Melbourne-Themed-Random-Cycling-Advocacy Thread

Peter Signorini wrote:

> Yes, just got mine. It was a surprise to see about 5 couples from MBTC
> pictured in various sections, and the club referred to as performing as good
> as dating agencies. Now that's a new membership line. ;-)

What, you haven't thought of that yet?

Years ago, I was intreiged (sp?) with the continual question of "what
sort of people go on these rides" and used the same old pitch, with not
many being interested.

The moment I changed the spiel to start with "Some young women...." when
blokes rang and "Some young blokes....." when women rang up, the numbers
coming on the ride doubled overnight. The rest of the spiel also
included t'other and older couples, some older kids, blah, blah, blah....

Worst point (?) of this was some years later getting into the lift one
morning on way to work to have someone introduced me to "the boss" who
replied "Yes, I know Terry. I met my wife on one of the bicycle trips he
organised" I wasn't sure if the next words were "worst luck" or not {;-).

"HUMBUG" wrote:

> I only did the metric century that day but it was HOT and hilly with a
> howling northerly. Quite a few people who did the imperial century were
> NOT impressed. It was my first century of any description and it was
> NOT a pleasant experience....:) From memory it was around the Toolangi
> area - I _may_ have the map around here SOMEwhere it's just a question
> of exactly WHICH where.

This wouldn't be one of the early Knox Hard Hundreds would it?

> I'll have to try and organise a work free Thursday night and get the
> Old Grey Bike to haul me down to an MBTC meeting. At least I'll get to
> meet TimC...

Yes do! Would be good to see you again. Come to think of it, there's a few
new commitee positions going in a few weeks ;-)

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini said:
"PiledHigher" wrote:

> Was a bit dissappointed with the BV invented cycling in the 70's
> approach of the magazine, people did ride there bikes before that
> surprisingly and I would be surprised if MBTC is the oldest cycling
> club in Melbourne (but the older ones may be r*cing ones).

MBTC was founded in 1973, and as far as I'm aware it is the oldest of
Melbourne's cycle-touring clubs. There are, no doubt racing, clubs older
than this.

Cheers
Peter

> PiledHigher
>

> --
> PiledHigher

MBTC on of the oldest clubs - maybe in the average age of its members :)

There was a Melbourne Bicycle Club around in the late 1800s or early part of last century I think. Would have to dig up my copy of The Bicycle and the Bush, cause I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in there. They used to meet above a bike shop in Clifton Hill.

How are the new shoes, Tim?

Peter Signorini <[email protected]> wrote:
> Come to think of it, there's a few
> new commitee positions going in a few weeks ;-)

Always guaranteed to ensure a huge turnout.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

HUMBUG said:
On 02/06/05 at 20:17:05 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:

<snip>

Swings backhander low.

> whorrrrr! Do tell, grandpa!! (ducks backhander)

See, he ducked into it. Age and cunning trumps youth and talent
again...:)

Dang! your eprobably one of them annoying buggers who flies past me on the Alpine or the other odd audax ride i goes on :rolleyes:

one day, one day i too will do that to some young wipper snapper...

On 2005-06-03, slaw (aka Bruce)
> How are the new shoes, Tim?

That was you, was it?

I didn't notice the peddles going for auction as well. I was half
falling alseep at the meeting (much as I am now). I'll go shopping
for peddles on Sunday, then I get to try them out :)

"If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise,
find someone who is standing closer to Douglas Hofstadter than you are; then
ask him or her what recursion is." -- Andrew "Zarf" Plotkin

On 03/06/05 at 00:24:49 Peter Signorini somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> This wouldn't be one of the early Knox Hard Hundreds would it?

It _might_ have been - but I'm pretty sure it was one of the Bike Week
events that were all the rage at the time.

> > I'll have to try and organise a work free Thursday night and get the
> > Old Grey Bike to haul me down to an MBTC meeting. At least I'll get
> > to meet TimC...

> Yes do! Would be good to see you again. Come to think of it, there's

Thurs. night's a bit of a struggle but I'll make the effort when this
current contract finishes and I can get a week or so off.

> a few new commitee positions going in a few weeks ;-)

Noooooo. Seriously I can't make the time commitment. Hell I'm not even
a financial member ATM and haven't been for QUITE some time. I'll have
to fix that I reckon...:)

--
Humbug

On 03/06/05 at 11:09:49 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> Dang! your eprobably one of them annoying buggers who flies past me on
> the Alpine or the other odd audax ride i goes on :rolleyes:

Hell no. Not the Alpine Classic - FAR, FAR too hard for my mismatched
legs...:) I did do a 200 that went from McLeod and back via Whittlesea
and Kinglake 'n stuff that allegedly had more climbing than the AC.
Hang on and I'll dig out the brevet.... Yep McLeod to McLeod via Masons
Falls, Kinglake, and Yarra Glen. Eleven and a half hours. Other 200's
that I did around that time were around two and a bit hours
quicker...:)

--
Humbug