Melbourne Training Rides

Jess

Guest
1. Hippy - thanks for the list http://www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/web/Cycling/TrainingRides.htm

I know a few you can add (Ive just picked these up still new at this): Monday: *Womens Ride Kew
Boulevard 6.30pm meets at the intersection of Boathouse Dr and Kew Boulevard (medium)

Tuesday/Thursday: (these are being setup) *Womens Ride Kew Boulevard 6.30am (same meeting spot as
Monday PM) medium-fast + sprints

Saturday: *Bay Riders - leaves cogs at 7am Medium - Fast Pace *Hoyt St - Leaves Hoyt St Brighton
(not sure which end) or time goes Medium to fast down to Frankston and back (some of the other group
went to sorrento when I tacked on) *Mascot Cycles - leaves Mascot Cycles Bridge Rd Richmond 7am,
goes down via South/Port Melbourne then to Black rock at 25km/h avg then goes up to 35-40km/h from
Black Rock to Mordy. Goes back to Mascot at fast pace. *Viccycle Womens Ride - leaves cogs at 8am
(meet for coffee @ 7.30) Easy - Fast (depends on who you pair with)

2. I want to know of any other bunch rides that especially tackle the hills as I am looking for
people to train with who are doing the Alpine Classic.

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 1. Hippy - thanks for the list http://www.openwindows.com.au/hippy/web/Cycling/TrainingRides.htm
>
> I know a few you can add (Ive just picked these up still new at this):

<snip rides> I'll try and get these added to the list. I wasn't actually maintaining that site. It
was just a play around thing while I played with some html editors. Shouldn't be too hard ;-)

> 2. I want to know of any other bunch rides that especially tackle the
hills
> as I am looking for people to train with who are doing the Alpine
Classic.

We do one on Wednesday nights It leaves from Croydon Cycleworks in (funnily enough) Croydon.
<hippy digs around his inbox...> At the moment we are just going up the 1/20 (Mountain Hwy) but
this will be extended to include "The Wall". I've done it before but don't know any of the actual
road names :)

AH HA! ROAD RIDE where: Meet at Croydon cycleworks 182 Mount Dandenong rd Croydon parking is
available at shop when: every wed night leaves at 6.15pm sharp! Don't be late! duration: varies
around 2-2.5 hours aprox 50-60km via Sassafras and Olinda returning to Croydon don't forget:
flashing lights, spares and pump, water,food

MTB RIDE where:Meet at Croydon cycleworks 182 Mount Dandenong rd Croydon parking is available at
shop when: every thursday night leaves at 6.15pm sharp! Don't be late! duration: varies around 2-2.5
hours On a different course each week various tracks trails and a little on road. Pick up tips from
Simon and the occasional " guest expert" rider who attends. don't forget: flashing lights, spares
and pump, water, food

hth hippy

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I might come out on Wednesday night - I have to drive from the inner suburbs - but should be
> there on time

Small bunch. 3-10 riders. All skills. Basically we roll to the bottom of the 1/20 and then it's 'set
your own pace' up to the top where the fast people wait. Then bump along the top of the mountain and
descend to Monbulk(?) I think and back to the shop. Barton says he'll start including some more
hills in coming weeks. I don't climb by choice so it's good for me to do these rides.

hippy

Thanks Hippy. Im not fast, but Im not slow either. My hubbie said that you guys travel fast... If I
get out there im the chicky on the red giant OCR3

Will be getting into work extra early tomorrow so I can make it.

Thanks for a great ride last night :D Thanks to M for giving me some pointers on descending - it
really worked! The descent made the climb all worth it...

As for you onegeargimp - my MTB isnt in very good shape ;) could you imagine me riding the yarra
trails on my roadie? (besides that theres nowhere near enough K's or climbing!)

Jess

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for a great ride last night :D Thanks to M for giving me some pointers on descending -
> it really
worked!

Barton? Maybe I need to speak to him too! :)

> The descent made the climb all worth it...

I did a PB that last night AFAIK.. I've not checked older HRM files but it's this years best
ascent I think.

I hope we didn't do too much damage to your legs! :) Mine are pretty tired at the moment.. race
tonight will be interesting (read: I will lose by a great margin). :)

> As for you onegeargimp - my MTB isnt in very good shape ;) could you
imagine
> me riding the yarra trails on my roadie? (besides that theres nowhere
near
> enough K's or climbing!)

Who is this onegeargimp? Does he/she ride singlespeed?

hippy

Oh was it Barton? Sweet I thought you said Martin, but you were climbing when you said it ;)

Not too much damage to the legs - was a bit sore this morning, but still energetic enough to front
up for spinning and a gym (weights) session tonight. Mind you I think I will smack out anyone who
wants a hills class!

Yeah onegeargimp is known as another name on a snow-skiing discussion board. Hes a single speed man
(crazy people)

> "Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks for a great ride last night :D Thanks to M for giving me some pointers on descending - it
> > really
> worked!
>
> Barton? Maybe I need to speak to him too! :)
>
> > The descent made the climb all worth it...
>
> I did a PB that last night AFAIK.. I've not checked older HRM files but it's this years best
> ascent I think.
>
> I hope we didn't do too much damage to your legs! :) Mine are pretty tired at the moment.. race
> tonight will be interesting (read: I will lose by a great margin). :)
>
> > As for you onegeargimp - my MTB isnt in very good shape ;) could you
> imagine
> > me riding the yarra trails on my roadie? (besides that theres nowhere
> near
> > enough K's or climbing!)
>
> Who is this onegeargimp? Does he/she ride singlespeed?
>
> hippy

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Oh was it Barton? Sweet I thought you said Martin, but you were climbing when you said
it ;)

Yeah, so it would've sounded like "phaoor gasp ba <cough> rt how far now <splutter> on wheez... ;-)

> Not too much damage to the legs - was a bit sore this morning, but
still
> energetic enough to front up for spinning and a gym (weights) session tonight. Mind you I think I
> will smack out anyone who wants a hills
class!

hehe.. I'm still trying to get fired up to race tonight. It's hard when you have to pay even when
you _know_ you're going to get flogged and could've inflicted the same pain on yourself... hence
my mantra:

"support the club..." "support the club..." "support the club..."

> Yeah onegeargimp is known as another name on a snow-skiing discussion
board.
> Hes a single speed man (crazy people)

Sweet, me too. Where does he ride? Is he doing the Kona 24hr? Did he do the SSWC's?

hippy

> Sweet, me too. Where does he ride? Is he doing the Kona 24hr? Did he do the SSWC's?

Yarra trails after about 3pm until about 6 or 7 (he works early) Rides anywhere...and yeah I think
hes doing the Kona 24 hour...he also did the gravity 24 hour, but on a normal bike (I think)

"Jess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Yarra trails after about 3pm until about 6 or 7 (he works early)

Bliss! :)

> Rides anywhere...and yeah I think hes doing the Kona 24 hour...he also
did
> the gravity 24 hour, but on a normal bike (I think)

I'm wondering if sensible preparation for the 24hr would be to skip Wed training and Thur racing
next week?

I don't know how many laps I'll do but I DO know that mtb'ing really takes it out of me.. hmm to
taper or not to taper, that is the question?

hippy

Hippy bro....I am not doing the 24 hour as I cant get time off work...

I didnt do the SSWC's but am spewing.....the 12 hour Gravity race was on and I went to that.

Where and what do you ride man?

onegeargimp

"onegeargimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hippy bro....I am not doing the 24 hour as I cant get time off work...

Bummer.. i've just fixed up some of my vistlights for it..

> I didnt do the SSWC's but am spewing.....the 12 hour Gravity race was on and I went to that.

What was that like? SSWC was awesome fun!

> Where and what do you ride man?

I'm mostly on the road but offroad I ride an Avanti hardtail (gearie) or a GT Talera (hack-job SS)
and it's usually Eastern Melbourne and stuff like the Kona and SSWC. I don't race mtb.

Yourself?

hippy

I ride everywhere...

Regular haunts are the Yarra Trails for ball tearing singletrack, Toolangi, Narbathong, St Andrews, Andrew Hill, Kinglake, Warrendyte/Wonga Park....

Do you ever ride Yarra Trails? I am there most nights of the week.....

"onegeargimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride everywhere...
>
> Regular haunts are the Yarra Trails for ball tearing singletrack, Toolangi, Narbathong, St
> Andrews, Andrew Hill, Kinglake, Warrendyte/Wonga Park....

I've only ridden Warrendyte from those..

> Do you ever ride Yarra Trails? I am there most nights of the week.....

Was riding them lots earlier this year and then a guy I was riding with broke his collarbone and
then 3-4 days later I broke my collarbone, then I healed, then I went to Japan for a month. My
return to mountain biking started with me riding at Emerald in the mud - I landed on my bad shoulder
and quickly returned home after that. It seriously felt like I'd rebroken the collarbone.. not good.
Then I did the SSWC, a trail ride at the 24hr course and now I'm going to do the 24hr. My total mtb
riding in the second half of this year would add up to, ooh, about 10 hours! :-S

hippy I ride mtb's on the road lots but that doesn't count

Enjoy this weekend man, most of my riding buddies are there and I missed out cos I have to work...

"onegeargimp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Enjoy this weekend man, most of my riding buddies are there and I missed out cos I have to work...

Time for:
1) a sickie
2) a new job
3) bomb scare
4) all of the above for bonus points

hippy Think of me at 4am, when you are tucked, warm, in bed and I have to go out for another lap
with failing lights, failing legs, dehydration and a hangover ;-)