Meths Stove

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Baker, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Fran wrote
    "I have now finally used my meths-burning stove and I like it a lot.
    It's slow to boil water but the meths is cheap and the whole thing (not
    a Trangia but very like it) is stable and I think I'm in love. The only
    thing is - the meths. Why did no one tell me how utterly disgusting the
    smell of meths is? Why did no one warn me of the totally vile and
    nauseating gag-making aroma? So, here's the question: Given that I
    want to continue using my Trangisn't, what can I use instead of meths?
    And can I send my teenagers into a shop to buy it?"

    Change your brand of meths Fran, you should get little smell from a Trangia
    (I don't), you have to be 18 to buy meths in the UK (its alcohol) and you
    can burn Vodka!

    Tags:

  2. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Why did no one tell me how utterly disgusting the
    > smell of meths is? what can I use instead of meths?
    > And can I send my teenagers into a shop to buy it?"
    >
    > Change your brand of meths Fran, you should get little smell from a Trangia
    > (I don't), you have to be 18 to buy meths in the UK (its alcohol) and you
    > can burn Vodka!

    The problem with looking for alternative brands of meths is that when
    it's needed there's generally only one shop in the area that sells it.

    Vodka??

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Fran wrote:

    > The problem with looking for alternative brands of meths is that when
    > it's needed there's generally only one shop in the area that sells it.
    >
    > Vodka??

    It will work, because it's over 100% proof. I remember once someone
    turned up at a bothy I was staying in with some "Welsh Whisky" which was
    passed around and generally felt to be undrinkable, so just as a joke we
    ran the Trangia on it. Problems are expense and since most spirits are
    actually watered down after distillation you have a lot of water in the
    fuel. That means less soot, but also harder to light and greater weight
    of fuel compared to useful heat output. cask strength whisky will work
    better, being up to about 60% abv, but that will still be less efficient
    and /seriously/ expensive, and you'll probably want to drink it anyway!

    If you know anyone who works in a lab then lab alcohol works very well
    indeed, burns cleaner and isn't as smelly. Some schools still have old
    stashes of duplicator fluid from the pre-cheap photocopier days, and if
    so this burns very well indeed in a trangia, but it's quite rare to find
    any these days. I've heard that "Panel wipe" from the auto trade is
    reckoned to work well, though I've not used it myself.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] said...
    >> Why did no one tell me how utterly disgusting the
    >> smell of meths is? what can I use instead of meths?
    >> And can I send my teenagers into a shop to buy it?"
    >>
    >> Change your brand of meths Fran, you should get little smell from a Trangia
    >> (I don't), you have to be 18 to buy meths in the UK (its alcohol) and you
    >> can burn Vodka!
    >>

    > The problem with looking for alternative brands of meths is that when
    > it's needed there's generally only one shop in the area that sells it.
    >
    > Vodka??

    What about isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, rubbing alcohol) ? Not
    quite as multipurpose as vodka or brandy, but a good deal cheaper and
    fairly easily available from a chemist, maybe even to under-18s.

    It's said to burn rather sooty, but that might not be a problem
    if you prefer the smell. There are quite a lot of useful websites
    to be found if you google for 'alcohol stove'.

    -adrian

  5. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > > The problem with looking for alternative brands of meths is that when
    > > it's needed there's generally only one shop in the area that sells it.
    > >
    > > Vodka??
    > >

    > What about isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, rubbing alcohol) ? Not
    > quite as multipurpose as vodka or brandy, but a good deal cheaper and
    > fairly easily available from a chemist, maybe even to under-18s.

    Thanks for that idea - I shall investigate. Maybe even tomorrow morning
    while I'm having a lie-in :)
    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  6. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Fran wrote:
    > [email protected] said...
    >>What about isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, rubbing alcohol) ? Not
    >>quite as multipurpose as vodka or brandy, but a good deal cheaper and
    >>fairly easily available from a chemist, maybe even to under-18s.
    >>

    > Thanks for that idea - I shall investigate. Maybe even tomorrow morning
    > while I'm having a lie-in :)

    Isopropyl alcohol is _very_ sooty when it burns. Rubbing alcohol - if
    it's 'surgical spirit', is also very sooty and the pervasive smell of
    camphor is not to everyone's taste!

    Jim Ford