Methionine increases heart disease risk

Juhana Harju

Guest
High dietary methionine increases the risk of heart disease according to a
Finnish study. Meat is high in methionine, an amino acid.

Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2006 Mar;16(2):113-20. Epub 2005 Nov 2.

High dietary methionine intake increases the risk of acute coronary events
in middle-aged men.

Virtanen JK, Voutilainen S, Rissanen TH, Happonen P, Mursu J, Laukkanen JA,
Poulsen H, Lakka TA, Salonen JT.

Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627,
70211 Kuopio, Finland.

BACKGROUND AND AIM: Homocysteine, a methionine metabolite, is suggested to
be a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (CVD). To date, the effects of
dietary intake of methionine, the key amino acid in homocysteine metabolism,
on CVD have not been studied. Our aim was to examine the effects of dietary
methionine intake on the risk of acute coronary events. METHODS AND RESULTS:
We examined the effects of dietary methionine intake, assessed with 4-d food
record, on acute coronary events in a prospective cohort study consisting of
1981 coronary disease free men from eastern Finland, aged 42-60years at
baseline in 1984-89, in the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor
(KIHD) Study. During an average follow-up time of 14.0years, 292 subjects
experienced an acute coronary event. In a Cox proportional hazards model
adjusting for age, examination years, BMI, urinary nicotine metabolites and
protein intake (excluding methionine) the relative risks of acute coronary
event in the three highest quarters of dietary methionine intake were 1.31
(95% CI: 0.92, 1.86), 1.31 (95% CI: 0.88, 1.96) and 2.08 (95% CI: 1.31,
3.29) as compared with the lowest quarter. Further adjustments did not
change the results. However, opposite association was observed with total
protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk. CONCLUSIONS: The main
finding of this study is that long-term, moderately high dietary methionine
intake may increase the risk of acute coronary events in middle-aged Finnish
men free of prior CHD. More prospective research is needed to confirm the
role of dietary methionine in the development of CVD, and whether its
effects are independent of homocysteine. PMID: 16487911

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16487911&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

--
Juhana

Impotence can be caused by chronic diseases of the lungs kidneys,
liver,heart, nerves and arteries. Endocrine system disorders like
diabetes may also lead to ED problems. Adequate blood from to the penis
can be hampered due to the accumulation of deposits (plaques) in the
arteries causing ED. Low levels of the hormone testosterone (male
hypogonadism) in some men may also lead to ED.

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>However, opposite association was observed with total
>protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.

So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email protected]

Jim Chinnis wrote:
: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
:
:: However, opposite association was observed with total
:: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
:
: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.

I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when eating
meat, but I have not seen the full study.

--
Juhana

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:54:20 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on
sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :

> Jim Chinnis wrote:
>: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
>:
>:: However, opposite association was observed with total
>:: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
>:
>: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
>
> I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when eating
> meat, but I have not seen the full study.

horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g
farmed trout fillets 4.89g
grapes 4.60g
beefsteak 2.90g

X'Posted to: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition

Juhana Harju wrote:
> High dietary methionine increases the risk of heart disease according to a
> Finnish study. Meat is high in methionine, an amino acid.

Well, there it is!

The next break through made by Mad Max and TC 'The Complainer' will be
that free range beef, or perhaps Buffalo, is low in methionine. :(

Just thought that you guys might not want to wait, to hear it from Mad
Max.

Enrico C wrote:
: On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:54:20 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
: <news:[email protected]> on
: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :
:: Jim Chinnis wrote:
::: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
:::
:::: However, opposite association was observed with total
:::: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
:::
::: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
::
:: I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when
:: eating meat, but I have not seen the full study.
:
: horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g
: farmed trout fillets 4.89g

Where did you get these figures? These are not correct. According to
NutritionData the highest value of methionine is _dried_ Atlantic cod, which
contains 1.86 g methionine/ 100g
(http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-015084000000000000000-w.html)

Some fish is high in methionine, but fish also contains some healthy
substances like long chain omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and selenium
which outweigh the harmful effect of high methionine, IMHO.

: grapes 4.60g

That is not a correct figure either. Grapes contain about 16-21 mg
methionine/ 100 g (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Ux.html)
: ...
: beefsteak 2.90g

--
Juhana

In article <[email protected]>,
"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Enrico C wrote:
> : On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:54:20 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
> : <news:[email protected]> on
> : sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :
> :: Jim Chinnis wrote:
> ::: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
> :::
> :::: However, opposite association was observed with total
> :::: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
> :::
> ::: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
> ::
> :: I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when
> :: eating meat, but I have not seen the full study.
> :
> : horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g
> : farmed trout fillets 4.89g
>
> Where did you get these figures? These are not correct. According to
> NutritionData the highest value of methionine is _dried_ Atlantic cod, which
> contains 1.86 g methionine/ 100g
> (http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-015084000000000000000-w.html)
>
> Some fish is high in methionine, but fish also contains some healthy
> substances like long chain omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and selenium
> which outweigh the harmful effect of high methionine, IMHO.
>
> : grapes 4.60g
>
> That is not a correct figure either. Grapes contain about 16-21 mg
> methionine/ 100 g (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Ux.html)
> : ...
> : beefsteak 2.90g

I'd hazard a guess that the act of eating is somewhat hazardous. Some
foods like celery are innocuous yet we need more. So in the wisdom of
our bodies we can eat all sorts of things and somehow take what we need
and excrete the rest. Small items that are studied while perhaps true
may not look at relationship aspects. Perhaps the ability to excrete
wisely is diminished in time.
I do not know but I try to eat smarter now than 40 years ago, but
this knowledge is tainted by commercial folks trying to sell. Years ago
I trusted my cats on what breads were the most desirable.

Bill ..now where is that Japanese blow fish ;))

Bill

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:04:52 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on
sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :

> Enrico C wrote:
>: On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:54:20 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
>: <news:[email protected]> on
>: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :
>:: Jim Chinnis wrote:
>::: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
>:::
>:::: However, opposite association was observed with total
>:::: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
>:::
>::: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
>::
>:: I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when
>:: eating meat, but I have not seen the full study.
>:
>: horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g

Correction... That should read....

horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g *protein*

It is the ratio of methionine on total protein in a given food.

I think the methionine / total protein balance is meaningful, as
methionine is the bad guy, but total protein is the good guy... :)

> Where did you get these figures?

From the INRAN (Italian Institute for Food and Nutrition Research)
data base

> These are not correct. According to
> NutritionData the highest value of methionine is _dried_ Atlantic cod, which
> contains 1.86 g methionine/ 100g
> (http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-015084000000000000000-w.html)

1.86 *mg* :)

> Some fish is high in methionine,

Some cheese too, and even pine nuts (731 mg /100 g according to
Inran).

> but fish also contains some healthy
> substances like long chain omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and selenium
> which outweigh the harmful effect of high methionine, IMHO.
>
>: grapes 4.60g
>
> That is not a correct figure either. Grapes contain about 16-21 mg
> methionine/ 100 g (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Ux.html)

You are right again, I didn't report that correctly... it's methionine
on total protein.

>: beefsteak 2.90g

X'Posted to: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition

--
Enrico C

* cut the ending "cut-togli.invalid" string when replying by email *

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim Chinnis wrote:
>: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
>:
>:: However, opposite association was observed with total
>:: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
>:
>: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
>
>I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when eating
>meat, but I have not seen the full study.

I'm trying to get a copy. But I guess from the abstract one would conclude
that eating foods with high ratios of protein to methionine is good. I guess
that means more fruits and veggies and legumes and less meat, fish, and
dairy. Maybe this will turn out to be a killer for the low-carb diet... This
would create a challenge for me, since it's easier to keep weight off by
watching carbs than by any other route I've tried.
--

Jim Chinnis wrote:
> "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Jim Chinnis wrote:
> >: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
> >:
> >:: However, opposite association was observed with total
> >:: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
> >:
> >: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
> >
> >I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when eating
> >meat, but I have not seen the full study.

> I'm trying to get a copy. But I guess from the abstract one would conclude
> that eating foods with high ratios of protein to methionine is good. I guess
> that means more fruits and veggies and legumes and less meat, fish, and
> dairy. Maybe this will turn out to be a killer for the low-carb diet... This
> would create a challenge for me, since it's easier to keep weight off by
> watching carbs than by any other route I've tried.

It is wiser to watch how much you are eating rather than watching
carbs.

This is "easier" once you have befriended your healthy appetite (aka
hunger) which increases with a nutritious varied diet that includes
carbs.

Will be available to "glow" and chat about this and other things like
cardiology, diabetes, Bird Flu, the 2006 global earthquake advisory,
cooking and nutrition that interest those following this thread here
during the next on-line chat (03/16/06) from 6 to 7 pm EST:

http://tinyurl.com/8w7uq

For those who are put off by the signature, my advance apologies for
how the LORD has reshaped me:

http://tinyurl.com/7mcuo

Prayerfully in Christ's love,

Andrew
http://tinyurl.com/rgsp8

Jim Chinnis wrote:
: "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
:
:: Jim Chinnis wrote:
::: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
:::
:::: However, opposite association was observed with total
:::: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
:::
::: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
::
:: I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when
:: eating meat, but I have not seen the full study.
:
: I'm trying to get a copy.

Please inform us more if you get one.

: But I guess from the abstract one would
: conclude that eating foods with high ratios of protein to methionine
: is good. I guess that means more fruits and veggies and legumes and
: less meat, fish, and dairy. Maybe this will turn out to be a killer
: for the low-carb diet... This would create a challenge for me, since
: it's easier to keep weight off by watching carbs than by any other
: route I've tried.

That is actually in line what I have been suggesting for people with insulin
resistance and abdominal fat. I have been saying that for them it would be a
good idea to limit carbs within the context of Mediterranean diet. That
means consuming less red meat, but more legumes. I also think that EPA and
DHA and other beneficial substances in fish outweigh the negative effect of
high methionine in fish. So fish and especially fatty fish can be eaten.
Actually the recent dietary recommendations of the Joslin diabetes center
end up recommending this kind of diet also, although the word Mediterranean
is not mentioned.

--
Juhana

:: Enrico C wrote:
::: On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:54:20 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
::: <news:[email protected]> on
::: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :
:::: Jim Chinnis wrote:
::::: Juhana Harju wrote in part:
:::::
:::::: However, opposite association was observed with total
:::::: protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk.
:::::
::::: So...I wonder which effect is larger when eating meat.
::::
:::: I got the impression that the methionine effect is stronger in when
:::: eating meat, but I have not seen the full study.
:::
::: horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g
:
: Correction... That should read....
:
: horse-mackerel 4.90g methionine /100g *protein*
:
: It is the ratio of methionine on total protein in a given food.

OK. *Now* I understand. :)

: I think the methionine / total protein balance is meaningful, as
: methionine is the bad guy, but total protein is the good guy... :)

That makes sense. On the other hand, one should consider other bad and good
guys as well, as in the case of fish which contains EPA and DHA.

:: Where did you get these figures?
:
: From the INRAN (Italian Institute for Food and Nutrition Research)
: data base
:
:: These are not correct. According to
:: NutritionData the highest value of methionine is _dried_ Atlantic
:: cod, which contains 1.86 g methionine/ 100g
:: (http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-015084000000000000000-w.html)
:
: 1.86 *mg* :)

No. Look at the link I gave to you. It says 1859 mg which equates 1.86 g.
;-)

:: Some fish is high in methionine,
:
: Some cheese too, and even pine nuts (731 mg /100 g according to
: Inran).
:
:: but fish also contains some healthy
:: substances like long chain omega-3 fatty acids, phospholipids and
:: selenium which outweigh the harmful effect of high methionine, IMHO.
::
::: grapes 4.60g
::
:: That is not a correct figure either. Grapes contain about 16-21 mg
:: methionine/ 100 g
:: (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Ux.html)
:
: You are right again, I didn't report that correctly... it's methionine
: on total protein.

OK.

::: beefsteak 2.90g

--
Juhana

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:09:50 +0200, Juhana Harju wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on
sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :

>: 1.86 *mg* :)
>
> No. Look at the link I gave to you. It says 1859 mg which equates 1.86 g.
> ;-)

Righto! :)

X'Posted to: sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 03:14:09 GMT, Jim Chinnis wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on
sci.med.cardiology,sci.med.nutrition :

> I'm trying to get a copy. But I guess from the abstract one would conclude
> that eating foods with high ratios of protein to methionine is good. I guess
> that means more fruits

Depends.
Grapes have a very high methionine/total protein ratio.
4.90g methionine /100g protein

> and veggies and legumes and less meat,

Depends.
Venison meat has only 1.84g methionine /100g protein.

> fish,

Depends.
Fresh anchovies are as low as 2.08.

> and dairy.

Depends.
Ewe's milk ricotta has 2.13.

> Maybe this will turn out to be a killer for the low-carb diet...

I still trust my grandfather's words more than anything.
"Eat a bit of everything".

> This
> would create a challenge for me, since it's easier to keep weight off by
> watching carbs than by any other route I've tried.

It's easy to overeat carbs. To avoid that risk, choose your sources of
carbohydrate among the more satiating ones, usually those rich in
fiber.

Enrico C <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>I still trust my grandfather's words more than anything.
>"Eat a bit of everything".

"Everything" depends upon what is available to you that seems to be food.
"Everything" is changing all the time.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> High dietary methionine increases the risk of heart disease according to a
> Finnish study. Meat is high in methionine, an amino acid.

Just wanted to remind everybody that Homocysteine levels should be collected
under fasting conditions to minimize dietary methionine levels.

Homocysteine levels after a standard methionine loading dose can also be
undertaken.

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> High dietary methionine increases the risk of heart disease according to a
> Finnish study. Meat is high in methionine, an amino acid.

> Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2006 Mar;16(2):113-20. Epub 2005 Nov 2.
>
> High dietary methionine intake increases the risk of acute coronary events
> in middle-aged men.
>
> Virtanen JK, Voutilainen S, Rissanen TH, Happonen P, Mursu J, Laukkanen
> JA,
> Poulsen H, Lakka TA, Salonen JT.
>
> Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627,
> 70211 Kuopio, Finland.
>
> BACKGROUND AND AIM: Homocysteine, a methionine metabolite, is suggested to
> be a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (CVD). To date, the effects
> of
> dietary intake of methionine, the key amino acid in homocysteine
> metabolism,
> on CVD have not been studied. Our aim was to examine the effects of
> dietary
> methionine intake on the risk of acute coronary events. METHODS AND
> RESULTS:
> We examined the effects of dietary methionine intake, assessed with 4-d
> food
> record, on acute coronary events in a prospective cohort study consisting
> of
> 1981 coronary disease free men from eastern Finland, aged 42-60years at
> baseline in 1984-89, in the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor
> (KIHD) Study. During an average follow-up time of 14.0years, 292 subjects
> experienced an acute coronary event. In a Cox proportional hazards model
> adjusting for age, examination years, BMI, urinary nicotine metabolites
> and
> protein intake (excluding methionine) the relative risks of acute coronary
> event in the three highest quarters of dietary methionine intake were 1.31
> (95% CI: 0.92, 1.86), 1.31 (95% CI: 0.88, 1.96) and 2.08 (95% CI: 1.31,
> 3.29) as compared with the lowest quarter. Further adjustments did not
> change the results. However, opposite association was observed with total
> protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk. CONCLUSIONS: The main
> finding of this study is that long-term, moderately high dietary
> methionine
> intake may increase the risk of acute coronary events in middle-aged
> Finnish
> men free of prior CHD. More prospective research is needed to confirm the
> role of dietary methionine in the development of CVD, and whether its
> effects are independent of homocysteine. PMID: 16487911
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16487911&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

Don't worry about serum homocysteine levels. Earlier in the week there was
another report about 2 homocysteine research studies to be published in NEJM
on March 16.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060312/hl_hsn/folicacidsupplementswontlowerheartattackrisk
An important conclusion that is *not* reported about these NEJM studies is
that the latest scientific evidence shows homocysteine not to be a cause of
cardiovascular disease; it can simply be a marker of it during a diet that
does not include heavy vitamin B supplementation. Also, moderate coffee
consumption (due to both caffeine and chlorogenic acid) can increase
homocysteine level without causing cardiovascular disease.

IOW, high homocysteine level can be an effect of either moderately high
consumption of coffee, and/or red meat. Or it could be an effect of
cardiovascular disease, but not the cause of that. Moreover, when
supplementing with heavy doses of B vitamins, that effect disappears. Until
the studies that I've cited above, it had been presumed that high
homocysteine translated to increased cardiovascular risk, but now that idea
has been dispelled.

"Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> High dietary methionine increases the risk of heart disease according to a
> Finnish study. Meat is high in methionine, an amino acid.

> Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2006 Mar;16(2):113-20. Epub 2005 Nov 2.
>
> High dietary methionine intake increases the risk of acute coronary events
> in middle-aged men.
>
> Virtanen JK, Voutilainen S, Rissanen TH, Happonen P, Mursu J, Laukkanen
> JA,
> Poulsen H, Lakka TA, Salonen JT.
>
> Research Institute of Public Health, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627,
> 70211 Kuopio, Finland.
>
> BACKGROUND AND AIM: Homocysteine, a methionine metabolite, is suggested to
> be a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (CVD). To date, the effects
> of
> dietary intake of methionine, the key amino acid in homocysteine
> metabolism,
> on CVD have not been studied. Our aim was to examine the effects of
> dietary
> methionine intake on the risk of acute coronary events. METHODS AND
> RESULTS:
> We examined the effects of dietary methionine intake, assessed with 4-d
> food
> record, on acute coronary events in a prospective cohort study consisting
> of
> 1981 coronary disease free men from eastern Finland, aged 42-60years at
> baseline in 1984-89, in the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor
> (KIHD) Study. During an average follow-up time of 14.0years, 292 subjects
> experienced an acute coronary event. In a Cox proportional hazards model
> adjusting for age, examination years, BMI, urinary nicotine metabolites
> and
> protein intake (excluding methionine) the relative risks of acute coronary
> event in the three highest quarters of dietary methionine intake were 1.31
> (95% CI: 0.92, 1.86), 1.31 (95% CI: 0.88, 1.96) and 2.08 (95% CI: 1.31,
> 3.29) as compared with the lowest quarter. Further adjustments did not
> change the results. However, opposite association was observed with total
> protein intake, which tended to decrease the risk. CONCLUSIONS: The main
> finding of this study is that long-term, moderately high dietary
> methionine
> intake may increase the risk of acute coronary events in middle-aged
> Finnish
> men free of prior CHD. More prospective research is needed to confirm the
> role of dietary methionine in the development of CVD, and whether its
> effects are independent of homocysteine. PMID: 16487911
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=16487911&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum
>
> --
> Juhana

Very, very weak. I'll continue to consume meat to my heart's content.