Merckx frame age?

Michael Hoyt

Guest
How do I date an Eddy Merckx frame? I'm fairly certain that the parts were replaced so that's not
helping me out. It has the same graphics as his hour record bike. Thanks!

[email protected] (Michael Hoyt) writes:

> How do I date an Eddy Merckx frame?

Just ask it nicely. And don't let it catch you riding a titanium frame.

Joe

Merckx sells Ti frames, this one's not dating material anyway. I need something that's larger
than 27.2 <g>.

Seriously though, it has a pink sticker that says Giro d' Italia and a yellow sticker that says Tour
DEE France (as Bob Roll says), both on the down tube. There is only one set of bottle mounts (none
on the seat tube). A sticker says "Hand Made in Belgium" along with the Merckx name on the down
tube. No clues on tubes. It just has a generic Columbus decal.

Any input is appreciated.

Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Michael Hoyt) writes:
>
> > How do I date an Eddy Merckx frame?
>
> Just ask it nicely. And don't let it catch you riding a titanium frame.
>
> Joe

[email protected] (Tom Paterson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Michael Hoyt asked:
>
> >Any input is appreciated.
>
> Except the dating jokes. Or at least the same old dating jokes.
>
> <www.eddymerckx.be>

Is there some European Union law that requires European Web pages to have a lot of Flash garbage
that prevent you from actually getting to the information you want to see?

> My '84 had those (or similar) decals, no pump peg, double WB bosses, Columbus sticker. Later
> 84-85's added pump pegs. Here's a ref for Columbus stickers:
>
> <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bobequus/images/bikepictures/Columbus-tubes.jpg>

At one time Falcon made bikes under the Eddy Merckx name. Was this one of them?

Thanks.

Mine has no pump peg and only one set of bottle bosses. It also has external brazed on ramp cable
guides on the bottom bracket for the derailleur cables. The Columbus sticker just says "Columbus"
along with the rest of their regular logo stuff.