Merlin vs. Litespeed vs. Moots

On Jun 23, 9:14 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 7:04 am, "[email protected]"

> I think that the classic is the only thing that lightspeed produces
> that can compete with habaneros, but it is overpriced. I do like some
> of the merlins though.

I've just built up a 2nd hand Classic as a singlespeed and it is
SWEET.

Donga

>> > Moots, Litespeed, Merlin, Seven, Serotta, etc. are probably not
>> > considered side by side with Airborne, Habanero, etc.

>> Explain?

> You actually need an explanation? Wow. Internet bicyclists.
>
> Do people seriously shopping for a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac,
> Jaguar, Volvo, Lincoln, Porsche, Audi consider buying a Chevy, Kia,
> Hyundai, Mazda, Ford, etc.? If you are looking at houses priced at $Z
> dollars, you don't look at houses priced at $ZZZ dollars. If you buy
> your shoes at Wal-Mart, you don't look at Allen Edmond,
> Johnston&Murphy, etc.

I buy for quality first. Price is 'way down the line. And, yes, people
seriously shopping for anything worthwhile look at the quality of it first.

Pat in TX

On Jun 22, 11:13 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> would guess many frame builders with far more knowledge than you would
> argue their older frames have not gone downhill. Does a Richard Sachs
> or JP Weigle or Mooney frame go downhill? I don't think my Waterford
> has gone downhill from me riding it.

Check the paintjob - my 1995 polished Ti frame still passes for new.
Nor do I need to protect it from corrosion, let alone have a "rain"
bike.

donga

> What is an internet bicyclist?
>
> You start with theoretical shoppers looking in a particular price
> range, but you do not explain why they are looking in that price
> range. Is it because the exceptional quality of the product justifies
> its price, or is it just narcissim? Allen Edmond shoes, for example,
> are not that expensive -- less than a pair of Sidis if you buy them on
> sale at Nordstroms. And they last a long time, particularly if you re-
> sole them a lot. (Hey, for me, these are like uniform shoes).
>
> On the other hand, the people looking at Volvos and Jaguars should
> look at Fords because they are about to buy one anyway. Or look at a
> Toyota, Subaru or any number of other cars that are just as solid and
> reliable and much less money and that hold their value (unlike Jags).
> Thousands will be lost the moment a Jag drives out of the dealership.
>
> Buying an uber-expensive bicycle is like buying a Jag instead of a
> Camry or Subaru or some equally (or more) reliable and less expensive
> car. If someone can show me that there is a significant weight
> difference between a $4K Seven and a $2K Litespeed or a $1K Habanero
> -- or some other significant difference (besides status or cachet)
> that justifies the price, then I will stand corrected. Otherwise,
> dropping that kind of dough on a Seven (for example) is just showing
> off. I know that showing-off has been elevated to an art form in our
> current society, but I am one of those people who still finds it
> offensive. -- Jay Beattie.

I proudly stand beside Jay on that last-sentence comment, but then, I
also live in Portland. I have noticed that drivers of 100,000 dollar
cars and trucks do not take kindly to observations about shameful
displays of wealth.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett

On Jun 22, 11:32 am, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

> On the other hand, the people looking at Volvos and Jaguars should
> look at Fords because they are about to buy one anyway. Or look at a
> Toyota, Subaru or any number of other cars that are just as solid and
> reliable and much less money and that hold their value (unlike Jags).
> Thousands will be lost the moment a Jag drives out of the dealership.

"Smells better when new". And, being able to afford the repairs is
part of the braggin'. Come on, JB, get your status sensors in order
here!

> Buying an uber-expensive bicycle is like buying a Jag instead of a
> Camry or Subaru or some equally (or more) reliable and less expensive
> car. If someone can show me that there is a significant weight
> difference between a $4K Seven and a $2K Litespeed or a $1K Habanero
> -- or some other significant difference (besides status or cachet)
> that justifies the price, then I will stand corrected. Otherwise,
> dropping that kind of dough on a Seven (for example) is just showing
> off. I know that showing-off has been elevated to an art form in our
> current society, but I am one of those people who still finds it
> offensive.

I've wondered at the smooth-but-slightly undercut welds present on
some of the 'spensive Ti bikes I've seen. That's a cosmetic second
pass? This old retired, formerly qualified production Mig/Tig sheet
metal welder (not tubing and not "aerospace") wonders at this
practice-- the Emperor needs to hire better welders? I read Peter's
comments on weld quality earlier in the thread; next time I see Mr.
Moots on a ride, I'll get my reading/inspecting glasses out and look
closer.

Well... art form? From the time-honored fancy lugs, dropouts, and
seatstay "clusters", to wiggledy chainstays, barber-pole seat tubes,
three-tube color schemes (and beyond), to oversized, ovalized, diamond
shaped, crimped, otherwise-tortured tubes and stays, and further, to
Newsboy-style curved Ti tubes (a real statement intended, there,
IMHO): artisans like to show off, too <g>.

I saw a true custom Seven seven or eight years ago, when people were
still impressed by Ti, that had tubing shape/size/length "exercises",
plus a non-traditional layout IRT stays and top tube. Not exactly
beautiful to behold, but certainly different (even from a distance),
and presenting, perhaps, the argument that it was built for function
("better bike engineering"), conventional framebuilding "limitations"
having been surpassed. At least, that's what I read into the
presentation <g>.

I don't know how it rode; it was a Record-equipped, low-mileage bike
shop owner's bike that was for sale <g>.

All moot (see above) now, farbon is better and more expensive, and
better. --D-y

Pat wrote:
> I buy for quality first. Price is 'way down the line. And, yes, people
> seriously shopping for anything worthwhile look at the quality of it first.

According to the radio ads we hear, many people look at "What can I get
for 349 per month" first.
drivechicago.com ads : "look for a car based on your monthly payment"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jun 22, 7:14 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 7:04 am, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Explain?

> > You actually need an explanation? Wow. Internet bicyclists.

> > Do people seriously shopping for a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac,
> > Jaguar, Volvo, Lincoln, Porsche, Audi consider buying a Chevy, Kia,
> > Hyundai, Mazda, Ford, etc.? If you are looking at houses priced at $Z
> > dollars, you don't look at houses priced at $ZZZ dollars. If you buy
> > your shoes at Wal-Mart, you don't look at Allen Edmond,
> > Johnston&Murphy, etc.

> Actually, the lower end lightspeed models that may have been priced
> comparably with the habaneros did not seem to offer any advantage. The
> high end lightspeed models offer "suppossed" advantages. The only
> lightspeed model that I like is the classic.
>
> I wonder if you were able to get one of the top lightspeed models for
> the same price as an habanero. If so, I would consider the classic for
> $700. I still wouldn't buy the other models cause I don't like the
> bends.
>
> I think that the classic is the only thing that lightspeed produces
> that can compete with habaneros, but it is overpriced. I do like some
> of the merlins though.
>
> Andres

When Litespeed was refurbishing trade-ins and reselling them on their
pre-owned bikes website, I purchased a 1999 Classic with a LOOK fork
and a Chris King headset for $830. There wasn't a mark on it, and
Litespeed also supplied me with a lifetime warranty on the frame, just
as on a new bike. I have since put about 9,000 mi. on this bike in 2
years, and I think it was the best $830 I've ever spent.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> That's a great name.

When Nick Andrade started Giant USA he came to visit with a great
ground-floor offer. I replied "Suburban mom comes home with bike in
station wagon, neighbor asks "what kind of bike?" "A Giant!" I was of
the opinion that would never fly, so I passed.

I was very wrong.

When Bevel Hogg explained that his new venture "Trek" means 'to be a
little hungry' in Afrikaans I also looked at him like he was nuts.

Henry Ford's neighbors probably felt the name of that Ford boy wouldn't
sell either.
--

On Jun 25, 5:39 am, Mike Krueger <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 7:14 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 22, 7:04 am, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > You actually need an explanation? Wow. Internet bicyclists.

> > > Do people seriously shopping for a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac,
> > > Jaguar, Volvo, Lincoln, Porsche, Audi consider buying a Chevy, Kia,
> > > Hyundai, Mazda, Ford, etc.? If you are looking at houses priced at $Z
> > > dollars, you don't look at houses priced at $ZZZ dollars. If you buy
> > > your shoes at Wal-Mart, you don't look at Allen Edmond,
> > > Johnston&Murphy, etc.

> > Actually, the lower end lightspeed models that may have been priced
> > comparably with the habaneros did not seem to offer any advantage. The
> > high end lightspeed models offer "suppossed" advantages. The only
> > lightspeed model that I like is the classic.

> > I wonder if you were able to get one of the top lightspeed models for
> > the same price as an habanero. If so, I would consider the classic for
> > $700. I still wouldn't buy the other models cause I don't like the
> > bends.

> > I think that the classic is the only thing that lightspeed produces
> > that can compete with habaneros, but it is overpriced. I do like some
> > of the merlins though.

> > Andres

> When Litespeed was refurbishing trade-ins and reselling them on their
> pre-owned bikes website, I purchased a 1999 Classic with a LOOK fork
> and a Chris King headset for $830. There wasn't a mark on it, and
> Litespeed also supplied me with a lifetime warranty on the frame, just
> as on a new bike. I have since put about 9,000 mi. on this bike in 2
> years, and I think it was the best $830 I've ever spent.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, even my Scottish friend bought a bike (Tuscany) through that
business - and he knows a good deal when he sees one!

Donga

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:44:26 -0500, A Muzi wrote:

> When Nick Andrade started Giant USA he came to visit with a great
> ground-floor offer. I replied "Suburban mom comes home with bike in
> station wagon, neighbor asks "what kind of bike?" "A Giant!" I was of
> the opinion that would never fly, so I passed.
>
> I was very wrong.

I think it's a better name for a mountain bike than a road bike, but I've
gotten over it. What about "Felt"? Much worse.