Merckx #1

Russ Baxter

Guest
Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
French cycling is at a low point.

> Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
> French cycling is at a low point.

What about Boonen, isn't he suppose to be the next Lance.....errr....Eddy??

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
> > > French cycling is at a low point.

> > What about Boonen, isn't he suppose to be the next

Lance.....errr....Eddy??

> The next Wallace. See picture halfway down page.
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/news/articles/6592.0.html

Techno Trousers would have been handy on a day like today.

[email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
> French cycling is at a low point.

Yeah, but we don't focus on the Tour. Belgium is a nation of classics
riders. Allways has been, btw.
But you're right. Belgian cycling has lost a lot of quality since 5
years ago. The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.
I wish we still had cyclists on that level. Although, we have a nice
future with Boonen.

Kenny (prediction: Noboby knows where he is, nobody knows what he is
doing but Peter VP wins the olympic race in Athens)

Kenny wrote:
> The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
> Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
> Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.

Why do you think Bruylandts was so good?

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Kenny wrote:
> > The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
> > Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
> > Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.

> Why do you think Bruylandts was so good?

Idd :) But it still stays a damn good team.

I hope for Dave doesn't affect his relationship, cause loosing that
girl is much worse then being suspended for 4 years:
--> http://users.skynet.be/davebruylandts/fotos_lnk/fotos-quiz.html

Kenny (how the hell did he get her?)

Kenny wrote:
> I hope for Dave doesn't affect his relationship, cause loosing that
> girl is much worse then being suspended for 4 years:

Sometimes the fear of losing is more of a motivation to cheat than the
desire for winning.

"K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>...
> > Why do you think Bruylandts was so good?
> >
> > Idd :) But it still stays a damn good team.
> >
> > I hope for Dave doesn't affect his relationship, cause loosing that
> > girl is much worse then being suspended for 4 years:
> > -->

> http://users.skynet.be/davebruylandts/fotos_lnk/fotos-quiz.html
>
> THAT is one BIZARRE Web page.
>
> > Kenny (how the hell did he get her?)

He won her in that game show. The guy with the wild hair came in second.
(Well that's what it looks like to me)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Kenny wrote:
> > > The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
> > > Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
> > > Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.

> > Why do you think Bruylandts was so good?

> Idd :) But it still stays a damn good team.
>
> I hope for Dave doesn't affect his relationship, cause loosing that
> girl is much worse then being suspended for 4 years:
> --> http://users.skynet.be/davebruylandts/fotos_lnk/fotos-quiz.html
>
> Kenny (how the hell did he get her?)

Better this couple:

http://users.skynet.be/davebruylandts/fotos_lnk/fotos-quiz_fichiers/PICT7340
..JPG

than this one:

http://users.skynet.be/davebruylandts/fotos_lnk/fotos-quiz_fichiers/PICT7335
..JPG

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

[email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
> > French cycling is at a low point.

> Yeah, but we don't focus on the Tour. Belgium is a nation of classics
> riders. Allways has been, btw.
> But you're right. Belgian cycling has lost a lot of quality since 5
> years ago. The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
> Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
> Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.
> I wish we still had cyclists on that level. Although, we have a nice
> future with Boonen.
>
> Kenny (prediction: Noboby knows where he is, nobody knows what he is
> doing but Peter VP wins the olympic race in Athens)

I hope Kevin Van Impe is like his father. I think though more and more
Belgians are choosing cross-country. They still dominate that. A few
years ago we had Criquellion and Bruyneel who were not too bad in
stage races, remember? But you're right, I don't see anyone besides
Boonen coming up the ranks, unless there are some young riders that I
haven't heard of. Verbrugghe has lost a lot it seems.

[email protected] (Andre) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Axel is the top Belgian in the race, in 29th place. And they say that
> > > French cycling is at a low point.

> > Yeah, but we don't focus on the Tour. Belgium is a nation of classics
> > riders. Allways has been, btw.
> > But you're right. Belgian cycling has lost a lot of quality since 5
> > years ago. The national squad for the WC in Verona'99 was exceptional:
> > Museeuw, Van Petegem, Tchmil, Vandenbroucke, Peeters, Wauters, Merckx,
> > Mattan, Bruylandts. Probably the best team we had since the eighties.
> > I wish we still had cyclists on that level. Although, we have a nice
> > future with Boonen.
> >
> > Kenny (prediction: Noboby knows where he is, nobody knows what he is
> > doing but Peter VP wins the olympic race in Athens)

> I hope Kevin Van Impe is like his father.

Luciens is Kevin's uncle

> I think though more and more
> Belgians are choosing cross-country. They still dominate that. A few
> years ago we had Criquellion and Bruyneel who were not too bad in
> stage races, remember? But you're right, I don't see anyone besides
> Boonen coming up the ranks, unless there are some young riders that I
> haven't heard of. Verbrugghe has lost a lot it seems.

That's the point. We had a weaker generation (°1971-°1975) and
somehow some guys saw potential Tour talent in them. I couldn't not
believe why. These riders didn't have it. So we lost an entire
generation,lost 5 years. The thing is, belgian riders are classics
masters, it should stay that way (24 WC's since 1927). That's the
field we used to be good at, not GT's (a few exceptions though). If
there rises an incredible belgian tour talent, we will all notice it.
But the base has to be classics en 1day races.

Kenny