Merlin Bikes

rsteven

Sep 8, 2003
Hi,

Has anyone got a Merlin bike? I am considering buying the Merlin Malt 2 (package but with Hydro brakes).

Can you tell me if this will be a good investment?

Thanks

My buddy an I both bought Merlin Fat beat bikes with XTR 3 yrs ago. No problims at all with the Ti frames. They clean up like new and still are perfect. What a nice ride. We both have had less than perfect luck with the XTR components. We have the old brakes. Several people have said "most comfortable ride ever experienced" After trying it out.

Hi,

Yes i own a Merlin. Bought a Malt 2 about six months ago, well bought a frame and built it myself. MX comp (eta), XT, Mavic...etc. Anyway, the frame was a steal at £175, delivered much quicker than the two weeks it takes to assemble and deliver a whole bike (2 days). Building your own is quicker and may be cheaper, plus 'fun'. Anyway, the frame/bike is a dream to ride, i'm 6 foot and ride the 18". My only the gripe is that the coating/paint (whatever it is) on the aluminium frame is prone to chipping, i've got a lovely scrape on the top tube where the brake lever hit during one of my less proud mtb moments (you're familiar with superman, right?) plus some other choice marks.
The Malt 2 can be built into a wonderful bike, you'll certainly stand out from the specialized/trek crowd. I haven't seen another one at all. I would recommend it, just be sure to get a decent chainstay protector, patches to stop cable outer rubbing the frame and those little rubber rings that go round cables to stop scratching.
Enjoy....

Originally posted by rsteven
Hi,

Has anyone got a Merlin bike? I am considering buying the Merlin Malt 2 (package but with Hydro brakes).

Can you tell me if this will be a good investment?

Thanks

I have a Merlin MTB that I bought in 1991. It still rides great! From time to time I upgrade the components, but the frame itself is great!