Mia?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RedHotIron, Apr 14, 2007.

1. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

What happened to my post comparing bikes across time ('90 vs current?)

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

:confused: Sorry but this is a very complicated subject. It sounds as if it is something that only long time LBS Owners and economists would be able to discuss with any authority.

3. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

I was looking more for a subjective rider's broad sense of the difference between two comparable bikes of two eras, based on the comparison of several such bikes. Not rocket science, but a rough comparison.

I'm considering a new road bike & wondering whether it makes sense to replace my '90 Peugeot. (aftermarket FX alu fork, Mavic SUP wheels circa '95. I'm a util/rec rider.

4. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Suggest you go out to your LBS and do some test riding of bikes in the $1500-2000 range. Steel will be a bit hard to find vs aluminum and CF, but don't worry about the frame materials. Everything will have a CF fork anyway.

Believe you'll notice some differences in weight, shifting, handling and ride feel. Whether those differences are worth buying is a personal decision of course. One caution: if you can't afford a new bike now, test rides may be a bad idea :)

5. RedHotIron

RedHotIron New Member

Thanks, that's the kind of answer i had in mind.

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If you change your fork to a good carbon fiber fork, you can probably restore the ride characteristic to that of your bike's original steel fork (see atttachment) ... that is, the pretty-good LOOK fork did not change the ride characteristcs of the bike over the original "carbolite" steel fork (must be a heck of a fork).

Only the dropout adjusters are original to the bike ... some people don't think it is worth upgrading an old frame ... obviously, I disagree with that notion.

FWIW. I have to tell you that MY Peugeot (once deemed my "Winter" bike, but I ride it more often than not) rides ESSENTIALLY THE SAME as my Colnago -- the MAIN differnce is that the Peugeot (at about 22 lbs.) is heavier. The main triangles of the two particular frames have EXACTLY THE SAME geometry & dimensions. The only difference is that the Peugeot has slightly longer chainstays.

The ride-for-ride comparison (on consecutive days) was a revelation (to me) ...

Consequently, I test almost ALL new components on the Peugeot.

I suppose that beneath the right rider, the Colnago can be made to do more things ... but, I know I'll never dive into a 90ยบ turn hard enough or fast enough where it might make any difference which of the two frames I ride.