Melbourne to Warrnambool Classic

No: too far to go.

It's the Werribee to Warrnambool this year -- they couldn't get enough police for road closures, and 30 km have come off the distance.

And so it joins the Compiengne-Roubaix and a few others in the list of one-day races with misleading names.

Grater said:
Preview and Start list here:

Daily Peloton - Pro Cycling News

Should be a good race. Anyone attending the finish in Warrnambool?

yep, I'll be there, team manager for one of the teams (no-one important)...My tip?...Charles Howlett from ballarat Cycle city...went close last year & team is motivated

Drongo said:
No: too far to go.

It's the Werribee to Warrnambool this year -- they couldn't get enough police for road closures, and 30 km have come off the distance.

And so it joins the Compiengne-Roubaix and a few others in the list of one-day races with misleading names.

Police & road closures isn't the issue...they basically just needed the race off the main hwys a bit more....with the new route it will actually involve more police as the race winds it's way thru the back blocks of Camperdown...a few hills out there for a change...should be a 'rip snorter'

Pell
Lapthorne
Rudolph

Or my favourite Ben King.

Them's me tips.

steve said:
Joel Pearson is also a good chance if he's there at the end :)

Yep...I see Dempster reckons there are probably only 15 or so guys that can win it....guess we wait & see. should be interesting if the wind gets up...head wind most of the way will see the strong blokes & teams shatter the field pretty quick...anyones race (as usual)

Hitchy said:
yep, I'll be there, team manager for one of the teams (no-one important)...My tip?...Charles Howlett from ballarat Cycle city...went close last year & team is motivated

I may be there but if I am, it will be for the start only. I'm the one that wrote that article. Depends on if I'm up at the time.

PM me the team and if I'm there in the morning I'll introduce myself to you.

I sense Ballarat Cycle City?

Lapthorne is my tip. Pell, Rudolph, King and Pollack will go close. Rudolph can't be underestimated. It was between him and Lapthorne and I went with Lapthorne.

But I agree with Dempster. There's about 15 riders who can win it and everone people have mentioned here are amongst them.

Hitchy said:
Police & road closures isn't the issue...they basically just needed the race off the main hwys a bit more....with the new route it will actually involve more police as the race winds it's way thru the back blocks of Camperdown...a few hills out there for a change...should be a 'rip snorter'

Yep course was a ball tearer. In particular the racing coming into Camperdown, up over the two hills and the subsequent 30kms or so was outstanding. Excellent road selection by the race director too.

Cops job was far more complex than previous years and they did it very very well.

They need to increase it back to 300km though and do better coverage. If it wasn't for a good guy, I wouldn't have known what would have happened. I owe him for the updates. Plus the full results on the official site were only posted there monday or today and the release got emailed today.

Not even CN have the full results yet. Only the DP do but linked it up to the official site.

John Craven has come out and said that they want to ensure the survival of the M2W. They gotto do a better job than what they did with the results and coverage of the event. SBS or One need to come on board and show the race live next year.

Grater said:
They need to increase it back to 300km though and do better coverage. If it wasn't for a good guy, I wouldn't have known what would have happened. I owe him for the updates. Plus the full results on the official site were only posted there monday or today and the release got emailed today.

Not even CN have the full results yet. Only the DP do but linked it up to the official site.

John Craven has come out and said that they want to ensure the survival of the M2W. They gotto do a better job than what they did with the results and coverage of the event. SBS or One need to come on board and show the race live next year.

It would be good if it could get some local TV coverage, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. One HD covered the Worlds live, but crossed to the F1 GP in the middle of it for 2 hours!. I think the reality is that the only way it will attract more sponsors, higher profile riders & thus TV coverage, is a change of date.

The problem at the moment is that few, if any, high profile teams & riders are around at the end of October. Perhaps a date closer to the Nat’s in Jan, or even a week before the TDU at the end of Jan, might convince a few more ‘names’ to enter. Wouldn’t it be fantastic to see the likes of O’Grady, McEwen, Evans & Rogers etc etc on the start line!....I’d probably come out of retirement myself to race that!