Merckx disappointed with Armstrong..........................................

Well, like all sports, the level of tennis played today is much higher than in previous generations,
but I cannot argue with you reasoning here. I'm no tennis guru.

Maybe Sampras really is not the greatest tennis player then.

Dave

"Isidor Gunsberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Borg had to make due with an old wooden frame racket.

You mean he _chose_ to use a wooden racquet. Didn't McEnroe also prefer wooden racquets?

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Frankly, I think you hit the nail on the head, curt. Merckx is a
> self-centered arrogant
> > has-been that doesn't like the spot light being stolen from him.
>
> That's utter nonsense. Merckx is never arrogant, but also extremely courtuous and full of praise
> of all the "greats" who have succeeded him: Hinault, Fignon, Indurain, and also Armstrong. Merckx
> ' place in cycling history is secure, and he has nothing to fear. Certainly not Armstrong, a great
> rider but not quite on the same level as his.
>
> > If he wants to comment on Lance, then he should say a few positive words or nothing at all
> because Lance has done
> > nothing wrong with his career.
>
> As I said, Merckx has expressed his admiration for Armstrong many many times. However, Merckx is -
> rightly - concerned of the consequences of the way Armstrong's is building his career. The truth
> is that many other races are getting more and more into trouble. For instance, the Société du Tour
> de France is organizing 20 races, but only the Tour and Paris-Roubaix are making money. All the
> others, even Liège-Bastogne-Liège and Paris-Tours, are showing a deficit. Of course, this rather
> dangerous situation isn't helped much when the best rider of these years is deciding to focus his
> whole season on the Tour. It might be good for Amstrong, but it certainly isn't good for bicycle
> racing and Merckx should certainly be allowed to express his concern.

It really points to a much bigger problems with the way the World cup points are structured. The UCI
needs to demephasize the number of points that are given in the TDF. Another possibility would be to
do away with points altogether and base the World up on overall time.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> The TIIOYK thing is something that has always been part of rbr legend. I searched for it on
> google, but couldn't find anything save for Ligget referring to it and also Ilan Vardi.

> It's on the FAQ, but not attributed to Merckx. One of the old-timers, if they were still around,
> could probably tell us how it got attributed to him.

We're still around, and we get cranky when referred to as 'old-timers'.

Blame Bruce for the attribution:
http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=l7gsauINNk42%40exodus.Eng.Sun.COM

It was a bonus question in his contest on the 1992 Tour. It doesn't Google easily because it
appeared in rec.bicycles before the newsgroup split.

Bob "Geezerhead" Schwartz [email protected]

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The TIIOYK thing is something that has always been part of rbr legend. I searched for it on
> > google, but couldn't find anything save for Ligget referring to it and also Ilan Vardi.
>
> > It's on the FAQ, but not attributed to Merckx. One of the old-timers, if
they
> > were still around, could probably tell us how it got attributed to him.
>
> We're still around, and we get cranky when referred to as 'old-timers'.
>
> Blame Bruce for the attribution:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?&selm=l7gsauINNk42%40exodus.Eng.Sun.COM
>
> It was a bonus question in his contest on the 1992 Tour. It doesn't Google easily because it
> appeared in rec.bicycles before the newsgroup split.
>
> Bob "Geezerhead" Schwartz [email protected]

Dumbass -

I appreciate your clarification.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Nev Shea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> I recall reading somewhere that Merckx missed 1 Giro because the
> organizers
>> paid him not to show up hoping that would improve the odds of an
Italian
>> winning. Or am I all mixed up?
>

> Wasn't that Binda that they paid? So there would be more suspense.

I was right -- at least about being mixed up. So now that you provided the right name I
looked it up.

from: http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/rider_bio.asp?rider_id=7

"Binda could have possibly won more Giro titles, but was paid the prize money he would have won
not ride in 1930 because the organizers were worried that it would kill public interest if he
won again."

NS

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> It really points to a much bigger problems with the way the World cup points are structured.

Why?

>The UCI needs to demephasize the number of points that are given in the TDF.

That would change nothing. UCI points are not a top motivator to win the Tour. After all, the points
are the same for all 3 Grand Tours right down to stage wins. If points were a primary consideration,
then you would see teams fighting to get in to whichever Tour they thought they could gain the most
points from (IOW, the easiest Tours to win would be the first priority).

>Another possibility would be to do away with points altogether and base the World up on
>overall time.

No way. Beside, World Cup and UCI points are separate. Also, you would then have to require everyone
that challenged for the overall to race every event. There is no way anyone would care about the
overall if that was a requirement. It is rare that any racer races all 10 and only recently have the
guys even started to care aboutt he overall. It is the individual race wins that count the most.

The only way to change things (if you do think they need to be changed) would be to have the UCI
change larger registration fees (it would actually be a franchise fee), and roll that in to much
larger prizes for the individual and team World Cup prizes and promotions to make it w worthwhile
objective. They could also include more perks like giving the top 3 WC teams and the team with the
overall winner automatic entry in to any race for the next season (including the GTs). You would
then see a lot more teams trying to tackle to World Cup as a strategy to get in to the Tour de
France (among other things). They could also give more recognition throughout the year to the WC
contenders (again, both for individuals and teams). The main point here is that the UCI would need
to gain a lot more power over the events and the teams and it would take on the character of other
sports that have team franchises.

Or, we could allow cycling to continue along in the decentralized and unstructured way it has in the
past and hope for the best.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Isidor Gunsberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Borg had to make due with an old wooden frame racket.
>

> You mean he _chose_ to use a wooden racquet. Didn't McEnroe also prefer wooden racquets?

I preferred wooden racquets. Carbon are just too light and too fast for my tastes. I miss my old
sledgehammer...

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > It really points to a much bigger problems with the way the World cup points are structured.
>
> Why?
I think that the TDF has unbalanced the overall season. As a result many smaller classics are
suffering. A lot of this is because many of the races are sponsered by smaller companies. It's
possible that ASO Armoury and La Gazetta dello sport acquistions of smaller races could have a
positive impact???
> >The UCI needs to demephasize the number of points that are given in the TDF.
>
> That would change nothing. UCI points are not a top motivator to win the Tour. After all, the
> points are the same for all 3 Grand Tours right down to stage wins. If points were a primary
> consideration, then you would see teams fighting to get in to whichever Tour they thought they
> could gain the most points from (IOW, the easiest Tours to win would be the first priority).

Ok so why not have a team selection based upon a hybrid point system. One could also require a min #
of points for a rider to participate in the TDF. I am not sure how this would work, but one could
have points for participation and bonus points for placing and winning. So a team lets say a team
gets a intial 10 points for participating. Each rider recieves 20 points for participating. The
winner recieves 500 point for winning and 100 points for the top 3 finishers. It's all quite
complicated and the details would have to be worked out so things were fair.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> Damn, that must suck, being right all the time.

No, it's really rather a burden.

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<SNIP>

> They could also include more perks like giving the top 3 WC teams and the team with the overall
> winner automatic entry in to any race for
the
> next season (including the GTs). You would then see a lot more teams
trying
> to tackle to World Cup as a strategy to get in to the Tour de France
(among
> other things).

<SNIP>

The only guaranteed strategy to get your team into the TdF (outside of being a top ten team) is to
have a French sponsor.

-T

> The only guaranteed strategy to get your team into the TdF (outside of being a top ten team) is to
> have a French sponsor.

and a team that sucks......