Merckx Premium vs Team SC

achtervolger

Dec 31, 2005
I'm considering picking up either a Merckx Premium or Merckx Team SC framset. Does anyone have experience with both? Anyone have a Premium and can you tell why you bought it, and if you considered the Team SC when purchasing it?

Thanks for any info on either of these bikes.

For reference, I'm 6' 2", 190. I used to race crits a bit, and now ride recreationally. Lots of climbs around my area, I like to ride somewhat agressively, and do the occasional century. Also do the occasional ride in Europe for 10 or so days every few years. Not in a club or a regular hammerfest of any kind.

Is the Team SC and old frame? I thought Merckx stopped making them. The Premium is the new Team. The premium is supposed to be a touch stiffer.

AussieRob said:
Is the Team SC and old frame? I thought Merckx stopped making them. The Premium is the new Team. The premium is supposed to be a touch stiffer.
The Premium is indeed the replacement for the Team SC as I understand it. However, the Team SC has been so highly regarded that it still appeals to me greatly, and there are plenty of them around at dealers in my size. They are also cheaper by about $400, which is a consideration, though not a determining factor. At the end of the day, I want the best one for me.

I don't know if they make them anymore or not, I'm guessing not.

I love the Merckx geometry, as the handling and fit are perfect for me. However, I've never had an aluminum frame (scandium might be a bit different, but it's still an aluminum frame), so more stiffness is not necessarily a good thing, though it's possible that it's a better frame. But I'll wager either is plenty stiff for me.

The upside of the Team SC is that it's possibly more compliant, it's a little cheaper, and it's got a stunningly good reputation as a frame.

The upside of the Premium is that it's a newer and possibly (?) better design, and it's lighter. LIghter I don't care about, I'm on steel now--either is fine. If they're basically the same ride, I'll get the new one just 'cause. If I think the SC will be a better fit for my style, I'll get it and save a few bucks.

Thoughts on the differences anyone? Thanks!