Mexican oregano

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:20:25 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:09:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>It *should* be the 60s. Have you seen what teachers let kids get away with
>>>nowadays? It's like the schools are running little social clubs, not
>>>educational institutions.

>> No idea. My kidlette is 27.

>Does your kidlette run to the web if she wants skim milk in her cereal, but
>there's only 1% milk in the house?

Nope, my kidlette is frighteningly intelligent. She wouldn't have
purchased the 1% in the first place.

Carol

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:20:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:51:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Earlier, someone mentioned a question they'd seen here, in which someone
>>>asked whether fenugreek & fennel were interchangable. I say that person
>>>was
>>>a lazy slob for not opening a dictionary first. What you do you think
>>>about
>>>that example?

>> Hey! That was me! You're being mean again!

>No way that was you.

Busted! I don't know what fenugreek is, and I don't give a rip.
Fennel, on the other hand, is a dear, dear friend.

Carol

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:46:27 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Try "Mole' sauce" instead for the use of chocolate in mexican foods.

> What? You don't want plastic surgery websites with before and after
> photos of mole removals? No cute little underground critters? You
> take the fun out of everything! *****. ;o)
>
> Carol

<smooch> ;-D

Too many hits to search thru...
Don't got the time! <G>
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:08:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Effort's not the point, Ms. Om. This is a matter of someone choosing to be
> >helpless and not learn. I guess I'm not surprised, considering how learning
> >is a lost art for at least one or two younger generations.

> Asking questions is a prelude to learning.
>
> Carol

As we tell new trainees at work:

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!
We would rather you ask stupid questions than make stupid mistakes..."

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > At least consider helping them to help themselves.
> >

> Sometimes I do. You know that. But, I live with a 16 year old kid who, when
> faced with some problems, usually says "No...wait....don't tell me. Let me
> see if I can figure it out". I have an enormous amount of respect for that
> quality.

My teachers in school always made me look it up. ;-)
Said I'd remember it better that way...

but at least they told me WHERE to look it up!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:08:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Effort's not the point, Ms. Om. This is a matter of someone choosing to be
> >>helpless and not learn. I guess I'm not surprised, considering how
> >>learning
> >>is a lost art for at least one or two younger generations.

> > Asking questions is a prelude to learning.
> >
> > Carol

> Earlier, someone mentioned a question they'd seen here, in which someone
> asked whether fenugreek & fennel were interchangable. I say that person was
> a lazy slob for not opening a dictionary first. What you do you think about
> that example?

There is no need to paint everyone with the same brush luv...
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:45:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My teachers in school always made me look it up. ;-)
>Said I'd remember it better that way...
>
>but at least they told me WHERE to look it up!

My mom was that way. I'd ask how to spell something, and she'd direct
me to the dictionary. In my very early teens, I requested an
unabridged dictionary for Christmas. I was a weird kid.

Carol, who hasn't changed much over the years

Narrow it down. Search at www.starchefs.com or other cooking sites.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Asking questions is a prelude to learning.
>> >
>> > Carol

>> Earlier, someone mentioned a question they'd seen here, in which someone
>> asked whether fenugreek & fennel were interchangable. I say that person
>> was
>> a lazy slob for not opening a dictionary first. What you do you think
>> about
>> that example?
>>

> There is no need to paint everyone with the same brush luv...
> --
> Om.

What do you think was going through that person's head??? Both spices begin
with "fen", so they're related? Sure. They both come from plants.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you don't want to type out an essay, how much effort and time does it
> > take to post a google link?

> Exactly. But you DON'T just say "my God, what an idiotic
> question - go away and don't bother me with such absurdities!"
> in any case.
>
> Bob M.

'zactly.
It tends to intimidate and scare of newbies.

And that just unfair......
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > ..and ignore anything that turns up with respect to a small
> > > undergroud-dwelling rodent...:)
> > >
> > > Bob M.
> > >

> > <lol>
> > That's why the apostrophe.......

> I actually went and tried it, once you pointed this out - Google
> doesn't seem to speak apostrophes.
>
> Bob M.

More's the pity. :p
Maybe someone should point it out to them?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:45:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My teachers in school always made me look it up. ;-)
> >Said I'd remember it better that way...
> >
> >but at least they told me WHERE to look it up!

> My mom was that way. I'd ask how to spell something, and she'd direct
> me to the dictionary. In my very early teens, I requested an
> unabridged dictionary for Christmas. I was a weird kid.
>
> Carol, who hasn't changed much over the years

Sounds like you were a smart kid......

How many cookbooks do you own? :-D
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > If you don't want to type out an essay, how much effort and time does
>> > it
>> > take to post a google link?

>> Exactly. But you DON'T just say "my God, what an idiotic
>> question - go away and don't bother me with such absurdities!"
>> in any case.
>>
>> Bob M.
>>

> 'zactly.
> It tends to intimidate and scare of newbies.
>
> And that just unfair......
> --
> Om.

I wonder what would happen if, instead of one shake of salt on these french
fries, I tried two.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Earlier, someone mentioned a question they'd seen here, in which someone
> >> asked whether fenugreek & fennel were interchangable. I say that person
> >> was
> >> a lazy slob for not opening a dictionary first. What you do you think
> >> about
> >> that example?
> >>

> > There is no need to paint everyone with the same brush luv...
> > --
> > Om.

> What do you think was going through that person's head??? Both spices begin
> with "fen", so they're related? Sure. They both come from plants.

I was talking about the Oregano dude dude!

I've not seen the OP pop back in.
Wonder if we scared them off? ;-)

This was a pretty intense thread!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Exactly. But you DON'T just say "my God, what an idiotic
> >> question - go away and don't bother me with such absurdities!"
> >> in any case.
> >>
> >> Bob M.
> >>

> > 'zactly.
> > It tends to intimidate and scare of newbies.
> >
> > And that just unfair......
> > --
> > Om.

> I wonder what would happen if, instead of one shake of salt on these french
> fries, I tried two.

You would die of hypertension...... ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You don't understand, Bob. Doug's time is so valuable that he can't
> afford to lose a single second on anything he doesn't deem worthy.

Sleep must be a REAL problem, then....:)

Bob M.

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:56:45 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:45:38 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >My teachers in school always made me look it up. ;-)
>> >Said I'd remember it better that way...
>> >
>> >but at least they told me WHERE to look it up!

>> My mom was that way. I'd ask how to spell something, and she'd direct
>> me to the dictionary. In my very early teens, I requested an
>> unabridged dictionary for Christmas. I was a weird kid.
>>
>> Carol, who hasn't changed much over the years

>Sounds like you were a smart kid......

No, just well indoctrinated by Mom.

>How many cookbooks do you own? :-D

Lots. Most have never been, and will never be, opened. I've been
giving some of them as gifts, since they're virtually brand new.

I pretty much stick with good ol' Betty Crocker. However, the South
Beach diet book and cookbook (2 separate voumes) are wonderful, and
I'll be using those as my primary sources of recipes. Even if you're
not doing the diet, the recipes look quite good.

Carol

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:59:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I wonder what would happen if, instead of one shake of salt on these french
>fries, I tried two.

You would die of iodine poisoning.

Carol

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:04:58 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This was a pretty intense thread!

I dunno, I'm having a great time!

Carol