Methods to increase peak power

Billsworld

Sep 6, 2005
Since everyone that is interested in sprinting is over invading the SE threads, I thought I would ask the experienced trackies and or fast crit guys or coaches if they can share any methods of increasing max power , top speed, or anything benificial to going real fast on a bicycle. This includes methods that worked in the past . Discussions about lifting are allowed .

Billsworld said:
Since everyone that is interested in sprinting is over invading the SE threads, I thought I would ask the experienced trackies and or fast crit guys or coaches if they can share any methods of increasing max power , top speed, or anything benificial to going real fast on a bicycle. This includes methods that worked in the past . Discussions about lifting are allowed .
Use a smaller gear in your road test to increase peak power. :)

Woofer said:
Use a smaller gear in your road test to increase peak power. :)
Looking for performance tips ...... and to get away from those skinny little roadies for a while:D

I see somebody has the sprinting addiction! haha

I'm completely focused on sprints again. For a few weeks I was doing endurance, but I can't not focus on sprinting.

I have a feeling I will be getting another powertap by summer. It gives you that extra bit of motivation to get the watts up.

Let me know how the training is going and if got any more questions. GL

I am now starting a hypertrophy phase of lifting. I have read many articles on t-nation.com and come across the approach of lifting more frequently, but with slightly less total stress in each workout.
I find that if I were to do say, 5x10 of 1 leg squats, my muscles would be trashed and completely useless for about 5 days.
But if I cut it down to around 2x10,(which is still enough to induce some soreness), I can recover from that much quicker. I would use this protocol 3 times a week.

Basically, is what i am getting at, is: I think there is a point where addition stress(more sets) will not result in a greater stimulus for growth. the goal would be to do the least amount of total work that results in a hypertrophy inducing stimulus. This way, you could eventually work up to working the muscle every day, and never having that crippling soreness, all the while achieving the most hypertrophy.

Chad Waterbury of t-nation.com wrote the article on this.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=673054&pageNo=0

I am going to experiment with this method because I can not do the traditional method of lifting to fatigue, it leaves me incredibly sore for days.

The reason I want to specifically build more muscle is because I know in the long term, I need to if I want to reach my peak in sprinting. I'm just too skinny right now.

velomanct said:
I am now starting a hypertrophy phase of lifting. I have read many articles on t-nation.com and come across the approach of lifting more frequently, but with slightly less total stress in each workout.
I find that if I were to do say, 5x10 of 1 leg squats, my muscles would be trashed and completely useless for about 5 days.
But if I cut it down to around 2x10,(which is still enough to induce some soreness), I can recover from that much quicker. I would use this protocol 3 times a week.

Basically, is what i am getting at, is: I think there is a point where addition stress(more sets) will not result in a greater stimulus for growth. the goal would be to do the least amount of total work that results in a hypertrophy inducing stimulus. This way, you could eventually work up to working the muscle every day, and never having that crippling soreness, all the while achieving the most hypertrophy.

Chad Waterbury of t-nation.com wrote the article on this.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=673054&pageNo=0

I am going to experiment with this method because I can not do the traditional method of lifting to fatigue, it leaves me incredibly sore for days.

The reason I want to specifically build more muscle is because I know in the long term, I need to if I want to reach my peak in sprinting. I'm just too skinny right now.
Here is my two cents on lifting for power. I will keep this brief and leave as a concept rather than a routine. Lets say you can do a squat set for say....8 reps with good form. Do it for 3-5 reps real fast. for 3-5 sets. Make very slow steady progress . I was doing legs once a week and had to recover for 3-5 days. I cut it back to every other week in favor of more work on the bike.(I have a lots of years in the gym under my belt though) It sucks waiting for the soreness to go away to ride again. Glad to see your back at it veloman :)

velomanct said:

I'm completely focused on sprints again. For a few weeks I was doing endurance, but I can't not focus on sprinting.

I have a feeling I will be getting another powertap by summer. It gives you that extra bit of motivation to get the watts up.

Let me know how the training is going and if got any more questions. GL[/QU

Billsworld said:
velomanct said:

Have to agree with most of what I see. To sprint faster, sprint often but allow full recovery between efforts. Remember that training for improved sprinting is different than improving ones ability to win track sprints.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Billsworld said:

How's the peak power coming along?

I was looking at my profiles and what two years ago was my strength, my sprint, has now turned into my weakness, 5s has gone down 20% in two years and about 10-15% in just last year. Are you concerned at all with maintaining fitness in other areas or just working on the sprint? How many sprint oriented workouts a week?

Woofer said:
How's the peak power coming along?

I was looking at my profiles and what two years ago was my strength, my sprint, has now turned into my weakness, 5s has gone down 20% in two years and about 10-15% in just last year. Are you concerned at all with maintaining fitness in other areas or just working on the sprint? How many sprint oriented workouts a week?
I am not sure if that directed at me or Veloman, but mine is going well. Off to Florida for a week with bike. Might hit the track in Lauderdale. Other than a freak peak its been around 1700, 5 sec 1580 ....Puts me in Peaks above average catagory. Stupid Andy:) . I am heavy though; 195 lbs. Looking for 10 sec power and speed now. I swim 2 times per week and sprint 3 times. 1 day sprint 1 day overspeed 1 day starts and overspeed. Starts still suck. Lift 6 days a month....only 2 leg days a month in the gym.

Billsworld said:
I am not sure if that directed at me or Veloman, but mine is going well. Off to Florida for a week with bike. Might hit the track in Lauderdale. Other than a freak peak its been around 1700, 5 sec 1580 ....Puts me in Peaks above average catagory. Stupid Andy:) . I am heavy though; 195 lbs. Looking for 10 sec power and speed now. I swim 2 times per week and sprint 3 times. 1 day sprint 1 day overspeed 1 day starts and overspeed. Starts still suck. Lift 6 days a month....only 2 leg days a month in the gym.

I know you live in a cold place right now, but don't forget that you can't just be fast for 10 seconds and expect to win sprints. Think about doing some medium endurance ("tempo") intervals as warm ups for your sprint training, and some blocks of 15-20" sprints with only 3' recovery to help with the issues you'll face near the end of sprints. Or, enjoy the beach! A Florida tan during a New England winter...almost priceless.

WarrenG said:
I know you live in a cold place right now, but don't forget that you can't just be fast for 10 seconds and expect to win sprints. Think about doing some medium endurance ("tempo") intervals as warm ups for your sprint training, and some blocks of 15-20" sprints with only 3' recovery to help with the issues you'll face near the end of sprints. Or, enjoy the beach! A Florida tan during a New England winter...almost priceless.
O sure make me do some hard stuff. is that at 100% or based on HR.??

Billsworld said:
My training is going well again. Lifting 3 times a week (squat, deadlift, step-up), and sprinting about twice a week. Today was a crappy, cold, and I felt slow at first. I ended up doing a bunch of really short accelerations (2 or 3 seconds). I DESPISE doing much sprinting (especially long efforts) when I am wrapped in all my winter clothing. It's so restrictive and UGH! After my ride I did some deadlifts with 195. I'm still working my way up, so I'm not putting a whole lot of effort in my lifts. I took your advice Bill, and so I am making more gradual increases. It sounds like you are making some good progress, peak of 1700? nice.

WarrenG said:
I should be only allowed to do 20+ second efforts, lol. I do way too much short stuff. I figure when the warm weather comes I will start the longer stuff. Who the heck does 3 second sprints? yeh, me

velomanct said:
My training is going well again. Lifting 3 times a week (squat, deadlift, step-up), and sprinting about twice a week. Today was a crappy, cold, and I felt slow at first. I ended up doing a bunch of really short accelerations (2 or 3 seconds). I DESPISE doing much sprinting (especially long efforts) when I am wrapped in all my winter clothing. It's so restrictive and UGH! After my ride I did some deadlifts with 195. I'm still working my way up, so I'm not putting a whole lot of effort in my lifts. I took your advice Bill, and so I am making more gradual increases. It sounds like you are making some good progress, peak of 1700? nice.
nice ....25 lbs a year on your squat is a hundred lbs in 4 years, and it wont hurt your riding. Your a young buck. I hope you get real fast...Other than that one day thats where I am right now.

Billsworld said:
O sure make me do some hard stuff. is that at 100% or based on HR.??

ME ("tempo") intervals are about 10-20 bpm below threshold. Sprints... sprints are always 100%! For you, aim at around 900-1000 watts for each uphill sprint if you're doing more than a few. Sprints now are hard, painful work, so you can have more fun in the summer!

A buddy of mine and I have a little saying, "Champions train in the cold, dark, wet, winter."

When you go fast in the August sun you'll think back to all those sprints you did on a cold, wet road.

WarrenG said:
ME ("tempo") intervals are about 10-20 bpm below threshold. Sprints... sprints are always 100%! For you, aim at around 900-1000 watts for each uphill sprint if you're doing more than a few. Sprints now are hard, painful work, so you can have more fun in the summer!

A buddy of mine and I have a little saying, "Champions train in the cold, dark, wet, winter."

When you go fast in the August sun you'll think back to all those sprints you did on a cold, wet road.
Thanks again. I complain alot about the cold, but if its above 35, i am not all that uncomfortable. The starts hurt a bit though

Billsworld said:
Thanks again. I complain alot about the cold, but if its above 35, i am not all that uncomfortable. The starts hurt a bit though
Right now I am dreaming of going 55mph down my favorite hills in 80 degree sunshine.