Metabolism Change

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by MaxPrime, Aug 26, 2004.

1. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

How quickly does a person's metabolism change? I started training last week and ever since I can't seem to keep enough food in me - I've only had 3 rides (due to soreness). I eat extremely well and balanced.

Tags:

2. closesupport

closesupport Banned

you can speed up your metab with the use of sea kelp tablets, kelp is a rich source of the trace mineral iodinde which is necessary for the healthy functioning of the thyroid hormones, iodine plays an important role in the bodys metaolism, this is the rate at which the body burns food for energy, and in the maintenance of connective tissues.

each tablet contains iodine from sea kelp

diacalcium phosphate
    (microcrystalline cellulose) kelp powder (source of iodine) anti caking agents (stearic acid, magnessium stearate, silicon dioxide.

Sea Kelp is a rich and dependable source of 60 minerals and elements including iodine, 21 amino acids, and 12 vitamins (including A, C, B12, thiamin, and vitamin E or tocopherol). Because the minerals are in plant tissue they are easily digested and assimilated. Many of the trace minerals contained in Sea Kelp Laminaria are essential for producing enzymes which in turn promote healthy body functions.

Kelp is a mineral rich in minerals and trace minerals particularly iodine, and is beneficial for sensory nerves, membranes surrounding the brain, spinal cord, brain tissue, thyroid function Due to its iodine content, kelp is taken as an ant goitier remedy. Kelp appears to raise the metabolic rate by increasing hormone production by the thyroid gland, but this increase may be limited to poorly functioning thyroids. However kelp is not recommended for those that suffer from hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)

Kelp is reputedly helpful in rheumatic conditions, arteries, nails, circulation, and may be beneficial for obesity, heart disease, respiratory disease, rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, thyroid deficiency, constipation, gastrointestinal disorders, infectious disease, weight reduction, cholesterol levels, increasing stamina, hair loss, goiter, and ulcers.

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Kelp.htm

3. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

Thanks for the reply - but I am really wondering how long it takes for your basal rate to change?

4. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

Kelp/Iodine isn't going to speed up metabolism. It is true that iodine is needed to make the thyroid hormones T3/T4, but most people get more than enough iodine to their thyroid. The reason thyroid hormones decrease during a calorie deficit is because their is a lack of T3 made by the liver. The Thyroid makes mostly T4 cells. Those T4 cells have to go to the liver, have an iodine atom stripped off which converts them into T3. T3 is the potent form of thyroid hormone.

When in a calorie defict, the liver runs out of glycogen which is needed to fuel the T4 to T3 conversion process. Resulting in less T3 being made. So keeping liver glycogen full would be the best way to keep T3 levels high. More iodine could mean more T4 cells if a persons thyroid wasn't getting enough iodine(rare). But this still wouldn't speed up metabolism since its not the amount of T4 the thyroid makes that is the problem, its the amount of T4 that gets converted into T3. A person could have a low thyroid when not in a calorie defict also due to low thyroid stimulating hormone or another problem, but iodine isn't going to help them either.

5. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by change. There is no change in metabolism from cycling other than the increased calories burned during cycling. There is no increase in resting metabolic rate from cycling or any other form of cardio.

Resistance training(weightlifting) will cause an increase in resting metabolic rate since the muscle you build will burn calories all day long even at rest. Each pound of muscle you build burns about 6 extra calories per day.

6. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x "typical" pounds) + (12.7 x inches) - (6.8 x age)

this is how your BMR is calculated! exercise is a totally different equation
    everytime your weight changes so does your BMR everytime your age changes so does your BMR, your 25 so i guess you don't have to worry about age.

although stimulating hormones to be released from piturtry hipathalamus etc can cause this to change. iodine increases the stimulation of all thus stimulating the thyroid gland introducting more thyroxin plus aiding in the repair and recovery of damaged connective tissues, thus making the body work that little more.

so inturn there is no time limit.

doing more does that not make something use that little more energy example as stated repairing damaged connective tissues etc. at rest or recovery

7. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

I wrote "resting metabolic rate" by most standards an increase in protein synthesis/recovery isn't considered part of an increase in resting metabolic rate since the effects are only short term. The increase in metabolic rate from the recovery from cycling would be so small that it wouldn't really be a factor anyway. If a cyclist was doing alot of riding and remaining in a state of recovery then he has more of a chance of decreasing resting metabolic rate due to lowering testosterone, IGF-1, GH, and Leptin (if in a calorie deficit) and increasing cortisol resulting in muscle loss and an overall decreased resting metabolism. It all depends on how much the cyclist is riding and at what intensity. If anything there is more of a chance of a decrease if the cyclist is riding alot. But these are pretty moot points when you factor in the small increase/decrease of metabolism that can occur at rest compared to the increase in metabolism during cycling.

8. closesupport

closesupport Banned

That equation is RMR (Resting metabolic rate) at no point in that equation do i multiply the exercise intensity that a person endures.

Thyroxin (produced by the thyroid gland) is a key BMR-regulator which speeds up the metabolic activity of the body. The more thyroxin produced, the higher the BMR. If too much thyroxin is produced (a condition known as thyrotoxicosis) BMR can actually double. If too little thyroxin is produced (myxoedema) BMR may shrink to 30-40 percent of normal. Like thyroxin, adrenaline also increases the BMR but to a lesser extent.

so it is rare for someone to underproduce thyroxin (underactive thyroid gland)
    erm! explain some fat persons who's body receives not enough calories to sustain, thus dropping the thyroid homones thus storing more calories as fat.
    is that not the reason a person should not go to far under the required calories by to far since Starvation or serious abrupt calorie-reduction can dramatically reduce BMR by up to 30 percent.Restrictive low-calorie weight loss diets may cause your BMR to drop as much as 20% .

if what you state is correct all fat people eat to much food. . (i hate that term), do you know or understand the working functions of the endocrine system. if so demonstarte to me how stimulation on parts of the endocrine system. (works burns calories) anything that works urns calories from generating heat to recovering damaged muscle tissues all symtoms have effect on your BMR as noted weight x age x height are the only recognisable changes to working your BMR or RMR which is the Minimum level of energy required to sustain vital functions (the energy expended by the body at rest to maintain normal body functions) Any increase in energy expenditure due to an increase in cellular activity associated with digestion alone burns calories.
    Back to heat as For every increase of 0.5C in internal temperature of the body, the BMR increases by about 7 percent. The chemical reactions in the body actually occur more quickly at higher temperatures. So a patient with a fever of 42C (about 4C above normal) would have an increase of about 50 percent in BMR.

Temperature outside the body also affects basal metabolic rate. Exposure to cold temperature causes an increase in the BMR, so as to create the extra heat needed to maintain the body's internal temperature. A short exposure to hot temperature has little effect on the body's metabolism as it is compensated mainly by increased heat loss. But prolonged exposure to heat can raise BMR.

The intensity, environment,frequency and duration of any activity all have an effect on metabolism. It is here where we can have the greatest effect on metabolism

9. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

I was told long ago by Dr. Atkins ( I was one of his patients ) that it takes about 30 days for your body to unlearn bad habits and retool itself to whatever your are doing. That's why it's so easy to fall off a diet in the first couple of weeks and undo all the good the diet has done in those first 10 to 15 days. Your body tries to "make up for lost eating" so to speak.

My guess is that your body has been used to a certain exercise/food ratio. Your increase in excercise has caused an equal reaction in your body's reaction to food in order to maintain that ratio. You are in the process of trying to retrain your body to accept a new exercise/food ratio.

Good Luck. It's one of the toughest battles you'll have.

10. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

yes, but calories used for recovery from cycling are going to be pretty insignificant, read the studies.

Most of this post I didn't understand the context of things like " if what you state is correct all fat people eat to much". who is "you"? If this is just a paste from another site then why not just give a link to that site so that we can read the whole thing and understand what the person who actually wrote it was tryin to say.

11. closesupport

closesupport Banned

erm! sorry it ain't from another site not all but some, its a shorter version of the 6 books that i am reading at the momment.

Lance armstrong performance program
    sports and nutrition (second edition anita bean)
    nutrition for sports (Steve wooten)
    Sports injuries
    Vitamin Bible (earl mindell)
    The psychology of sports and health

and yes i do find something to read on the internet if you check my post i do post links to what is relavent. especially if i can't be botherd typing. one book gets abit much so i swap to another same topic but someone elses words and no i ain't fat, i have an interest insports psychology, sports studies, sports nutrition and human biology.

the point being made was BMR changes all the time when energy is used for whatever purpose.

Harris-Benedict Formula

A more accurate way to calculate your daily calorie needs is to determine basal metabolic rate (BMR) using multiple factors, including height, weight, age and gender, then multiply the BMR by an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories). One calculation method is the Harris Benedict formula.

i can't give you a link since it is something i was putting to gether to reword as part of an assignement.

For Men
    BMR = 66 + (6.23 x "typical" pounds) + (12.7 x inches) - (6.8 x age)
    For women
    BMR = 655 + (9.6 X weight in kilos) + (1.8 X height in cm) - (4.7 X age in years).

if you notice really the only factor that is going to change is weight in pounds or kilos or unless you grow in height a little or you age.

these are the factor that affect your bmr, you can speed it up with iodine.
    maybe you have a an iodine defficiency or have had in the past.

Example of BMR
    You are 32 years old for instance
    You are 5 feet 4 inches tall which is equal to (162.5 cm)
    Your weight is 185 pounds equal to (84 kilos)
    Your BMR is 655 + (806) + (291) - (150) = 1602 calories

from these factors alone a metabolic rate is measured, as we stated earlier the metabolic rate or RMR is the calories or energy that is required for the body to maintain normal functions. hormone stimulation (thyroxin being one) increased leves increse metab

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thyroxin

other facters such as tempreture control also have effects on the rate of energy used and other factors for iodine or sea kelp http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/iodine.php

but i can't be bothered now...... go learn

12. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

You don't seem to understand so I will explain it to you.
    Iodine deficiency is so rare that it is almost nonexistent, and iodine will not raise thyroid output unless their is a deficency. So telling someone that kelp will raise their metabolism through increased thyroid output makes no sense.

Something else that you don't seem to understand is that
    just raising thyroxine will have little effect on
    metabolism. Thyroxine(T4) must first have an iodine atom stripped off and converted into triiodothyronine(T3) in order to be effective. Triiodothyronine(T3) is the primary active thyroid hormone that controls metabolism and not thyroxine. So just raising thyroxine without increasing triiolothyronine will not increase metabolism to any real degree. Someone who goes on a diet and experiences low thyroid will have low thyroid due to euthyroid stress syndrone(ESS). ESS means their is normal thyroxine output by the thyroid gland but the thyroxine isn't converting into triiodothyronine(T3) in the liver. Even if you were to raise thyroxine output from the thyroid gland in someone with ESS it wouldn't raise metabolism. It's a lack of thyroxine converting into triiodothyronine that is the problem, not a lack of thyroxine.

It looks like you are the one that needs to learn something.

13. zaskar

zaskar New Member

14. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i understand the point that your making! aout the T3 T4 just i its long winded to get into, i proably could explain myself better, but here you come to whatever conclusion you want, i usually ride somewhere between 20-35mph this is difficult for me at the top end. 39x13 but easier 53x13 on my tri bike

tryed and tested to work, or rather it works for me. i have 1 sea kelp tablet per day, assists in energy production. not really noticable but its there, saturdays i have chineese with crispy seaweed, Take what you like from that, okey 20-35mph is a lot easier to reach and maintain the following day. within 12hrs of digestion.

i put it down to the iodine content in the sea weed, thats the only change that i have in my diet that gives this effect, always...

so if your training tommorrow, nip out to your chineese later, 1 crispy seaweed this will be kelp, natural source nothing else added and see if i am wrong about what i said.

15. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

i heard that having something very spicy and hot - chilli pepper/jalapeno ect,

1/2 hour before eating speeds up the metabolism and digests the food better.