Mental Energy is Zapped

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by mike, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    Hi guys..im a noob to this forum..and also kind of a noob to fitness too..
    I have always had problems sticking to a fitness/weight lifting type
    program... I usually almost always quit after a few weeks or a month.. But
    this time i really wanted to be dedicated to it and find out internally WHY
    i quit while im ahead....which in this case is bad..

    Usually i would have a muscle sprain or something that would last for
    days...that would prevent me from weight lifting....And that right there
    would screw up my whole momentum... and not make me feel like
    continuing...usually it would be lower back pain, or neck pain... But ever
    since i bought these wall posters on how to Stretch practically every muscle
    in your body before excersizing...i havent had this problem anymore...
    Actually, i kind of had some lower back pain while doing situps....but i put
    a small pillow under my back and that seems to help... One good rule of
    thumb is to when stretching your neck muscles, NEVER go in a 360 degree
    motion.... That right there will cause a neck sprain... Man...i was so dumb
    when i was younger, i would always do it like that... Now i do it in a 180
    degrees motion from left to right...right to left while looking down..

    Oh yea, and if i found a way to NOT hurt myself while lifting weights, i
    would hurt myself running and jogging... Usually Blisters on the feet...
    those painful ones that would knock you out for days..

    So now that i have eliminated all of the problems i mentioned above... I
    have been going a good 2 weeks straight of jogging and weight lifting
    without any injuries... My only problem now is Mental Energy.. My muscles
    feel good...my body feels good... But i feel exhausted before i even start
    working out now.. Usually the energy drinks would do the trick (Mountain
    Dew's AMP , Sobe's Adrenaline Rush , Red Bull , and Arizona's Energy Drink )
    ..... But they seem to only help a fraction asmuch as they did before...
    During the first 3 days i started i had SOOO much energy and
    motivation...and now after 2 weeks i am zapped mentally... I want to be able
    to keep my mental energy sustained and also my motivation... this is a
    critical time for me now because i DONT want to stop... Im like my own
    motivator and have to kick my own ass to keep me going sometimes...but i
    will not quit...i want to do this for me..

    I would just appreciate any info ...whether it be products or whatever...on
    how to keep my mental energy up so i can continue with this... I think i am
    doing too much and its probably part of why im so zapped...but i want to
    keep at this pace...Like i said...physically i can handle it without a
    problem...Its just mentally... Like an hour ago i drank a Sobe Adrenaline
    Rush and a Arizona Energy Drink and i almost passed out sleeping...didnt
    seem to have much of an effect... The current supplements i am taking is
    Panax Ginseng , Ginko Biloba , Tuarine , Hemp Seed Oil , Daily Vitamin,
    Protein Drinks .... My daily food intake generally consists of 2 servings of
    Oatbran in the morning....and usually protein type foods in the afternoon
    and evening.. (beef jerk, turkey jerky , nuts , yogurt, energy drinks,
    ....and sometimes icecream in the evening when im naughty.) I know i need to
    eat some vegetables and all...but i cant stand the taste..

    any help would be appreciated

    thanks and be well,

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Justin Case

    Justin Case Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:09:49 -0500, "mike"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would just appreciate any info ...whether it be products or whatever...on
    >how to keep my mental energy up so i can continue with this... I think i am
    >doing too much and its probably part of why im so zapped...but i want to
    >keep at this pace...Like i said...physically i can handle it without a
    >problem...Its just mentally... Like an hour ago i drank a Sobe Adrenaline
    >Rush and a Arizona Energy Drink and i almost passed out sleeping...didnt
    >seem to have much of an effect... The current supplements i am taking is
    >Panax Ginseng , Ginko Biloba , Tuarine , Hemp Seed Oil , Daily Vitamin,
    >Protein Drinks .... My daily food intake generally consists of 2 servings of
    >Oatbran in the morning....and usually protein type foods in the afternoon
    >and evening.. (beef jerk, turkey jerky , nuts , yogurt, energy drinks,
    >...and sometimes icecream in the evening when im naughty.) I know i need to
    >eat some vegetables and all...but i cant stand the taste..

    Quit the energy drinks for a start. They'll pick you up short term,
    but when that's over you're left with less energy than you started out
    with. Learn to do without them.
    Otherwise, do you have a goal? There has to be something to work
    towards to keep you focused and motivated to continue. Both a short
    term and a long term thing would help.

  3. David

    David Guest

    "mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > any help would be appreciated

    As for the muscle strain, back & neck stuff, I'd suggest a few visits to a good chiropractor
    (as with an MD, it helps to be careful in your choice of doctor). Mine has a combination
    of techniques beyond standard chiropractic (I think many of them do), and has done amazing
    things for me. Massage therapy, in the form of Myofascial Release might help too. Rolfing
    may be similar, but I have no firsthand experience.

    You might switch to zero herbs unless prescribed by a qualified health practitioner.
    I think that it can be counterproductive to take the wrong ones for your body or health needs.

    Oh, and your diet doesn't sound great. But you already know that. And the mental energy
    part could well be related. You might see a nutritionist to get checked for deficiencies, set up
    a balanced diet, etc.

  4. "mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi guys..im a noob to this forum..and also kind of a noob to fitness
    > too.. I have always had problems sticking to a fitness/weight lifting
    > type program... I usually almost always quit after a few weeks or a
    > month.. But this time i really wanted to be dedicated to it and find
    > out internally WHY i quit while im ahead....which in this case is
    > bad..

    Grasshopper :), everyone needs to back off periodically or they burn out
    (or at least plateau). Don't be afraid of feeling like quitting after a
    few weeks, plan for it instead. Workout for three weeks of gradually
    increasing difficulty, then take a week off or at least cut back what
    you're doing by 1/3-1/2. You'll be ready to workout again at the start
    of week #5.

    -S-

> [...]
    > this... I think i am doing too much and its probably part of why im so
    > zapped...but i want to keep at this pace...Like i said...physically i
    > can handle it without a problem...Its just mentally... Like an hour
    > ago i drank a Sobe Adrenaline Rush and a Arizona Energy Drink and i
    > almost passed out sleeping...didnt seem to have much of an effect...
    > The current supplements i am taking is Panax Ginseng , Ginko Biloba ,
    > Tuarine , Hemp Seed Oil , Daily Vitamin, Protein Drinks .... My daily
    > food intake generally consists of 2 servings of Oatbran in the
    > morning....and usually protein type foods in the afternoon and
    > evening.. (beef jerk, turkey jerky , nuts , yogurt, energy drinks,
    > ...and sometimes icecream in the evening when im naughty.) I know i
    > need to eat some vegetables and all...but i cant stand the taste..

  5. Z

    Z Guest

    Well, first of all, no marathon posts. Keep it to a couple paragraphs
    and you'll get better answers. We all deal with the same stuff you're
    describing.

    The lower back ache might be because you bend your back when you
    stretch your hams. Try keeping your back arched when you stretch for a
    week and see if this helps. Stop twisting when you stretch

    Mental energy. Get some testosterone if you know a doctor. Otherwise,
    train each bodypart only once a week and use an exercise bike three
    times a week instead of jogging.

    Stop eating high-glycemic carbs, period. Eat low glycemic carbs 3 to 4
    hours prior to training and no carbs only pure protein after that until
    about 1/2 hr into your workout. Then sip about 35 gm moderate glycemic
    carbs and 20 gm carb, 3 gm Leucine (Metabolol plain flavor) in the
    middle of your workout and again immediately (immediately) after your
    workout.

    After your workout your muscle are incredibly sensitive to the effects
    of insulin and this allows you to drive gobs of aminos and carbs into
    muscle. There is a book coming out by Dr. Ivy that reviews a couple
    dozen studies on the subject. What I described will help you take
    advantage of this. The difference in these studies is dramatic. In 12
    weeks the group that followed this protocol gained 8% more muscle. The
    control group gained zip. Which is what most of us gain most of the
    time.

    Any sugary caffeine drink taken prior to training will screw up insulin
    sensitivity and kill recovery. Snort coffee grounds instead... just
    kidding.

    sorry for the marathon post.

  6. mike

    mike Guest

    "Z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mental energy. Get some testosterone if you know a doctor. Otherwise,
    > train each bodypart only once a week and use an exercise bike three
    > times a week instead of jogging.
    >
    > Stop eating high-glycemic carbs, period. Eat low glycemic carbs 3 to 4
    > hours prior to training and no carbs only pure protein after that until
    > about 1/2 hr into your workout. Then sip about 35 gm moderate glycemic
    > carbs and 20 gm carb, 3 gm Leucine (Metabolol plain flavor) in the
    > middle of your workout and again immediately (immediately) after your
    > workout.
    >
    > After your workout your muscle are incredibly sensitive to the effects
    > of insulin and this allows you to drive gobs of aminos and carbs into
    > muscle. There is a book coming out by Dr. Ivy that reviews a couple
    > dozen studies on the subject. What I described will help you take
    > advantage of this. The difference in these studies is dramatic. In 12
    > weeks the group that followed this protocol gained 8% more muscle. The
    > control group gained zip. Which is what most of us gain most of the
    > time.
    >
    > Any sugary caffeine drink taken prior to training will screw up insulin
    > sensitivity and kill recovery. Snort coffee grounds instead... just
    > kidding.
    >
    > sorry for the marathon post.

    Thanks for the posts everybody.. Z, i guess im going to have to get the
    sugar free Red Dog drinks and such... Those drinks really do help for me..
    Im also looking into this supplement you recommended (Leucine)... I didnt
    know much about the difference between high glycemic and low glycemic foods
    either...I found a site that lists the low ones and the high ones :
    http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/carbs/8/ (near middle of the page )
    and noticed i mostly only have high glycemic foods in my house..

    Z, one question...should i only take my protein shakes AFTER weight lifting
    ? Im guessing after i jog also..and not before.

    mike