Memo to self

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Curly Sue, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    Self, schedule the next (self-)cleaning cycle of the oven
    for a day when the exterior doors can be opened.

    The fragrance of January's roast beef is haunting me and I
    have to stick around for 3.5 hr until the cycle is complete!

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Curly Sue)
    >
    >Self, schedule the next (self-)cleaning cycle of the oven
    >for a day when the exterior doors can be opened.
    >
    >The fragrance of January's roast beef is haunting me and I
    >have to stick around for 3.5 hr until the cycle is
    >complete!

    Why do you need to stick around... can't you do something
    else in the house that does not necessitate your hanging out
    in the kitchen? Doesn't the clean function shut down at the
    end of its cycle, and then release the door lock
    automatically when the oven is sufficiently cool? As for the
    odor I follow the instruction in the owner's manual to have
    the exhaust fan on during the clean cycle... I found keeping
    the fan at its lowest setting is sufficient for extracting
    the odor before it can disperse throughout the house.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 13 Mar 2004 22:01:41 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:
    >As for the odor I follow the instruction in the owner's
    >manual to have the exhaust fan on during the clean cycle...
    >I found keeping the fan at its lowest setting is sufficient
    >for extracting the odor before it can disperse throughout
    >the house.

    In many states (like Texas), the building codes don't
    require that residential kitchen fans vent to the outside.
    The hood fan is simply a grease particle catcher.

    Useless for odor removal.

    And Texas wonders why they have so many mold claims...

    -sw

  4. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On 13 Mar 2004 22:01:41 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

    >>(Curly Sue)
    >>
    >>Self, schedule the next (self-)cleaning cycle of the oven
    >>for a day when the exterior doors can be opened.
    >>
    >>The fragrance of January's roast beef is haunting me and I
    >>have to stick around for 3.5 hr until the cycle is
    >>complete!
    >
    >Why do you need to stick around... can't you do something
    >else in the house that does not necessitate your hanging
    >out in the kitchen? Doesn't the clean function shut down
    >at the end of its cycle, and then release the door lock
    >automatically when the oven is sufficiently cool? As for
    >the odor I follow the instruction in the owner's manual
    >to have the exhaust fan on during the clean cycle... I
    >found keeping the fan at its lowest setting is sufficient
    >for extracting the odor before it can disperse throughout
    >the house.

    Yes, I can move around the house. But the house is so small
    that it's hard to escape "roast beef." I just can't go
    shopping, etc. until the cycle is over.

    My exhaust fan doesn't work. I am working on getting it
    fixed/replaced. But it's an old, round Air King,
    discontinued in the 70s, and fixing it has stymied several
    local electricians. The problem is getting a replacement for
    the on/off mechanism. I called the company last week. The
    fellow who is familiar with the old products won't be in
    until next week. Replacing it will be an ordeal because of
    the size of the opening in the wall/exterior brick. Plus
    most new exhaust fans seem to be rectangular.

    Anyway, it only has one speed: "hurricane." :>

  5. "Curly Sue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Self, schedule the next (self-)cleaning cycle of the oven
    > for a day when the exterior doors can be opened.
    >
    > The fragrance of January's roast beef is haunting me and I
    > have to stick around for 3.5 hr until the cycle is
    > complete!

    Or, turn on the furnace fan and the bathroom
    ventilation fan.

    As for the nurds that say you can leave the stove, don't.
    That puppy probably gets so hot that water will sizzle on
    the surface below the burner deck.