Merckx disappointed with Armstrong..........................................

Heinz Getzler

Guest
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/aug03/aug31news)

""At the time, I reacted as a former rider," Merckx explained in an interview with La
Dernière Heure."

"He maintains, however, that Armstrong's performance in Liège was sub-par. "Tactically, Lance rode
poorly. When your name is Armstrong and you're riding to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège, you should ride
differently."

"He also remains somewhat disappointed with the latest five-Tour winner's decision not to contest
the World Championships, even on North American soil. "It's too bad that a rider with Armstrong's
talent doesn't participate in the biggest races," Merckx said. "When you're a champion like him, you
have to take the chance of entering races where you can be beaten."""

Eddy is right when he says that Lance is too worried about being beaten. It's really beyond me why
Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics. on the otherhand, unlike some other american tdf
winner one certainly has to respect Lance's humility when he says that he is not as great as Merckx
or Hinault.

>It's really beyond me why Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics.

one word, actually it's usually used in a threesome.... Half--- as in "I'm taking HALF!" There is a
certain young lady in his life that would like a man around the house I think. Honey, Oh Lance the
twins are _________________ again.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/aug03/aug31news)
>
> ""At the time, I reacted as a former rider," Merckx explained in an interview with La
> Dernière Heure."
>
> "He maintains, however, that Armstrong's performance in Liège was sub-par. "Tactically, Lance rode
> poorly. When your name is Armstrong and you're riding to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège, you should ride
> differently."
>
> "He also remains somewhat disappointed with the latest five-Tour winner's decision not to contest
> the World Championships, even on North American soil. "It's too bad that a rider with Armstrong's
> talent doesn't participate in the biggest races," Merckx said. "When you're a champion like him,
> you have to take the chance of entering races where you can be beaten."""
>
> Eddy is right when he says that Lance is too worried about being beaten. It's really beyond me why
> Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics. on the otherhand, unlike some other american tdf
> winner one certainly has to respect Lance's humility when he says that he is not as great as
> Merckx or Hinault.

From the same interview, you left this out:

"Armstrong understands this, but it's still too bad for cycling. Lance, I think, also takes into
account the fact that he had cancer. He can't let himself ride the entire year; he needs to take the
time to recover."

Heinz Getzler wrote:
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/aug03/aug31news)
>
> ""At the time, I reacted as a former rider," Merckx explained in an interview with La
> Dernière Heure."
>
> "He maintains, however, that Armstrong's performance in Liège was sub-par. "Tactically, Lance rode
> poorly. When your name is Armstrong and you're riding to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège, you should ride
> differently."

Well, like he said at an Amstel Gold (though may have not meant it) the race doesn't matter to him.
It's his early season training and seeing who the other riders are and where he stands in respect to
them. He likes to play his cards close. It's worked so far.

> "He also remains somewhat disappointed with the latest five-Tour winner's decision not to contest
> the World Championships, even on North American soil. "It's too bad that a rider with Armstrong's
> talent doesn't participate in the biggest races," Merckx said. "When you're a champion like him,
> you have to take the chance of entering races where you can be beaten."""

I think Lance is a bit like the groundhog. If he sees a shadow there will be less racing later in
the season, or something like that. As admirable as winning 5 tours is, he's made it such a science
and a goal that there's little else to cheer about.

> Eddy is right when he says that Lance is too worried about being beaten. It's really beyond me why
> Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics. on the otherhand, unlike some other american tdf
> winner one certainly has to respect Lance's humility when he says that he is not as great as
> Merckx or Hinault.

An this is probably why he focuses on such a narrow goal.

Amdi8 wrote:

> [email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

>>[...] one certainly has to respect Lance's humility [...]
>

> I never thought I would hear the words "Lance" and "humility" in the same sentence. That ranks up
> there with "military intelligence".

I think Lance is humbled by Ekimov, who is quoted at the top of that same CN posting, as interested
in racing until he's 40. Does this guy have a life at home? It's amazing to see what Kivilev,
Vinokourov, and Ekimov have accomplished. One thing those old soviet althletic machines could do was
identify talent (then possibly movtivate it to succeed or was the next train to the Afghan front.)

Oh, and that's Colonel Vinokourov. I wonder if Kivilev was an officer, likewise, or Ekimov ever
received an officers title in the russian army.

In article <[email protected]>,
Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think Lance is humbled by Ekimov, who is quoted at the top of that same CN posting, as
> interested in racing until he's 40. Does this guy have a life at home? It's amazing to see what
> Kivilev, Vinokourov, and Ekimov have accomplished.

Don't forget Andrei Tchmil.

--
tanx, Howard

"You owe it to yourself, to your friends, to your parents, -not- to play in a band called Sonic
Death Monkey!" High Fidelity remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Here's the entire article:

~= No bad blood between Merckx and Armstrong =~

Long after the hoopla caused by criticism of Lance Armstrong he expressed live on Belgian
television, Eddy Merckx has softened his tone concerning Armstrong and his ride in this year's
Liège-Bastogne-Liège. At least concerning Armstrong's chase of lone leader Axel Merckx as the race
entered its final stages, that is.

"At the time, I reacted as a former rider," Merckx explained in an interview with La Dernière Heure.
"It wasn't really about Axel."

Merckx added that he and Lance have spoken often since April, and remain good friends. He maintains,
however, that Armstrong's performance in Liège was sub-par. "Tactically, Lance rode poorly. When
your name is Armstrong and you're riding to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège, you should ride differently."

Standing by his opinionated call of the race, Merckx added "now that I've found myself doing live
commentary, if it's not to say what I think, then what's the point?"

He also remains somewhat disappointed with the latest five-Tour winner's decision not to contest the
World Championships, even on North American soil. "It's too bad that a rider with Armstrong's talent
doesn't participate in the biggest races," Merckx said. "When you're a champion like him, you have
to take the chance of entering races where you can be beaten."

Merckx also acknowledged the enormous- and unique- importance of the Tour de France in the
United States, and the fact that it remains the focal point for American sponsorship. "Armstrong
understands this, but it's still too bad for cycling. Lance, I think, also takes into account
the fact that he had cancer. He can't let himself ride the entire year; he needs to take the
time to recover."

> Eddy is right when he says that Lance is too worried about being beaten. It's really beyond me why
> Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics. on the otherhand, unlike some other american tdf
> winner one certainly has to respect Lance's humility when he says that he is not as great as
> Merckx or Hinault.

Eddy is just trying to make sure Armstrong isn't as big of a name as Merckx, IMHO. I mean the guy
had his career and it is over. Armstrong focuses on the TdF, so what? What does that have to do with
Merckx? Why does he even comment on someone else? Armstrong had cancer, will no doubt have a movie
when he is done and will be hyped up so much when he retires it will be huge. He will go down as the
BEST TdF rider of all time IMHO. If I was going to choose a race that is the one I would pick. I
think it is getting under some of the old guys skin. They realize that their records are being
broken in the TdF and will fall to Lance. He is the man at that event, so Merckx is bringing up
Lance's career shortcomings. I think Merckx has lost much of his class when he makes these
statements. It just sounds like sour grapes to me. Merckx's sounds like an old hen.

If Lance wants to spend time doing other things and just race the TdF, then that is his choice. So
what? It is his life and he can do what he wants. Merckx, should just say Lance won the TdF again.
That is great, not that he is disappointed in this and that. It is tough getting old and Merckx is
showing us how tough it is on him.

Respectfully, Curt

onefred wrote:
> Here's the entire article:
>
> ~= No bad blood between Merckx and Armstrong =~

1. You forgot to include the source and author.
2. Post the link, not the entire article. It's copyrighted material.
3. If you're going to violate copyright laws anyway and post the entire article without attribution,
please sign with your real name and address.

Does any one that Lance will never achieve the respect other champions have attained if he doesn't
race and win races other than the Tour de France, his career will seem very narrow to me. Ullrich
seems to see this point as he as said that as his career progresses he may try to race and win some
of the classic one day races. In my opinion Le Tour is a narrow show of cycling ability. Time for
Lance to show how broad his cycling abilities are..
--
Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors. "Richard Adams"
> Heinz Getzler wrote:
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/aug03/aug31news)
> >
> > ""At the time, I reacted as a former rider," Merckx explained in an interview with La Dernière
> > Heure."
> >
> > "He maintains, however, that Armstrong's performance in Liège was sub-par. "Tactically, Lance
> > rode poorly. When your name is Armstrong and you're riding to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège, you
> > should ride differently."
>
> Well, like he said at an Amstel Gold (though may have not meant it) the race doesn't matter to
> him. It's his early season training and seeing who the other riders are and where he stands in
> respect to them. He likes to play his cards close. It's worked so far.
>
> > "He also remains somewhat disappointed with the latest five-Tour winner's decision not to
> > contest the World Championships, even on North American soil. "It's too bad that a rider with
> > Armstrong's talent doesn't participate in the biggest races," Merckx said. "When you're a
> > champion like him, you have to take the chance of entering races where you can be beaten."""
>
> I think Lance is a bit like the groundhog. If he sees a shadow there will be less racing later in
> the season, or something like that. As admirable as winning 5 tours is, he's made it such a
> science and a goal that there's little else to cheer about.
>
> > Eddy is right when he says that Lance is too worried about being beaten. It's really beyond me
> > why Lance has chosen to forgo the fall classics. on the otherhand, unlike some other american
> > tdf winner one certainly has to respect Lance's humility when he says that he is not as great as
> > Merckx or Hinault.
>
> An this is probably why he focuses on such a narrow goal.

Eddy Merckx has a lot of damn nerve. Lance is racing the San Francisco race. Eddy is just upset that
Lance isn't interested in his two up time trial. And lets hope the UCI makes SF a World Cup
event--it's short enough.

Robert Chung wrote:

> onefred wrote:
>
>>Here's the entire article:
>>
>>~= No bad blood between Merckx and Armstrong =~
>

> 1. You forgot to include the source and author.
> 2. Post the link, not the entire article. It's copyrighted material.
> 3. If you're going to violate copyright laws anyway and post the entire article without
> attribution, please sign with your real name and address.

The amazing this about this internet... is you could post a link to the article here and people
could click on it and go there and read for themselves.

Anyone who regularly reads rbr ought to know about CN anyway, as it's a great source for race
results, news and other stuff. (I just wish they had a better search engine.)

Scott Downie wrote:
> In my opinion Le Tour is a narrow show of cycling ability.

So which race is a wide show of cycling ability?

I just thought that in a couple of years, when the link to the article is broken, someone searching
Google Groups wouldn't have to wonder what the article read.

Dave

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just thought that in a couple of years, when the link to the article is
broken, someone
> searching Google Groups wouldn't have to wonder what the article read.

Thus far, cyclingnews doesn't break links, even for the old stuff.

>From: "curt"

>Eddy is just trying to make sure >Armstrong isn't as big of a name as >Merckx,
IMHO. I mean the guy had his >career and it is over.

Only the most pro wins, plus multiple Giros, Vuelta, seven M-SR's, etc. And winning every pro event
on the calender except Paris-Tours, and the track wins...

>Armstrong focuses on the TdF, so what? What does that have >to do with Merckx?

My "media" reading is scant but Merckx not only seems to have steered LA toward GT's but IMS some
years ago said he (LA) could win six. "Friend and advisor".

>Why does he even comment on someone else?

Old, good answer: Merckx is paid, why do you do it?

>when he retires it will be huge.

Assuming you mean his pile of money, rumors are "it" was pretty big before cancer. Certainly a lot
bigger now. --Tom Paterson

You make good points Tom. I am not going to get into a pissing contest with comparing Merckx to
Lance. Lance himself states he isn't the rider Merckx was. I just think people should chill out on
the guy. He had cancer. He went through kemo. His mind is forever changed from that. You never know
if the cancer could come back or whatever. I would like to see him race more, but at what expense?
Let they guy race his TdF's and enjoy his rides. I mean 5 straight is pretty impressive regardless
on whatever else he does during the course of the year.

I think Lance's life story is very inspirational. There are always people trying to put him down for
whatever reason. Many people would have given up on coming back after all he went through. He is one
strong dude, IMHO.

Enjoy, Curt

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "curt"
>
> >Eddy is just trying to make sure >Armstrong isn't as big of a name as
>Merckx, IMHO. I mean the guy had his >career and it is over.
>
> Only the most pro wins, plus multiple Giros, Vuelta, seven M-SR's, etc.
And
> winning every pro event on the calender except Paris-Tours, and the track wins...
>
> >Armstrong focuses on the TdF, so what? What does that have >to do with Merckx?
>
> My "media" reading is scant but Merckx not only seems to have steered LA
toward
> GT's but IMS some years ago said he (LA) could win six. "Friend and
advisor".

> >Why does he even comment on someone else?
>
> Old, good answer: Merckx is paid, why do you do it?
>
> >when he retires it will be huge.
>
> Assuming you mean his pile of money, rumors are "it" was pretty big before cancer. Certainly a lot
> bigger now. --Tom Paterson

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Scott Downie"
>
> >In my opinion Le Tour is a narrow show of cycling ability. Time for Lance to show how broad his
> >cycling abilities are..
>
> LA was a one-dayer with some hits and near misses (incl. the Ardennais
Weekend)
> before cancer-- he won San Sebastian, two Tour stages, Worlds RR, Fleche Wallone. He broadened his
> cycling abilities when he got lighter (improved
on
> long climbs), learned to TT, and started winning the Tour de France.
>
> TdF a narrow show? How is an event that requires top-level abilities in
ITT,
> TTT, climbing, and, at minimum, finishing in the bunch every stage for
three
> weeks "narrow"? --Tom Paterson

Tom, I couldn't put it better myself. The TdF narrow???? That is almost too silly to respond too.

Enjoy, Curt