing mmmm
maybe I will give it a go but do not like my chances

federal said:

Just wondering, where is Terry Ave? street-directory.com.au couldn't find it..

peterlip said:
Just wondering, where is Terry Ave? street-directory.com.au couldn't find it..
Found it, Terrys Ave. Street-directory.com.au is not very forgiving.
I'm in Rowville, and despite being close, have never really tried the Dandenongs. I must get there.... One day....

robalert said:
i run a 36/50 compact with a 12-25 on the rear, yeah i am a wuss

but try my mtb... 22/32/44 on the front and 11-34 on the rear!
Wuss...do'nt think so the wuss' are those that site on their shinny a--es looking at TV with a beer in their hand every day while your out clocking up the Ks

peterlip said:
I'm in Rowville, and despite being close, have never really tried the Dandenongs. I must get there.... One day....
BTW, I've got a 53/42/30 with 12-25.

peterlip said:
Hi Peterlip

Let me know how you go getting up terrys. The way most guys go is to start at the bottom from Belgrave ....that first little section nearly ripped my legs clean off!!!. It flattens out then goes down but dont get to cocky cos it goes up real steep from there

i cant find too many that will ride with me up that one anyhow good luck!!!

federal said:
Hi Peterlip

Let me know how you go getting up terrys. The way most guys go is to start at the bottom from Belgrave ....that first little section nearly ripped my legs clean off!!!. It flattens out then goes down but dont get to cocky cos it goes up real steep from there

i cant find too many that will ride with me up that one anyhow good luck!!!
OMG. On my way home tonight, I took a "small" detour to Belgrave to have a look at Terrys Ave (by car).
That is a heart stopper!!!! Looks like it may take a few attempts to make this one....
Bit worried about the return trip (assuming I can make it). I may need to get a fresh set of brake pads first...