men cyclists?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Roche, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Roche

Roche New Member

Hey Ladies,
    I was just wondering what you ladies think of the men who cycle. I know its very easy to generalise but you know the type. Fit body, Shaven, can wear tights well....But lets face it, we are an ani-social bunch in the normal sense of the word. We dont go out drinking 5 times a week.
    So do you look on these attributes as a good thing or a bad thing? Would you/Have you dated cyclists? are they weird?
    And also, all of you non-cyclists that visit here......are we cyclist types just weird....are shaven legs on a man too much to take in?
    I'm just curious....

Tags:

2. milly valdes

milly valdes New Member

You know, I have noticed that male cyclists-- the serious roadies-- can be very disciplined, very focused, and very dedicated to the sport and to their bodies. That being said, serious roadies can be inflexible, slightly solipsistic, and too driven. Potential for a rocky relationship can be high during the spring and summer months...Hmmm. But screw the stereotypes, everyone is different!!!
    Here's the bottom line:
    Boys have great thighs/legs to look at and feel! Put a sock in their mouths-- to silence their single track conversation about this race or that tour and that giro-- and you are golden!
    M

3. Scott L R

Scott L R New Member

"inflexible. slopistic"? what? I ride, I don't shave, other than my chin, I don't have an ego but I don't fit the stereotype "malecyclist" snob. I consider myself a nice guy I have made many friends riding, men, and women.:D

4. Roche

Roche New Member

i reckon he's Gay!!

5. cfsmtb

cfsmtb New Member

Nope, probably one of these new trendy metrosexuals ;)))). (cue: Posh n' Becks)
    Seriously, there's soooo many tribes within cycling, not every blokes a roady. Know heaps of pedalling lads who don't fit the bill of tight lycra, campo gruppos and highly strung personalities. MTB, Audax, commuters, touring, singlespeed etc. Room for all I say. But must admit I don't understand some extremes of cycling, like elite road stuff and snotty boys on expen$ive downhill rigs. Like trials & BMX, but I'll _never be physically capable of participating at that level. Great to watch though. Off to Castlemaine this weekend with my partner to the Single Speed Worlds, do one lap & retire gracefully:p beer is ma friend...:D

6. Tara Louise

Tara Louise New Member

hi,
    I am a lady cyclist and i can't resist a guy who has a fit body and even more who shaves his legs!!! and i know many other non-lady cyclists and they have the same opinion as my-self.
    Futher more the cycling guys i hang around with in QLD can be very anti-social but don't know it (they don't want 2 know) but that fact that you r interested sends the message that you r curious and different the most men cyclists!

7. sm266

sm266 New Member

I didn't get into the whole cyclist guy thing bc I ride a mtb and many of those guys around here are snobby. They think girls who ride a mtb are cool, but they tend to look down on us bc we're not always as fast. For a long time I was the only girl riding with all guys and they actually called me "the girl." Example: "I don't know Chris, what does THE GIRL want to do? Can THE GIRL do that? How about we give THE GIRL a headstart, then?" I'm a competitive sport class racer, and I'm getting this kind of speak because I possess ovaries and tits!?!

So, I trained harder and eventually dropped them, especially on the technical stuff, and converted my new BF who once rode BMX when he was younger to a mtb and it's been bliss. He doesn't shave, barely wears shorts, and we can go out and play together instead of competing all the time in some testerone driven tunnel. It's great.

If we break up, I may date a cyclist, but I'm not sure we'd ride together a lot.

8. cyclinggirl32

cyclinggirl32 New Member

Ok, this was a funny thread...and although the last post was a while ago, I figure I'll add my 2 cents. I am a serious cyclist (ok so I thought), then I started dating my current boyfriend. I went from planning races everyother weekend...to racing not only every weekend, but both days! We ride together...but he drops me and I am ok with that. I just meet them at the half way spot and I usually don't get dropped after that. I love the shaved legs. I love the trips (of course centered around cycling). You gotta love the sport to be with a serious cyclist...otherwise it won't work.

9. ausgirl

ausgirl New Member

Cyclinggirl32 said that "You gotta love the sport to be with a serious cyclist...otherwise it won't work."

I agree on this one. Nearly noone but another cyclist will understand a serious cyclist's (whether you're male or female) dedication to the sport. I think this is because cycling often dictates when you go to bed and wake up, your social life, what you eat, how you look at some things. If someone doesn't understand cycling and what it means they'll probably whinge about your habits and you'll both be unhappy.

I haven't tried it, but if they've got a similar level of dedication to another sport like tennis, running or swimming, they might understand enough for it to work.

10. Roche

Roche New Member

Bloody hell this was a long time ago! The last few replies have been very apt to me though i must admit. I've been going out with a girl since Christmas and she loves the idea that im an athlete and loves the fact that im fit and disciplined and stuff BUT is really having trouble with the idea that i have to race/train every weekend for 40 weeks of the year. I think she thought Christmas had come early when i broke my collar bone last June but not riding my bike just made me irritable! So much bloody energy and couldnt do anything to burn it up!
    I just dont know what to make of it all! Maybe we should start a lonely hearts club among fellow cyclists! So few women racing in this country of mine though, i think ill move to Austrailia if it takes off!

11. *Alice

*Alice New Member

my boyfriend is pro cyclist.. a serious, disciplined and dedicated one. He is in awesome shape and very healthy. He bikes almost everyday to work, he frequents the gym a few times a week...and he still manages to find time for friends, family, volunteering, etc. He is very focused and organized.
    He has been definitely a positive influence on me. I'm eating healthier now and he's giving me a lot of motivation to start doing sports again. I used to be an athlete (volleyball, badminton and fencing) who then became a couch potato after graduating from high school. It's hard to go to school, do homework and work full time. It leaves me no energy to exercise anymore. But I remember how focused I used to be physically active.
    anyways, my boyfriend is going to help me get back on track.
    and i'm going to be able to kick his butt in no time! :D hehe

12. Lyz2814

Lyz2814 New Member

I'd like to date a cyclist, if only because it'd easier to explain why I need so much stuff, and why I need to go off on my own for hours at a time and ride.

I mean, besides the legs and the fitness, etc. But all the guys on my route always pass me at lightning speed, heh. But maybe...

13. *Alice

*Alice New Member

yea. there's no way i can go biking with my boyfriend. i'm really really slow (i only started biking 2 months ago).
    but we share interests in other sports too, so that's cool:)

14. Lyz2814

Lyz2814 New Member

I also work and go to night school--and it is tough. But maybe because I was a runner in high school/college--it's really easy for me to get those endorphins going, so I almost get a jones for working out. And it's something I can feel relatively competent at, which is a bonus. I see how I'm getting better, even if I'm not very fast.

I went on match.com and searched on keywords like biking and cyclist. Found some interesting hits, including a 30 year old lawyer. I wonder if I'll have the guts to write him, I'm feeling especially peasanty/not pretty lately.

15. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

Alice:

Maybe you can answer a volleyball question that I have had since the last olympics, to wit: Why does one team member on each side wear a different uniform than the rest of the team? Thanks.

16. Lyz2814

Lyz2814 New Member

I'm not Alice, but I think it has something to do w/ the Libero player/rules: http://www.volleyball.org/rules/libero.html

17. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i'm a cyclist i ride road TT fixie and MTB trails. i ride all 3 in shorts, mainly cut off combats or something loose with big pockets, occassionally i'll ride in cycling shorts or my skinsuit but i usually wear something loose over them, however i must have to admit that i have on 2 occassions waxed mylegs.. but i don't intend to do it again.

I bought a Trainer, so that i can ride whilst sitting in watching a movie <best seat in the house, I like to ride on my trainer whilst watching a film or why the missus does the ironing the kids can come hold a convosation with me 'well not all the time, sometime i don't have the breath to speak' but they come to chat and seem to understand every grunt i make.

I ride almost everywhere, to work to the shop out on longer rides when its nice but still i get to put 1 or 2 hours in each night and no one seems to mind, although i do like my space sometimes and that space is usually out on the road on my own.

All of a sudden i have a partner that is interested in what i'm doing, she can see my improvements, my son recites my intervals Power / Time / Distance / Cadence and when i should be recovering. the best thing is i don't seem to be neglecting my family responsibilities but still get to put i the hours doing the thing i love.

19. Muddy Beast

Muddy Beast New Member

i noticed some people said that there looked down apon and i was thinking *im a guy* that if there were a girl around here that wanted to ride, my age of course *im 13* then i would totally slow down with them, and even let them lead, and help them out with w/e they might need help with and teach them what i know...because im a mountain biker were free riding was invented *according to MOuntain Bike mag* in the Pacific, but theres like no girls around here, and im even trying to get a girl i like in to the sport so we can hang out more often, if there was a girl around here cycling that i knew of id look up to them for going for a sport thats known as a mostly guy sport and a girl riding with guys is an awsome thing for her to be doing

~Scott

20. TrekCyclerChic

TrekCyclerChic New Member

I'm a chick... biking for a year. I work my ass off to compete with guys and girls around here. Thankfully have a gf who is a great racer and well known and liked, and knows all the guys so when I was begining they would help me out. Now I'm starting with mtn biking and have trouble keeping up (my mtn bike is a piece of shit too, so that doens't help) but it's not too bad cause the people i ride with are for the most part understanding. and most of the people I road bike with are about my level (guys and girls) and it's not that bad.

My bf didn't understand me needing to ride every day and spending hours away from him... and so I said "get a bike". We split up, then a month later he gets a bike. We are friends and ride sometimes, but I don't know if I can ever date a guy who doesn't bike, or at least doesn't share the same dedication to a sport as I do. The dieting, the hours on the road, leaving for three months to ride across the entire continent, obsessing about bikes, racing, parts, working on my bike in the living room, spending hours at the bike shop "looking" and talking to people... I will always be like this, and need someone who gets it, cause I'm not changing or giving it up for anyone.

There's a guy I like who doens't bike and I think he's already annoyed cause I didn't change my biking plans to go out with him yesterday. I don'tsee us going anywhere. But there are two biking guys (one is going on the tour this summer with me) who are hot, nice, funny, and understand me/cycling... so we shall see.

There was another post under the training forums that was about balancing family with biking... A lot of men complaining that their wives didn't understand them biking and everything that goes with it. Another reason to date someone who does understand, because once you get married and start popping out babies, things get much harder to balance, and having an understanding spouse will help keep you and them happy.

Diana
    www.crazygirlonabike.com