Men's team with opening for composite riders in UCI 2.5 Vuelta Independence Nacional in Dominican

Patrick

Guest
Hello.

While I am 'retired' from managing the verizon wireless women's team (while i go off and finish my
PhD), I hope this email finds you all happy and healthy...

A friend of mine has an invitation to the Veulta Independencia Nacional (UCI 2.5) in the Dominican
Republic. It starts this wednesday (yes, one week from yesterday). feb 19, 2003

here's a link from 2001... note the national teams from most of latin america in attendance...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/feb01/domrep01.shtml

If you know of anyone interested in going.. here are the specs.

contact [email protected] **NOT** me. thx :)

requires UCI elite license *and* your passport or driver's license and birth certificate (should be
embossed with local seal) in hand (and team release - if license is attached)

the 2003 event is 9 stages and is 1286km.

waaaaaaaay better then a little 3-day in so cal or a week of training camp in the carolinas!

cost is $900 per person. includes, mechanic support, feed support. hotel/food and air/ground
transfers from nycity, usa. yes, that does INCLUDE airfare from usa, too!

also includes team clothing. ride your own bike. U will need to bring some ancillary cash... but
most is covered in the plan.

includes all race fees (you need your own uci license.. either unattached team or bring a
waiver-release letter allowing you to join a composite team).

includes gu/BOTTLED water, other on-bike food (Clif bars, etc) and buffet at hotel nitely.

includes housing until saturday, the 1st of March.. stay a day or two and recover and get sunburned.
two weeks of fun (grinding very hard stage race is fun?) in the sun. racing is over 27th hotels till
the 28th, if you want to stay a day or three, bring some cash for cheap tourist hotel.

depart NY on Monday Feb 17 (if not flying from ny area or connecting through ny, make contact to
determine appropriate course of action).

ability to speak/read/communicate in spanish is a plus - but NOT required.

contact casey if you are interested... and have the next two weeks off from life and have a ton of
winter miles already in your legs. this is the real sh#@.

You must be ready to RACE for 1300km!

remember, contact casey.. not me. thx. pat rowland

[email protected]

Sounds like an opportunity for DavidSommerville.com.

Thanks, Ronde Champ

"patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello.
>

> While I am 'retired' from managing the verizon wireless women's team (while i go off and finish my
> PhD), I hope this email finds you all happy and healthy...
>

> A friend of mine has an invitation to the Veulta Independencia Nacional (UCI 2.5) in the Dominican
> Republic. It starts this wednesday (yes, one week from yesterday). feb 19, 2003
>

> here's a link from 2001... note the national teams from most of latin america in attendance...
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2001/feb01/domrep01.shtml
>

> If you know of anyone interested in going.. here are the specs.
>

> contact [email protected] **NOT** me. thx :)
>

> requires UCI elite license *and* your passport or driver's license and birth certificate (should
> be embossed with local seal) in hand (and team release - if license is attached)
>

> the 2003 event is 9 stages and is 1286km.
>

> waaaaaaaay better then a little 3-day in so cal or a week of training camp in the carolinas!
>

> cost is $900 per person. includes, mechanic support, feed support. hotel/food and air/ground
> transfers from nycity, usa. yes, that does INCLUDE airfare from usa, too!
>

> also includes team clothing. ride your own bike. U will need to bring some ancillary cash... but
> most is covered in the plan.
>
> includes all race fees (you need your own uci license.. either unattached team or bring a
> waiver-release letter allowing you to join a composite team).
>
> includes gu/BOTTLED water, other on-bike food (Clif bars, etc) and buffet at hotel nitely.
>
> includes housing until saturday, the 1st of March.. stay a day or two and recover and get
> sunburned. two weeks of fun (grinding very hard stage race is fun?) in the sun. racing is over
> 27th hotels till the 28th, if you want to stay a day or three, bring some cash for cheap
> tourist hotel.
>

> depart NY on Monday Feb 17 (if not flying from ny area or connecting through ny, make contact to
> determine appropriate course of action).
>

> ability to speak/read/communicate in spanish is a plus - but NOT required.
>

> contact casey if you are interested... and have the next two weeks off from life and have a ton of
> winter miles already in your legs. this is the real sh#@.
>
> You must be ready to RACE for 1300km!
>

> remember, contact casey.. not me. thx. pat rowland
>

> [email protected]

This really is a good race for anybody considering this opportunity. I did this race a few years
ago. . .and I can honestly say it's better organized than just about any race in the U.S. Well worth
the money and definately an opportunity you don't want to pass

Do the riders still stay in the vocational catholic school without running water in Jarabacoa?

One of my fav memories of that race was tipping back El Presidentes while watching the night's
baseball game in Jarabacoa, contrasting the hours earlier memories of "showering" by washing myself
with buckets of cold water dipped out of a 55 gallon drum.

"loverboyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This really is a good race for anybody considering this opportunity. I did this race a few years
> ago. . .and I can honestly say it's better organized than just about any race in the U.S.

I'm not so sure about that...

> Well worth the money and definately an opportunity you don't want to pass

It is a pretty laid back race and is a good way to get in some early season racing, base miles,
and sunburn. Sometimes the whole thing seems pretty crazy at times, but in general, it's a
good, fun race.

The first year I raced it (1992), most the of the Dominicans were still using toe clip pedals and
one guy's top tube was held together with rebar welded to it. No ****.

Approach it with a sense of adventure and a sense of humor (as you should any south of the border
race) and you'll have a great time.

davidsommerville.com will be in Spain pretty much the duration of this trip.

David Sommerville

news:<[email protected]>...
> Do the riders still stay in the vocational catholic school without running water in Jarabacoa?
>
> One of my fav memories of that race was tipping back El Presidentes while watching the night's
> baseball game in Jarabacoa, contrasting the hours earlier memories of "showering" by washing
> myself with buckets of cold water dipped out of a 55 gallon drum.

The night at Jarabacoa we got a hotel a little outside of town. . .Fairly nice hotel and very
inexpensive. . .that could be why my memories are a bit fonder. But thats the only night I would
reccomend not staying at the place the race provides for you

"loverboyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This really is a good race for anybody considering this opportunity. I did this race a few years
> ago. . .and I can honestly say it's better organized than just about any race in the U.S. Well
> worth the money and definately an opportunity you don't want to pass

You know what I've noticed: whenever anybody posts to RBR about a race that they did outside the
country, they HAVE to say how it was so much better it was than any race that they've ever done in
the US. This is especially true if they had to go somewhere really far away, like anywhere in
Eastern Europe or South America.

It reminds me of high school, when your buddy went to the Pink Floyd concert and you had to work.
"DUDE, you should have seen it. We partied SOOO hard. They had, like a 30 foot pig that floated
down,and the chicks were way hotter than the Iron Maiden concert we went to last month...!"

When I'm 85 in the nursing home and I decide not to go see the 06:00 magic show because I'm afraid
that I won't be able to make it to the bathroom, I bet my roommate is gonna come back and tell me
how it was so much more entertaining than the accordion player that they brought in the week before.