Memory-Map: Using Aerial Photos to create 3D pics.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jweaver, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Jweaver

    Jweaver Guest

    I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
    impressed.

    I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
    which implies that I might not get what I expect.

    With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
    maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.

    I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
    would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
    that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
    1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
    as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more importantly,
    too expensive for the kind of use that I am planning.

    So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
    any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?

    Jon

    PS. The post in question is: (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    8&oe=UTF-
    8&frame=right&th=39ae64255b199f1c&seekm=401d4513%240%24-
    8567%244c56ba96%40master.news.zetnet.net#link1)

    Tags:

  2. Pwt

    Pwt Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    jweaver100 @hotmail.com says...
    > I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
    > impressed.
    >
    > I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    > mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
    > which implies that I might not get what I expect.
    >
    > With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
    > maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.
    >
    > I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
    > would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
    > that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
    > 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
    > as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more
    > importantly, too expensive for the kind of use that I am
    > planning.
    >
    > So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
    > any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > PS. The post in question is: (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&oe=UTF-
    > 8&frame=right&th=39ae64255b199f1c&seekm=401d4513%240%-
    > 248567%244c56ba96%40master.news.zetnet.net#link1)

    Yes - you can use the aerial maps and the 1:50000 together
    as I do and generate 3d views using the aerial map.

  3. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>, jweaver
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
    >impressed.
    >
    >I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    >mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
    >which implies that I might not get what I expect.
    >
    >With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and 1:25K
    >maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of these maps.
    >
    >I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
    >would be able to do the same.. But the post I read implies
    >that 3D will only work when used with the complimentary
    >1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its pretty useless,
    >as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small, and more
    >importantly, too expensive for the kind of use that I am
    >planning.
    >
    >So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to be
    >any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
    >
    >Jon

    (Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
    Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).

    The pictures never got taken :-(

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  4. Druidh

    Druidh Guest

    "Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, jweaver
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >I have downloaded a demo of Memory-Map 2004 and am really
    > >impressed.
    > >
    > >I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    > >mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a post
    > >which implies that I might not get what I expect.
    > >
    > >With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and
    > >1:25K maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of
    > >these maps.
    > >
    > >I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps, I
    > >would be able to do the same.. But the post I read
    > >implies that 3D will only work when used with the
    > >complimentary 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its
    > >pretty useless, as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small,
    > >and more importantly, too expensive for the kind of use
    > >that I am planning.
    > >
    > >So, can someone confirm if the Aerial maps are going to
    > >be any use if I don't have the 1:25k maps?
    > >
    > >Jon
    > >

    > (Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
    > Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).
    >
    > The pictures never got taken :-(

    But the Scottish photo shoot is now underway and should be
    complete by the end of the year. . . .

    druidh

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

  6. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]
    text.cableinet.net>, druidh
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> (Bear in mind that the aerial maps are not available for
    >> Scotland, if that's what you're interested in).
    >>
    >> The pictures never got taken :-(
    >
    >But the Scottish photo shoot is now underway and should be
    >complete by the end of the year. . . .

    A year doesn't seem very long.

    I already have lots of pictures of cloud...

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  7. Jweaver

    Jweaver Guest

    > > I was thinking of buying my local 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    > > mainly for the 3D capability, but I have just seen a
    > > post which implies that I might not get what I expect.
    > >
    > > With the demo, you get a sample of Aerial, 1:50k and
    > > 1:25K maps.. You can then create a 3D view of any of
    > > these maps.
    > >
    > > I was assuming that if I had the 1:50k and Aerial maps,
    > > I would be able to do the same.. But the post I read
    > > implies that 3D will only work when used with the
    > > complimentary 1:25K maps.. If this is the case, then its
    > > pretty useless, as the 1:25K coverage is pretty small,
    > > and more importantly, too expensive for the kind of use
    > > that I am planning.
    >

    > Yes - you can use the aerial maps and the 1:50000 together
    > as I do and generate 3d views using the aerial map.

    Many thanks for the info.. I have just had a reply from Memory-
    Maps confirming the same thing.. However, they have also
    added that "They are enhancing our 3D View with a free
    downloadable upgrade for our existing customer at the end of
    the month"

    This is very interesting, as I am specifically interested in
    the 3D side to this and ANY enhancement to the rather
    limited functionality right now would be appreicated.

    I wonder if they are going to impliment something similar to
    the 'virtual environment' that you get on Anquet Maps?

  8. Jweaver

    Jweaver Guest

    > This is very interesting, as I am specifically interested
    > in the 3D side to this and ANY enhancement to the rather
    > limited functionality right now would be appreicated.
    >
    > I wonder if they are going to impliment something similar
    > to the 'virtual environment' that you get on Anquet Maps?

    Incase anyone is intersted, I got a reply from "Memory-Maps"
    about their forthcoming 'upgrade'.. Looks like they are
    trying to compete with Anquets "Virtual Landscape" and if it
    supports the Aerial Maps, it going to be amazing!!

    "Our enhancements will give you the same as the Anquet
    Virtual Landscape but you will find that the 3D View will be
    less jerky, quicker and clearer with an array of extended
    options. I cannot say anymore at the present time. You will
    be able to download this for a 10 day trial at the end of
    the month"

  9. Kro

    Kro Guest

    I will have to wait for the Scottish aerial photos, but just
    had a shot of the 2004 MM, it's not bad, especially with use
    of a hex editor (learned about in this forum) on last years
    model....It works! I'd like to see the Anquet 3D view as the
    MM has limited options, you can't "fly" through the
    landscape for example.

    KRO