Mexican oregano

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > It reminds me of the person who, about 3 months ago, asked, "Can you make
> > lasagna at home? How?"

> So what's wrong with that? Granted, to most of us who have spent
> more than a few minutes passing through a kitchen, that seems like a
> very, very basic (to the point of silliness, perhaps) question - but
> we also have to realize that today, there's an awful lot of people out
> there for whom "dinner" means something that came out of a plastic
> tray you put in the microwave, or that you get only at a restaurant.
> At least they're showing SOME interest in learning how to do it
> themselves, and that sort of thing needs to be encouraged, not
> ridiculed. If they turn out to be a troll, then fine - killfile 'em later,
> and what have you really lost but a few minutes of time?
>
> Bob M.

Very true! :)

My lab partner all thru school once wanted to roast some ham steaks to
impress her boyfriend with a nice dinner when we were living in apts.
during our clinicals.

I told her to set the oven on 350, put the steaks in there and remove
them when they looked done. Slighly toasty brown on top.

She griped "that was the same thing her mother had told her". <lol>
Sorry I could not give her an exact time, but I did not know what the
steaks weighed, and I usually _fry_ ham steaks!

A lot of people even in my generation (I'm 43) barely know how to boil
water. It's very sad!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Peter, every so often, humanity panics because of the latest disease du
>> jour, like bird flu. But, nobody notices an ongoing plague: People who
>> are
>> totally unable to figure things out for themselves because they've been
>> conditioned (by TV, the web, who knows....) to expect instant
>> information.
>> This condition only gets worse if we allow it to, and we end up with a
>> generation that opens books using a long stick, because the book might

> bite
>> them.

> You don't think it's equally bad if those people get conditioned
> never, ever to ask someone else - especially in a forum which
> claims to be frequented by those knowledgeable on a given subject
> - because they're afraid of being ridiculed for even asking?
>
> Give me a break...
>
> Bob M.

Well, let's take this to the point of absurdity. Here we have someone who
apparently can't bring themselves to experiment by trying the oregano they
have on hand. Now, extrapolate from there. Instead of designing experiments,
what if scientists simply got online and asked each other what they thought
MIGHT happen if they did this, that or the other thing? We may as well
cancel science. Now, back in the world of cooking, do you think this dish
ever would've existed if a chef didn't experiment a bit? Is this as wild,
less wild, or more wild than trying the oregano that was already in the
cabinet?

Roasted Lamb Loin with Black Ligurian Olives and Sausage served with Potato,
Artichoke and Parmesan Cheese Tort
Adapted from Robert Donna by StarChefs

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

a.. 1 lamb loin, deboned, cleaned
b.. 4 tablespoons Ligurian black olive purée*
c.. 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
d.. 2 pounds Italian pork sausages
e.. 6 ounces white bread, or 3 ounces white and 3 ounces wheat, without
crust
f.. 1 cup milk
g.. 1 egg white
h.. Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Black Ligurian Olive Sauce

i.. 1 cup veal juice or stock
j.. 3 ounces Ligurian black olive purée*
k.. 2 shallots
l.. 1 garlic clove
m.. 2 thyme sprigs
n.. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
o.. 1 ounce Porcini mushrooms
p.. 1/2 cup dry white wine
Potato, Artichoke and Parmesan Cheese Tort

q.. 4 large artichokes, cleaned and thinly sliced at the last minute
r.. 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
s.. 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
t.. 4 ounces melted butter
u.. 1 medium onion, sliced, cooked and caramelized
v.. 2 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
w.. Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
To prepare the sauce:
Slice the shallot and smash the garlic clove with a knife. Place in a pan
with the olive oil, sauté the shallot and garlic, and remove the last one
when it turns a nice golden color. Add the sliced mushrooms and thyme. Cook
for 1 minute and then add the wine. Reduce completely and then add the veal
juice and black olive purée. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme and then
purée the whole thing.

To prepare the sausage:
Soak the bread in the milk. Cut the loin, open butterfly style and spread
olive purée on it. Roll back to a round shape. Mix the sausage meat with the
bread drained from the milk and eggwhite wrap the loin with it. Roast at
400°F for 8 minutes and let rest for 6 minutes before cutting.

To prepare the tort:
Preheat the oven at 350°F. Take a 6-inch non-stick pan, grease the bottom
and sides. Alternate layers of potato, artichokes and Pecorino cheese;
sprinkle each layer with onions, thyme, butter, salt and pepper, until you
fill the pan entirely (go over the top if you want, it will shrink). Place
in the oven, cover with foil and cook for 1 hour. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
Unmold from the non-stick pan and serve warm.

*Available at Ranieri or gourmet markets, like Sutton Place Gourmet, Fresh
Fields, and Dean & Deluca.

Wine Suggestion
Barbaresco

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Peter, every so often, humanity panics because of the latest disease du
> > jour, like bird flu. But, nobody notices an ongoing plague: People who are
> > totally unable to figure things out for themselves because they've been
> > conditioned (by TV, the web, who knows....) to expect instant information.
> > This condition only gets worse if we allow it to, and we end up with a
> > generation that opens books using a long stick, because the book might

> bite
> > them.

> You don't think it's equally bad if those people get conditioned
> never, ever to ask someone else - especially in a forum which
> claims to be frequented by those knowledgeable on a given subject
> - because they're afraid of being ridiculed for even asking?
>
> Give me a break...
>
> Bob M.

People new to the internet...

Believe it or not, some of them have never even heard of "google" and
don't even know what a search engine is!

It's our job to teach them. ;-)

If you don't want to type out an essay, how much effort and time does it
take to post a google link?
--

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:50:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob Myers?
>

> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> It reminds me of the person who, about 3 months ago, asked, "Can you
> >> make lasagna at home? How?"

> > So what's wrong with that? Granted, to most of us who have spent
> > more than a few minutes passing through a kitchen, that seems like a
> > very, very basic (to the point of silliness, perhaps) question - but
> > we also have to realize that today, there's an awful lot of people out
> > there for whom "dinner" means something that came out of a plastic
> > tray you put in the microwave, or that you get only at a restaurant.
> > At least they're showing SOME interest in learning how to do it
> > themselves, and that sort of thing needs to be encouraged, not
> > ridiculed. If they turn out to be a troll, then fine - killfile 'em
> > later, and what have you really lost but a few minutes of time?
> >
> > Bob M.

> You don't understand, Bob. Doug's time is so valuable that he can't
> afford to lose a single second on anything he doesn't deem worthy.
>
> Don't you wish your time was worth that much? <g>

So what did Doug have for dinner last night? :)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Google for "Mole'" ;-)

> ..and ignore anything that turns up with respect to a small
> undergroud-dwelling rodent...:)
>
> Bob M.

<lol>
That's why the apostrophe.......
--

In article <7T9Af.76866$4l5.49357@dukeread05>,
Roberta <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob Myers wrote:
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Google for "Mole'" ;-)

> > ..and ignore anything that turns up with respect to a small
> > undergroud-dwelling rodent...:)
> >
> > Bob M.
> >

> Yes - I can see how a rodent in the chili would be a bad thing LOL
>
> Roberta (in VA)

Oh I dunno.

Squirrel might actually make pretty decent chile, if you could catch
enough of them!

Oh, I know!
Beaver Chili! Or Nutria.
Both are rodents and big enough to make an entire pot of chili!

<lol>

I'll pass on the muskrat.......

;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:50:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
>> Myers?
>>

>> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > So what's wrong with that? Granted, to most of us who have spent
>> > more than a few minutes passing through a kitchen, that seems like a
>> > very, very basic (to the point of silliness, perhaps) question - but
>> > we also have to realize that today, there's an awful lot of people out
>> > there for whom "dinner" means something that came out of a plastic
>> > tray you put in the microwave, or that you get only at a restaurant.
>> > At least they're showing SOME interest in learning how to do it
>> > themselves, and that sort of thing needs to be encouraged, not
>> > ridiculed. If they turn out to be a troll, then fine - killfile 'em
>> > later, and what have you really lost but a few minutes of time?
>> >
>> > Bob M.

>> You don't understand, Bob. Doug's time is so valuable that he can't
>> afford to lose a single second on anything he doesn't deem worthy.
>>
>> Don't you wish your time was worth that much? <g>

> So what did Doug have for dinner last night? :)
> --
> Om.

Exquisite, elegant meat loaf, rosemary-roasted little red potatoes, cucumber
salad.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I'm not as rude as you like to be sometimes. ;-)
> I may be a flirt, but I do try to be helpful as well.
> I do love to cook after all.... and with fresh herbs when possible.

Flirting is fine, but even if some don't like it at least you
contribute helpful information between licks.

> IMHO it was still a legitimate question to ask of this list,

Very legitimate, more so than most... because a small spoonful of
Mexican oregano can ruin an entire pot of chili for some, would for
me... in fact it has, once. And chili typically entails lots of
costly ingredients, a lot of labor, and a lot of cooking time.... $20+
worth of meat, etc. can be absolutely destroyed with 10¢ worth of
Mexican oregano. I don't bother making chili in small quantities
(that's for the canned chili heater-uppers), I typically fill a ten
quart pot, to the brim. I grind all my own meat, use lots of costly
dried chili peppers, all kinds of ingredients that ain't cheap or a
quick prep. Anyone hasn't seen my chili recipe it's in the rfc
cookbook, and easily found seaching google.

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri 20 Jan 2006 11:50:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
> >> Myers?

> >> You don't understand, Bob. Doug's time is so valuable that he can't
> >> afford to lose a single second on anything he doesn't deem worthy.
> >>
> >> Don't you wish your time was worth that much? <g>

> > So what did Doug have for dinner last night? :)
> > --
> > Om.

> Exquisite, elegant meat loaf, rosemary-roasted little red potatoes, cucumber
> salad.

Oh my...
It's been so long since I've eaten spuds, I'd forgotten how good
rosemary was with them.

I'll have to try some with carrot.
The Rosemary bush in the herb garden is getting quite large!

I rarely make meatloaf... I don't like to fire up the oven that often.
That might change if I pick up a toaster oven.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It reminds me of the person who, about 3 months ago, asked, "Can you make
> lasagna at home? How?"

So what's wrong with that? Granted, to most of us who have spent
more than a few minutes passing through a kitchen, that seems like a
very, very basic (to the point of silliness, perhaps) question - but
we also have to realize that today, there's an awful lot of people out
there for whom "dinner" means something that came out of a plastic
tray you put in the microwave, or that you get only at a restaurant.
At least they're showing SOME interest in learning how to do it
themselves, and that sort of thing needs to be encouraged, not
ridiculed. If they turn out to be a troll, then fine - killfile 'em later,
and what have you really lost but a few minutes of time?

Bob M.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here:
> General Description
> Mediterranean Oregano is the dried leaf of Origanum vulgare L., a perennial
> herb in the mint family. Mexican Oregano is the dried leaf of one of several
> plants of the Lippia genus. Geographical Sources
> Oregano is grown in California and New Mexico, as well as the Mediterranean
> region.

<snipped rest>

Excellent!!!

Now see, was that any more effort than posting a sarcasm????? :)

Good boy! <pats dougie on head>
--

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >>

> > I'm not as rude as you like to be sometimes. ;-)
> > I may be a flirt, but I do try to be helpful as well.
> > I do love to cook after all.... and with fresh herbs when possible.

> Flirting is fine, but even if some don't like it at least you
> contribute helpful information between licks.

;-)

> > IMHO it was still a legitimate question to ask of this list,

> Very legitimate, more so than most... because a small spoonful of
> Mexican oregano can ruin an entire pot of chili for some, would for
> me... in fact it has, once. And chili typically entails lots of
> costly ingredients, a lot of labor, and a lot of cooking time.... $20+
> worth of meat, etc. can be absolutely destroyed with 10¢ worth of
> Mexican oregano. I don't bother making chili in small quantities
> (that's for the canned chili heater-uppers), I typically fill a ten
> quart pot, to the brim. I grind all my own meat, use lots of costly
> dried chili peppers, all kinds of ingredients that ain't cheap or a
> quick prep. Anyone hasn't seen my chili recipe it's in the rfc
> cookbook, and easily found seaching google.
>
> Sheldon

I understand...

I tend to make chili in small batches tho'. I don't even add ANY
oregano! IMHO it's not really needed. I keep it pretty basic. Onions,
garlic, fresh roasted chili powder (I make myself), a little black
pepper, just a hint of cumin and a teensy smidgin of cinnamon and fresh
ginger root.

No need to over-do.

I've not tried adding cocoa. I'll put that on my "to do" list.

There are only the two of us, and I try to limit frozen leftovers. They
tend to get wasted. :-(

Shredded chicken makes for excellent chili, but my last batch was made
with venison and course chopped pork.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Rosemary bush in the herb garden is getting quite large!

Here, they suffer terribly indoors in the winter. "Try and reproduce their
native environment...", say the garden books. Yeah. Right. Mine look awful
at the moment. If I can just keep the 3 plants limping along until April,
all will be well.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here:
>> General Description
>> Mediterranean Oregano is the dried leaf of Origanum vulgare L., a
>> perennial
>> herb in the mint family. Mexican Oregano is the dried leaf of one of
>> several
>> plants of the Lippia genus. Geographical Sources
>> Oregano is grown in California and New Mexico, as well as the
>> Mediterranean
>> region.

> <snipped rest>
>
> Excellent!!!
>
> Now see, was that any more effort than posting a sarcasm????? :)
>
> Good boy! <pats dougie on head>
> --
> Om.

Effort's not the point, Ms. Om. This is a matter of someone choosing to be
helpless and not learn. I guess I'm not surprised, considering how learning
is a lost art for at least one or two younger generations.

Dougie Kanter wrote:

> Effort's not the point, Ms. Om. This is a matter of someone choosing to be
> helpless and not learn.

Subscibing to and participating in a Newsgroup IS a quest for
knowledge... Mr. Know It All, Know-Nothing. And LEARN to trim your
posts, you NEWBIE.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:12:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Who pulled your tampon string???

Gotta remember that one. LOL!

Carol

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > The Rosemary bush in the herb garden is getting quite large!

> Here, they suffer terribly indoors in the winter. "Try and reproduce their
> native environment...", say the garden books. Yeah. Right. Mine look awful
> at the moment. If I can just keep the 3 plants limping along until April,
> all will be well.

Move to Texas... ;-)

It does freeze here, but not with any frequency. We've had 3 hard
freezes this winter, but my perrenial herbs are right next to the house
on the west side. Seems the heat from the house protects them.

Fragile ones and annuals go into the pop-up greenhouse. I have live
Basil right now! yay!

The ones wintering over in the ground are:

Rosemary
Sage (2 varieties)
Dittany
Thyme (2 varieties)
Mexican Oregano
Italian Oregano
Curry

The russian sage over by the fence is also surviving, but it's an
ornamental. Other Salvias do well around here also.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:13:06 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It reminds me of the person who, about 3 months ago, asked, "Can you make
>lasagna at home? How?"

Perfectly valid question if you've grown up eating Chef Boy-R-Dee
"lasagna" from a can, the frozen Stouffer's stuff, or ordering it in
restaurants.

Why are you being so nasty?

Carol