Merida Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Topkart, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Topkart

Topkart New Member

Hi all

I am getting back into road cycling after a few years off.
    I walked into my local bike shop and the salesman recomended a
    2007 Merida 905 COM for $1999 which I think is a good price considering bike has full Ultegra components.
    What is Merida like, eg quality, ride etc etc.??
    Is Merida in the same league as the Treks,Giants etc

Thanks in Advance

Tags:

2. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

a couple of steps up from Giant and no that Trek has also gone compact has gotten a leap on them as well. Not a well known brand, but good quality for the price and well worth considering.

3. Sikhandar

Sikhandar New Member

I'd rather buy an used bike... for 1999 $ you could easily get something with Dura-Ace... Of course you'll need time and competences to buy a good bike... maybe you can go to see some used bikes with a friend of yours more expert...

Anyway Merida are quite good, but I'll think double before getting an alu ultegra at 1999...and remember that in 2008 the Ultegra will be outsold for the SL ;-)

4. miday

miday New Member

I'd like to say that Merida were in the sames league ... but having owned one I'd have to say that their frames are not as good as other makers (IMHO). I recently upgraded my training bike from a Merida to a Wilier. World of difference even though they are both alu frames.

5. sogood

sogood New Member

Merida is another one of those major Taiwan brand and is considered to be of a lower tier than Giant ie. Good value bikes. But it's not fair to comment on the ride of their bikes generally as ride can be very specific to the model concerned. You really have to state the model or just take a ride yourself. What one person likes may not be of your preference.