Merckx or C40

moosemorrised

Jan 14, 2004
It's time for a new bike! I ride 100+ miles per week and race triathlons on the weekends (mostly shorter, sprint and olympic distances). I've been riding an Aegis Aero Swelte for the past 4 years - campy chorus, kysyrium wheels - and really like the way it rides although it does flex in the bottom bracket when I'm up out of the saddle. I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 180. I'm tempted by the c40 - except for the price, almost everyone agrees this is one sweet ride! I've also been looking at the Merckx team sc which will be a bit stiffer, but seems to be very fast and responsive and $1500 or more cheaper. Honestly, the price doesn't really matter to me, I ride everyday and don't have a car so I've socked away enough to afford either. What do you guys think? I've read a lot of the posts regarding bike comparisons and know these two are defiantely high end. I am a little concerned the team sc will ride harshly after my carbon aegis, but with a carbon fork and rear stays, it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by moosemorrised
I am a little concerned the team sc will ride harshly after my carbon aegis, but with a carbon fork and rear stays, it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the help!
The chainstays are just CF 'wrapped' and it's nothing but a gimmick.

I am very partial to Colnago's == love the quick handling, stability on descents, and the "look", so I would go for the C-40. I currently have a C-50, and love it.

But you really need to RIDE oen before you make up your mind.

The problem with riding one is finding one to ride. I've only heard of a few places that have c40's built up to ride, and I bet not in the 60cm range.

I have a Merckx team SC, it is the fastest bloody thing ever!! It has so much more than any normal cyclist could ever get out of it. Save your money on the C40 and get the Merckx.
It is not the machine but the motor so save the ca$$h, train hard and hand out a lesson in your next race!

out.

In 6month I can get you a Colnago C40 60cm frameset LX10 with seatpost as new.... don't know if this interest you?

-You can buy a C50 but they are very expensive. Try to find a second-hand C40Bstay or something.

A bike shop I know (In the Netherlands) has 2 C40Bstays for $3500, with Record groepset, FIR wheels, King headset, Era Pro saddle etc. and a Chesini with Record and Hyperon!!!!! wheels for $2800. So I think it is possible to find a C40 or equal for +- $3000-$3500

Originally posted by blip
I have a Merckx team SC, it is the fastest bloody thing ever!! ..............................
It is not the machine but the motor so save the ca$$h,..............
What a bloody contradiction.

Do you know how I can contact them? I'm in the US, but I've had quite a bit of luck with totalcycling.com out of ireland (great prices, bad communication). Does this shop have a website?
Thanks

Have you tried www.maestro-uk.com?They have been dealing in colnagos for years and their service is excellent.Mike usually keeps a fair bit in stock so he may even have your size.He exports a lot to the states so he is very experienced.I bought my c40 through him and have been extremely impressed with him.My C40Hp is here on the website somewhere if you want to look.Think its under "show me your bike " or something like that.

Merckx team sc
I have had 4 colnagos a basso a viner and a landshark
3 years as a pro and a long time 21 years as a cat. 2 and the merckx sc is the finest bike i have ever ridden. I have 3 wins in the last 2 years on it.
the carbon wrapped stays are not a gimmick. Its just that most don't ride it hard enough to appreciate them. The ride is so smooth and it tracks so well. And its great for rough road races and crits.
You will not regret buying one.
Also 3 paris rouibaixs and more wins in the last few years on merckx sc's

great post from one who knows. Latest issue - my LBS has demanded (strong terms, I know) that if I'm going to spend this kind of money to get a seven axiom (custom titanium). It's in the same league as both the merkyx and the C40 and they offer custom fitting (down to what size tubes to use). What do you guys think? I've never heard anyone say anything but "seven's are the best" and I'll know it will fit. Sounds tough to beat