Merida Bikes

Annieb

May 6, 2006
One of my local bike shops sell this brand and I am considering buying a hybrid probably Crossway 8300. It seems to be a great bike with great gears suspension etc. Does anyone have experience of this make? I dont see much mention of them. THe bikes are very light. How heavy are hybrids usually? is weight important.
Bye the way -Hi everyone I am new to the forums.

Hi Anne,

You don't say in your details your location (country).

I am in Aus, we have lots of Merida here, my first bike was a Merida and my GF had one also, I sold mine and hers got stolen. We now both have Felts.

The bike you mention may be a little heavy if you need to lift it on and off a car rack. Also, how tall are you?
http://www.merida.com/s0_global/main_control.php?group0=bikes&group1=cross&bikeId=80
The important thing is that it fits and is not too big for you.

Thanks George, I live in Melbourne. I am5ft 5,that is 165cm.The bike i looked at was 18in and fitted OK I will probably buy the cheaper version though.(similar frame ) the guy in the shop said it weighed about 14kg which is fairly light, the weight of the bikes never seems to appear in the preoduct information Inanother shop there is as Apollo shorline 17in.
I currently have a 20 yo 5 gear bike (bought in UK) its OK but not v efficient for the energy put in and hills are a problem.

Ok, on that. Have a look at the Apollo Marathon, their 16" may fit you better.
http://www.apollobikes.com/apolloproducts/cid/5/parent/0/t/apolloproducts
I find 17" MTBs a little bigish at 5'7" but you may have longer limbs than I.

Try to go for an 8 speed, (24 speed) better range of rear cassettes and a the components are the same price range as 7 speed. Are you going off road? If not, slick tyres in the 26x1.25- 26x1.5 range may be the go also.

I had a peruse of the merida site -it has great pictues!,and will visit the apollo . I have looked at it before though, of course each manufacturer sings the praises of its own bikes.

I am looking at hybrid bikes not mtb. I want something efficient for road and cycle track use but want to be able to go along gravel tracks and unsurfaced too. Thanks for replying I appreciate your comments.

I have a merida bike, a 905 i think it is(could go into garage n have a looksie but still suffering from yesterdays race:rolleyes: ) i bought the frame off ebay and transferred all the gear off my old bike onto this one(cracked last frame which was a raceline)
this frame has carbon forks and carbon seatpost and I am very happy with it. hoping to get myself the new womens bianchi later in the year.

hopefully if it worked, i have attached a (shocking) pic of the bike. its a 54cm and i am about 175cm tall.

Annieb said:
One of my local bike shops sell this brand and I am considering buying a hybrid probably Crossway 8300. It seems to be a great bike with great gears suspension etc. Does anyone have experience of this make? I dont see much mention of them. THe bikes are very light. How heavy are hybrids usually? is weight important.
Bye the way -Hi everyone I am new to the forums.

It seems to me as if the bike shops are telling you to buy a size to big.Your best size should be 14-16". I bought 14- 15 frame which turned out to be to big as I am only 5'. This was on bike shop recommendations.

Getting the right size bike is very important. (much more than what brand it is) Because you are new it will be harder for you to figure sizing out. Take your time and get advice from people you trust and who are not just trying to sell you a bike.

Merida bikes are fine. How good any bike is has more to do with the wheels and other parts that go to making the whole package.

Merida is a huge Asian company that make all the frames for many other "brands" anyway such as Trek, Giant, Bianchi etc.... It's not about the name.

Good Luck Jay.

Thanks for the advice ,perhaps I will look around a little more, however there is not much in the local bike shops.only 2 others have womens hybrids at all , the apollo was ok but 17''. Tomarrow I get to ride the Merdia 18" (the guy is bringing a "trainer' so I can ride it in the shop.)It is similar in size to my old bike .
Cheers ,Ann

Annieb said:
Thanks for the advice ,perhaps I will look around a little more, however there is not much in the local bike shops.only 2 others have womens hybrids at all , the apollo was ok but 17''. Tomarrow I get to ride the Merdia 18" (the guy is bringing a "trainer' so I can ride it in the shop.)It is similar in size to my old bike .
Cheers ,Ann
Please don't do it! Get someone to help you who knows!

I went to another shop and rode 2 bikes one was an apollo altura , this was a 15inch but the saddle had to be raised for me. I also rode a merida 8700, 18" same as the one I was thinking of buying. They were both fantastic ( my bike is 20years old so I have never riden a modern bike. The merida was better though it has smoother gears and the mechamism is so easy you bearly have to move your fingers and do not have to take the hand from the handle bar.
I really liked the merida, .With regard to leg lengh it is is not too big but the arms are just bordering on being too stretched ( small bend in the elbow) So I did not know what to do.
Tonight I called at another shop on the way home form work.I sat on an Elwood cypress 17 inch . This may be a better fit for me,it seemed just right, it is about 15kg and is the 2007 model.($4950.)
Ann

Annieb said:
I went to another shop and rode 2 bikes one was an apollo altura , this was a 15inch but the saddle had to be raised for me. I also rode a merida 8700, 18" same as the one I was thinking of buying. They were both fantastic ( my bike is 20years old so I have never riden a modern bike. The merida was better though it has smoother gears and the mechamism is so easy you bearly have to move your fingers and do not have to take the hand from the handle bar.
I really liked the merida, .With regard to leg lengh it is is not too big but the arms are just bordering on being too stretched ( small bend in the elbow) So I did not know what to do.
Tonight I called at another shop on the way home form work.I sat on an Elwood cypress 17 inch . This may be a better fit for me,it seemed just right, it is about 15kg and is the 2007 model.($4950.)
Ann
It is not seat height that is the issue. It is top tube length. Of course the saddle will have to be raised for you when adjusting fit on a 15 - 16" frame. Don't live to regret it by just buying what they have in stock! Try an a XS 14" Giant Sedona or Upland for fit. Giant's are sized quite big! New stock should be available now!

CORRECTION -the bike I tried last was a 17''Giant cypress it was $495 not $4950 !!

I have decided against the merida as they could not get a smaller frame one in for me and it was on the big side,(I am not going to get any taller after all) the Giant is favorite so far.Thanks for your comments it seems that eveyone agrees fit and comfort and the most important things.

Little Jackie said:
It is not seat height that is the issue. It is top tube length. Of course the saddle will have to be raised for you when adjusting fit on a 15 - 16" frame. Don't live to regret it by just buying what they have in stock! Try an a XS 14" Giant Sedona or Upland for fit. Giant's are sized quite big! New stock should be available now!

TnansksJackie, the merida was beautiful to ride but it was too big, you are right.Out of interest I made some measurments on my old bike it is about 19in with regard to seat hight but much shorter (well 2-3cm) from seat to handle bars compared to the 17 and even 15 inch giants and apollos.
and in the wheel hub to wheel hub measurements .I actually had not appreciated the difference when trying the merida!! Will sit on a few more.
Cheers Ann.

Hi Ann,

I think Jackie has already gone to work.

She had real problems in finding a MTB to fit propery. At 4'11" (on a bad day) her first MTB, a Giant Sedona 14/15" was too high in the front and a bit long across the top tube. She has ridden a Giant Upland (see below) with no front suspension, with the seat right forward or the post turned around she "can" ride it, not a pretty sight.

The bike she fits perfectly is an Apollo Panther, a 12.5" boys bike with 24" wheels. She has semi slicks in 24x1.75 and a 11-28 cassette fitted, it is quite quick. She looks and is comfortable and is in control on the bike.

My suggestion is to keep looking at ladies frames in the 14"-16" range. Take your tape measure with you. Dimension "A" (Apollo) is the important one, 555mm is probably a little long, 520-*540mm may be better.

Apollo Marathon, Shoreline, Altura, Dimension "A": http://www.apollobikes.com/sitebuilder/apolloproducts/files/27/ap_frame_geo_cross.pdf

Giant Upland, *Sedona, Dimension "D": http://www.giantbicycles.net/au/cat...D=popup&popuptype=geometry-image&modelid=9996

Annieb said:
Little Jackie said:

TnansksJackie, the merida was beautiful to ride but it was too big, you are right.Out of interest I made some measurments on my old bike it is about 19in with regard to seat hight but much shorter (well 2-3cm) from seat to handle bars compared to the 17 and even 15 inch giants and apollos.
and in the wheel hub to wheel hub measurements .I actually had not appreciated the difference when trying the merida!! Will sit on a few more.
Cheers Ann.

Excellent posting, Ann! It is the top tube length that is the most important! Stay with the 14-16" as George suggests in previous posts! So many bike shops think that if you can reach the pedals etc that the bike fits, which is why there are a lot of bikes sitting in sheds as people find riding them far from an enjoyable experience.

George has posted some good stuff for bike geometry (last post). See how you go with it.

Once you have bought a bike, see if you can get someone who knows in your local area to help you get it set up for optimum riding.

Possibly whilst looking for a bike, phone further afield once you have determined your correct size to find a bike shop that stocks one. You can get your LBS to order in so that you can buy locally!

gclark8 said:
Hi Ann,

I think Jackie has already gone to work.

She had real problems in finding a MTB to fit propery. At 4'11" (on a bad day) her first MTB, a Giant Sedona 14/15" was too high in the front and a bit long across the top tube. She has ridden a Giant Upland (see below) with no front suspension, with the seat right forward or the post turned around she "can" ride it, not a pretty sight.

The bike she fits perfectly is an Apollo Panther, a 12.5" boys bike with 24" wheels. She has semi slicks in 24x1.75 and a 11-28 cassette fitted, it is quite quick. She looks and is comfortable and is in control on the bike.

My suggestion is to keep looking at ladies frames in the 14"-16" range. Take your tape measure with you. Dimension "A" (Apollo) is the important one, 555mm is probably a little long, 520-*540mm may be better.

Apollo Marathon, Shoreline, Altura, Dimension "A": http://www.apollobikes.com/sitebuilder/apolloproducts/files/27/ap_frame_geo_cross.pdf

Giant Upland, *Sedona, Dimension "D": http://www.giantbicycles.net/au/cat...=popup&p opuptype=geometry-image&modelid=9996

I agree! By getting correct fit I am in control of the bike! (Not the other way round)