Men's World Road Race : 2012

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Where : Valkenburg, The Netherlands

When : Sunday 23rd September 2012.

Distance : 267 kms.

This year's men's road race parcours looks pretty tough with plenty of leg sapping climbs such as the [COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]Bemelerberg and Cauberg, within a 267km route through the Dutch countryside.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]My own view is that an out and out road man such as a Classics type rider is likely to win this.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]I'd love to see Oscar Freire add to his three road race titles by winning this race but will the Spanish team work for Valverde instead?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]Gilbert's form has come good win a stage win in the Vuelta after a (by his standards) a disappoint 2012 season.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]Again like Spain, the Belgian team might instead work for Boonen.[/COLOR]

As ever if the Italian national squad can work together someone like Nibali could well win.

[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]At the time of posting there is still no official start list so it's difficult to nominate a bolter who might upset the favourites.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(34, 30, 31)]Kolobnev? [/COLOR]

Reactions: qdc15
Originally Posted by alienator .

Sagan.
You know I wouldn't be surprised if this guy did win the race.

My only reservation about him is that he doesn't have a strong squad as other contenders have at their disposal.

Besides the strong squad, Sagan may lack the form that marked him like one of the favorites. But young riders can pick up the form quickly, so I think experience will be the factor which will determine his result.
It seems that every outcome, but the pure mass sprint, is possible on this course. It really offers plenty of options to teams and riders.
Judging by the result of U23 race, there's too much road after the Cauberg for successful solo effort.
There are opinions that the climb before Cauberg is better place for fruitful attack.
My opinion is that something similar to Mendrisio will happen. And that wouldn't be bad at all, on contrary.
I'm really looking forward to it.

wishing i could tip sagan for the arc en ciel. have to say that the slovak team does have three other pro rank riders in sagan's brother and the velits boys, so there is a chance that they could steal a march on those who are marking the bigger guns. sentimental pick is friere. i'd like to see a dark horse from the usa like phinney or real longshot tejay van g come across. but i'm putting my money on p gilbert.

The race has started. Break needed about an hour to form.
My wish is Boonen. I'm not sure that 10 passes over the Cauberg are exactly his cup of tea, but classic nature of the course certainly gives him a chance to show intelligence and experience.
Would be nice achievement to defend Flanders - Roubaix double in the Rainbow jersey again. Maybe the Gipsy doesn't think so.

This looks like an interesting race. A group of 11 riders have a minute or so lead on the chasers.

Cavendish has packed. Froome doesn't look to happy either.

There was no surprise.
That's the title Gilbert was targeting last couple of years, and today finished off the job in his trademark style. When I saw 4 Belgians and no Spaniards just before the attack, I couldn't believe. Great teamwork of Belgian team, and big fail for Spaniards despite Valverde's medal, I'd say.

Next year, Nibali will have to justify expectations, like Gilbert did today.

still in all, big tip of the hat to contadore for having put it all on the road for valverde. would have preferred friere, but so be it, valverde was there at the end. and, yes, the belgians made no effort to conceal that they were willing to let the other teams make the effort to close down the break and bide their chances at the final assault. but, no doubt, very good team tactics for the belgians. and gilbert did just drop everybody on the climb and never stopped.

Well, Vansummeren, De Weert and Devenyns were at the front of the bunch, and kept the escapees on reasonable distance, while Meersman was only Belgian in the breakaway. The moment Leukemans joined the group in front, it was time for others to take over the pace setting. They didn't even get the opportunity to use Roelandts and Van Avermaet, because of less aggressive final two laps.
Having 3 men in the big breakaway, Spaniards were tactically in perfect situation and didn't do anything in the bunch. That was well executed pre-race plan, and that's why I'm surprised they were outnumbered by Belgians at the Cauberg. With Valverde, Rodriguez, Sanchez, Freire and Contador this should have been their race easily... Theoretically, they've had more than enough riders capable of catching and countering every attack... Theoretically.
They simply shouldn't let this happen to them.

Originally Posted by Andrija .

Well, Vansummeren, De Weert and Devenyns were at the front of the bunch, and kept the escapees on reasonable distance, while Meersman was only Belgian in the breakaway. The moment Leukemans joined the group in front, it was time for others to take over the pace setting. They didn't even get the opportunity to use Roelandts and Van Avermaet, because of less aggressive final two laps.
Having 3 men in the big breakaway, Spaniards were tactically in perfect situation and didn't do anything in the bunch. That was well executed pre-race plan, and that's why I'm surprised they were outnumbered by Belgians at the Cauberg. With Valverde, Rodriguez, Sanchez, Freire and Contador this should have been their race easily... Theoretically, they've had more than enough riders capable of catching and countering every attack... Theoretically.
They simply shouldn't let this happen to them.
So burst of power by Gilbert to take the title. I'm delighted for him.

i think your point about Spain is spot on. By far they had the strongest team in the race and should have been pushing for the overall win.