Meters

Guy

Guest
People that are touchy about the current meters should go back to trying to read the old color
strips. Even my first meter required me to wipe the strip and insert it to read at a set time. If I
remember it was quite expensive. I did use a lab colorimeter but it was not that great.

I think we live in "hog heaven" with the current meters. I hope Mini med's new effort works out. A
device like it about 20 years ago would have saved me a lot of misery. I probably will do without
some things to try it.

I saw criticism of the first devices. I appreciated them from the beginning. Like removing a
blindfold. Maybe not perfect vision but better than none.

I never boiled the solutions and that routine but I think some posters have been there.

Put your effort in learning to use the meter and it's limitations. I am very glad we have them. Guy

Guy wrote:
> People that are touchy about the current meters should go back to trying to read the old
> color strips.

Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if the diet Coke I ordered was
realy diet.
--
http://homepage.mac.com/mkatzman/

"Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Guy wrote:
> > People that are touchy about the current meters should go back to trying to read the old color
> > strips.
>
> Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if the diet Coke I ordered was
> realy diet.
> --

You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And glass
syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g>

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988

In article <[email protected]>, George
Eberhardt <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Guy wrote:
> > > People that are touchy about the current meters should go back to trying to read the old color
> > > strips.
> >
> > Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if the diet Coke I ordered was
> > realy diet.
> > --
>

> You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And
> glass syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g>

OK, you force me.... 1956. Benedict's solution boiled on the stove.

And I thought I had it bad in 1982!!! My first glucometer was huge, and required rinsing and
blotting the strips. I was lucky that at least that model came out about the same time as I was
diagnosed. I was also lucky because I only had to drink Tab for a couple of weeks before Diet Coke
came out. I also never had to deal with glass syringes or sharpening my own needles. (yeah)

Steph

"Ray Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:130220041116281667%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, George Eberhardt
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if
the
> > > diet Coke I ordered was realy diet.
> > > --
> >

> > You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And
> > glass syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g>
>

> OK, you force me.... 1956. Benedict's solution boiled on the stove.

and I used to cut bgChemstrips into 3rds to maximize the number of readings I'd get from a vial of
strips (read by eye, and incorrectly I might add!) Once I got a meter after years of interpreting
strips by eye, I found out I was MUCH higher than I thought. No wonder my A1c's were atrocious.

dave

George Eberhardt wrote:

> "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Guy wrote:
>>
>>>People that are touchy about the current meters should go back to trying to read the old color
>>>strips.
>>
>>Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if the diet Coke I ordered was
>>realy diet.
>>--
>

> You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And
> glass syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g

Thanks for the oldie info. The meters are great when compared with the old days. Now if we get a
recording meter to see what is really happening. Now it is up to us until some breakthru occurs. I
have seen the five year story for a long time. Guy .

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:52:00 -0600, "Stephanie Kolban" <[email protected]> wrote:

>And I thought I had it bad in 1982!!! My first glucometer was huge, and required rinsing and
>blotting the strips. I was lucky that at least that model came out about the same time as I was
>diagnosed. I was also lucky because I only had to drink Tab for a couple of weeks before Diet Coke
>came out. I also never had to deal with glass syringes or sharpening my own needles. (yeah)
>
>Steph
>
>"Ray Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:130220041116281667%[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, George Eberhardt
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

>the
>> >

>> > You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And
>> > glass syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g>
>>

>> OK, you force me.... 1956. Benedict's solution boiled on the stove.

"Ray Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:130220041116281667%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, George Eberhardt
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Marshall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Or Test Strips. Remember Test Strips? I used to use them to check if
the
> > > diet Coke I ordered was realy diet.
> > > --
> >

> > You young whippersnappers! I started off on the Ames urine test tablets with a test tube! And
> > glass syringes with re sharpenable needles! You ain't got nothing on me <g>
>

> OK, you force me.... 1956. Benedict's solution boiled on the stove.

I started in 72, so you have 16 extra years on me! Don't know how you did it, but nice to
hear from you.

And they call them the 'Good Old Days' <g>

--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988