Messenger bike

cheeseburglar

Feb 22, 2013
I see lots of custom messenger bikes out on the Internet, are there any recommend brands? Or should I just get a more decent bike and spray-paint it DIY? Thanks.

i painted a frame once, i won't look like factory made because the paint job should be treated in special ovens, it just wont look as shiny

cheeseburglar said:
I see lots of custom messenger bikes out on the Internet, are there any recommend brands? Or should I just get a more decent bike and spray-paint it DIY? Thanks.
What do you intend to do with your bike? FWIW, spending more money on a name brand fixie might not be justified depending on your needs. I've seen a whole bunch of perfectly good fixies and single speeds made from older frames from which were hung new wheels and cranks. If you're intending on using the bike as a commuter or campus bike and will have the bike locked up outside at times, a new, shiny bike with a factory paint job will scream, "Steal Me!" To be honest, a lot of name brand fixies and single speeds are being sold to people looking for fashion statements.

I'm sorry but I don't have the knowledge, tools, nor money for building my own bike. So I am asking if there're any good quality fixies(pre-made, or custom made)? Suggestions please? Thanks.

cheeseburglar said:
I'm sorry but I don't have the knowledge, tools, nor money for building my own bike. So I am asking if there're any good quality fixies(pre-made, or custom made)? Suggestions please? Thanks.
try ebay, search for track bikes and singlespeed

As alienator suggested, if you are going to be parking the bike on campus or other high crime area, then a lesser bike is a better choice ...

• hopefully, MY agreeing with alienator + the Pope's abdication are not signs of the apocalypse being nigh ...

YOUR budget is your limitation ...

You can pay thousands for a new, "name" brand TRACK bike if that is your preference ...

There ARE new, no-name, Single Speed bikes for under $200 on eBay ... and, many more at a slightly higher price point ... again, you can pay more for a "Track" bike.

Less expensive bikes are MORE ROBUST & probably better suited for doing "tricks" because they will withstand the abuse you are probably planning to inflict on the components ...

• learn how to true the wheels
  • perform other maintenance (adjust & lube as necessary)
  • dry the bike off if it gets wet
  • replace the components as necessary with the components of your choice

Hi,    First, I came across brands like "Pure fix" "state bicycle" "Raleigh" "SE" "Foffa" "vilona" "mercier"... According to your experience, just which type of which brand would you recommend? (there're so many!!)  Second, are handlebars of each bike changeable? Because I see lots of nice bikes with flatbars, yet, I like bullhorns a lot better so was wondering if I could change them. P.S. I don't want no name bikes, thank you. Thank you so much. Thomas

Originally Posted by cheeseburglar .

Hi,

First, I came across brands like "Pure fix" "state bicycle" "Raleigh" "SE" "Foffa" "vilona" "mercier"... According to your experience, just which type of which brand would you recommend? (there're so many!!)
Second, are handlebars of each bike changeable? Because I see lots of nice bikes with flatbars, yet, I like bullhorns a lot better so was wondering if I could change them.

P.S. I don't want no name bikes, thank you.

Thank you so much.

Thomas
The brand really doesn't matter at all; whatever brand your favorite local bike shop (LBS) sells is fine. Look at the features and the fit, the wheels and gearing setup. Suggest you start at a local bike shop, test ride bikes if possible. A decent fixie/single speed doesn't cost a lot, and the shop may even have a used bike for sale. Get it set up the way you want before you buy. Don't plan to change bars or anything else after you buy the bike, as that gets expensive. You can get a cheaper bike online than from your LBS, but you won't get the ability to test ride or even see the bike before you buy, and you won't get any set up or service after the sale is done.

I bought a like-new Fuji Track a few years ago for under $200 from a guy in our local bike club. You might check with a local bike club to see if anyone has a used bike available.

yes handlebars are interchangeable, but within two different sizes mainly, 26mm and 31,8mm, depending on the size of the clamp in your stem, in fact you can change anything you want on a bike, respecting the measures and the functionality of the accessory, for example the chain depends on the rear sprocket size, the brake lever depend on the type of brakes you have, etc i imagine that as a bullhorn you are talking about drop handlebars, road bike like, im not sure if a pure messenger bike uses those,

.... are handlebars of each bike changeable? Because I see lots of nice bikes with flatbars, yet, I like bullhorns a lot better so was wondering if I could change them.
Well, if you know that you want BULLHORN handlebars, then you can start with either a TRACK-type or a FLAT BAR bike ...

Be aware that the top tube length will be different for the two types of bikes ...​

• if you chose a Flat Bar bike as your starting point, then you can use either the brake levers which come with the bike ...
  • some people install a minimalist BMX brake lever for their front brake ... presumably, those are FIXIES for which the brake is only installed to satisfy legal requirements for riding the bike on the street BUT for some it could certainly be a fashion statement
  • use TT brake levers if you want the bike to have a tidy appearance

BTW. If you are concerned about the "name" of the bike's manufacturer then why were you asking about a DIY paint job on the frame?

Again, in case you are planning on curb hopping & other events where the bike's tires will be more than an inch-or-two off the roadway, then you should possibly consider any of the less expensive, possibly no-name bikes because they will probably have a more robust frame.

If you want to spend a lot of money, but not the most possible, then get a PINARELLO Track bike & use that as your starting point.

How about this one? Thanks.

http://steel-vintage.com/shop/bicycles/the-plain-bike-detail
Are YOU in Germany, Europe, [COLOR= #ff0000]elsewhere[/COLOR]?

OR, did you just want to know if you should use that bike as a 'model' which you should try to replicate OR locate locally-or-domestically?

• Also, are you 5'10" to 6'0" tall?

IMO, for 449,00 € ([COLOR= #ff0000]plus, shipping[/COLOR]) anyone can cobble together a SS with a comparable frame & better components.

• FYI, that's roughly $600([COLOR= #006400]US[/COLOR]) + shipping

It begs the question(s) ...

1. [COLOR= #0000ff]WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?[/COLOR]
  2. If you live in Germany-or-Europe, what is it about THAT bike that caught your eye?
  3. How much DIY are you willing to do?

im sorry but it doesn't look nice and it is overpriced,

"The frame & fork have been completely depainted..."

And pre-rusted. Brilliant.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"The frame & fork have been completely depainted..."

And pre-rusted. Brilliant.
And pre-fatigued. Really, on a frame this old, there is no way of knowing the condition. Has the frame or fork been crashed and straightened, how much internal rust, etc, etc. Buying a rebuilt bike like this from a photo would be about like buying a repainted 70's car over the internet. Sure, the pictures look great, but what's under the paint?

If someone wants a real fixie/SS bike, I'd recommend buying one, not trying to convert a road bike. A good used track bike doesn't have to cost a lot.

But...but...but, ya gots ta have that hipster street cred only a 'depainted' UO-8 can give you!