METEC RR Thur 04-Mar-04

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    I tried another break at METEC last Thursday.. Around the
    18min mark of the C grade 45min+3 laps race. I didn't get
    very far this time before I ran out of steam and the bunch
    caught me. Well most of the bunch. I seemed to have caused
    poor Jason to be dropped off the back. Not surprising
    really, as he was the rider to just complete a big turn..

    This left it open for Rick to attack. He went away solo and
    was soon after joined by his accomplice in break aways...
    his... Dad?

    I didn't bother to chase either of them and no one else
    seemed too bothered either. I thought the bunch could catch
    them easily...

    How wrong I was.

    The bunch got busy and we chased them, reducing the gap
    to 13 seconds, but then it started increasing.. "nooo!"
    The bunch was getting tired and the gap was out to 20
    seconds. "Noo!"

    The bunch faded out with none of the others able to chase so
    I ended up dropping them, having to chase the "family"
    breakaway alone.

    With little more than the final 3 laps to go, the break and
    myself lapped the last of the "energy deficient" riders. It
    was not looking good for me though. I could see the gap to
    2nd place remaining contant as the three of us crossed over
    - father and son powering down the finishing straight and me
    struggling towards the final sweeper - trying to make up
    'anything' on them.

    The gap wasn't going to shrink below 20 seconds and I
    watched the final sprint to decide 1st and 2nd, before I
    sprinted against some 'imaginary' riders to claim 3rd.

    The duo off the front must have worked well together until
    Rick was just edged out in the sprint, according to finish
    line marshall David.

    Anyway, serves me right for trying to break just after a
    buddy had done a big turn.. Sorry man!! Pleeeease
    forgive me! ;-)

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Nice report.

    What was the turnout like last week?

    I'm going to try to make it there on Thursday. Will probably have to leave work a little earlier than usual.

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nice report.
    >
    > What was the turnout like last week?

    Different. About 7/8 riders again but they all seemed to be
    different. Rick and I were there but the rest seemed to be
    non-regulars. Some of the regulars were missing too (Gavin
    and Grant?).

    > I'm going to try to make it there on Thursday. Will
    > probably have to leave work a little earlier than usual.

    The only way I can make the Blackburn training and
    racing and the Croydon ride, is to leave work early. Is
    it THAT bad? :-D

    hippy

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    35.2kph average speed.

    hippy

  5. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Will be heading out there tonight. Don't start the race without me!

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    So, how'd you go Jazmo?

    (I personally blame you for inspiring me to start this crit caper...)