Methionine increases heart disease risk

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Juhana Harju, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:20:40 +0300, "Juhana Harju"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >lysine, as far as I know. But even that is provided sufficiently by a
    >balanced vegetarian diet. (I am not a vegetarian.)

    Only if you eat the vegetables raw. Lysine is damaged during heating.

  2. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

    : <[email protected]> wrote:
    :
    :: lysine, as far as I know. But even that is provided sufficiently by a
    :: balanced vegetarian diet. (I am not a vegetarian.)
    :
    : Only if you eat the vegetables raw. Lysine is damaged during heating.

    Meat is heated also in cooking.

    --
    Juhana

  3. Ron Peterson

    Ron Peterson Guest

    Alf Christophersen wrote:

    > Only if you eat the vegetables raw. Lysine is damaged during heating.

    At what temperature is the lysine damaged?

    --
    Ron

  4. On 28 Mar 2006 12:43:59 -0800, "Ron Peterson" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >At what temperature is the lysine damaged?

    At about 70-80 deg C if I remember correctly. Most problem are with
    baby food.

  5. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

  6. On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:05:14 +0300, "Juhana Harju"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Studies say that lysine is somewhat degraded by heat, not destroyed
    >completely.

    Depends on how much sugar (primary free glucose or free fructose)
    there are around to react with the NH3 group on the side chain forming
    adducts. (glycation products) It is only the keto-form of reducing
    sugars that may damage the lysine and other amino acids with a NH3
    group in the side chain.

    (The reaction also occure at body temperature and is responsible for
    lot of damages in body when glucose concentration goes up. Fructose is
    estimated to be about 10 times more effective :-(

    There might also be other degradation processes around with lysine,
    but the aboce mentioned mechanism is the one I know best.

    (PS. Free taurine prevent the side group from reacting)